Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM

I have generally had great experiences here both selling and buying. There's been a few of the "I will take it" and the money never shows and in the meantime I have passed up a few other prospective buyers.

One idea I wanted to start using is letting the person know it's theirs, they have XX amount of time to get the money to me and if not, I am free to sell to the next person, so they can't have recourse and bash me for selling it out from under them.

The WTB issue will always be a problem. I have posted a few lately, found what I needed and believe I responded to everyone with a thanks and status.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 PM

All of my actual transactions here have been great. The near misses have been gems. You have to use your "spidey sense".
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
People are strange...anyone answer a WTB and the person doesn't have the courtesy to reply at all? really? ho hard is it to say thanks but no?
Ugh. I think I may have failed the common courtesy test recently. You’re right and I’m sorry. I’ve been so busy with work and family that I posted a WTB and then failed to respond to the PMs. It wasn’t proactively nasty on my part.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the other didn't, even went ahead and said "you should have taken a deposit and this would have not happened". Will not be selling anything to that guy, that is for damn sure.
And you're sure he wasn't being sarcastic? And you're sure you're not using quotations to describe your interpretation of what he said, rather than what was actually typed?

Just an FYI, I know the answer to the questions I'm asking.

Hate is way too strong a word, but the thing I don't like about the classifieds, is the same thing I love about them--people! Generosity, trust, kindness, understanding, as well as attitudes, complexity of perceptions, ego, knee jerk reactions and, basically, how my finite perspective capably responds. Karma comes to mind, and as they say, is a bitch.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 05-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
And you're sure he wasn't being sarcastic? And you're sure you're not using quotations to describe your interpretation of what he said, rather than what was actually typed?

Hate is way too strong a word, but the thing I don't like about the classifieds, is the same thing I love about them--people! Generosity, trust, kindness, understanding, as well as attitudes, complexity of perceptions, ego, knee jerk reactions and, basically, how my finite perspective capably responds. Karma comes to mind, and as they say, is a bitch.

here I will actually quote what you wrote.... so I am not just quoting my interpretation of what you wrote to me.

"I knew nothing about the other shifters until after I asked for your email. Yes, it happened that suddenly. If you’re still upset or just can’t get your head around people changing their minds, then all I can offer you is a sincere apology that the deal fell through, take it or leave it. And thanks again for honoring your word and holding. Next time, get a deposit. "

this is after a week of holding the stuff for you with a commitment to buying the stuff.

But look, I don't hate the classifieds, or you or anything. Its just bike parts...

Last edited by R3awak3n; 05-13-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Mon dieu, I had no idea that the thing was so religious, spiritual, philosophical, karmic even, in addition to being laden with mysterious behind-the-scenes intrigue, etc. That's a whole bunch of stuff.

I thought that they were simply about a couple of people dealing in cycling goods, but now...well, now I trust the Classifieds even less!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Bumping a dead thread to self righteously attack a seller you screwed over isn't exactly disproving his point. This forum is full of great people so it makes the jerks stand out that much more.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:21 PM

I don´t know what´s the big deal really:
someone wants to buy? give him/her 24 hrs to pay. If so.. ship in a timely manner. If not, bump the item.
What´s so hard?
It ain´t that easy to sell used bikes or parts. It ain´t easy to sell new stuff also. I ain´t easy to sell: try working in a shop and dealing w/ customers who back up on sales all the time or complain about silly things.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:24 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

here I will actually quote what you wrote.... so I am not just quoting my interpretation of what you wrote to me.

"I knew nothing about the other shifters until after I asked for your email. Yes, it happened that suddenly. If you’re still upset or just can’t get your head around people changing their minds, then all I can offer you is a sincere apology that the deal fell through, take it or leave it. And thanks again for honoring your word and holding. Next time, get a deposit. "

this is after a week of holding the stuff for you with a commitment to buying the stuff.

But look, I don't have the classifieds, or you or anything. Its just bike parts...
Oof! When keepin it real goes wrong.

My experiences have been generally positive. Few, I had to put in the ignore list. Mostly just newer members. One long time member recently that puts up a for sale thread. I commit to buy at asking price. He says ok. Then crickets. See him post in other threads. Still no response. At least have the decency to say “no” or “it’s sold”. Another LT member sold me a product with some pretty obvious (superficial) flaws but failed to disclose it. Both are on ignore. Not angry over it. As R3awaken said, it’s just bike parts.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Bumping a dead thread to self righteously attack a seller you screwed over isn't exactly disproving his point. This forum is full of great people so it makes the jerks stand out that much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Oof! When keepin it real goes wrong.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 PM

When I sold my vintage Colnago cross bike was a very positive experience. The buyer lived several hours north of me and was interested in seeing it first before buying as I recall. Anyway, he was working a lot and really could not make it down. He said he would really want to buy it but could not make down to my area for a month or two or something like that. I figured he was just looking but I make a lay-away type offer. He declined and told if it is still there when he was in town he would buy it. I said ok. And you know what he did. Showed up in a minivan with his wonderful family (they were on a camping trip) and paid cash and all was good. It was fair and honest and really made me feel good about the world.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:26 PM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=221938
Old 05-13-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Interesting opinion. Doesn’t change the fact that I was misquoted.
Do you two know each other off of the forum by chance? Just curious.
Oh, and “jerk” just barely describes me. Is that all you got? Take your best shot.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
Complicated.

Last edited by cadence90; 05-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
That was well out of order on several levels. Gazumping a forum member is just not on IMO.