Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Thoughts on quad cramps?

Two years ago I did a MTB race. I think I was in pretty good shape, but the final section of hill did me in. My quads cramped up so badly that I had to get off the bike and sit on my knees, otherwise my leg would straighten out and give me crazy pain.

Did I...go too hard? Not take enough salt? Not enough info to say for sure?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Two years ago I did a MTB race. I think I was in pretty good shape, but the final section of hill did me in. My quads cramped up so badly that I had to get off the bike and sit on my knees, otherwise my leg would straighten out and give me crazy pain.

Did I...go too hard? Not take enough salt? Not enough info to say for sure?
Maybe. Cramps and what causes them can vary from one person to another. Salt helps me avoid cramps on long strenuous rides.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

In my experience anytime it happens it is almost always dietary and perhaps too little water consumed.
Never happens when mindful to eat my potatoes, bananas, vitamins, minerals, and LOTS of fluid.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:05 AM

When I'd do long (70+ mile) gravel races, I'd wear a camelbak with water and have a water bottle containing 3X strength electrolyte drink in a cage. I'd sip from the bottle and chase it with water from the camelbak.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

put some maple syrup in your water... stretch more
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Too much time has passed since the incident for us to pin it down. You should have asked directly after it happened.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Cramps can be from dehydration, electrolyte imbalance or just pushing the demand beyond what the muscle can do. In your particular case it could be any. My money is going too hard too early in the season if your think your hydration and nutrition were adequate.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
put some maple syrup in your water... stretch more
This. I’ve found when I cramp if I eat some honey it will go away for 30 more mins.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM

I've had cramping over my athletic career (pre-cycling) from dehydration and exceeding the demand of my muscles over time. The latter seems to have happened more with cycling than other sports.

Thankfully I rarely have cramping episodes anymore. It's not fun.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 PM

For those who use gels, I found that there is a huge variability in the different brand's products as far as sodium content, can range from 60mg to 240mg and that makes all the difference for me.

Of course the gel needs to be chased down with at least several oz of water if not more for the conditions.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM

I've dealt with this issue for many years, and it has also been discussed over and over again on the slowtwitch forum as it is a very common complaint.

I can tell you that the general consensus, as well as the latest research, all point to it NOT being a dietary / electrolyte issue.
It usually all gets back to over exertion. Like it or not, your muscles just get to a certain point when even if you don't feel tired, they say enough is enough and they seize up.

If you stop and take a break and drink an electrolyte slurry, and your cramps go away........its not because of the slurry, its because you took a little break.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Train more, also carry a small bottle of pickle juice. Stops cramp there and then. But you need to train more, there's no substitute for training
Old 04-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Lots of water...continuing long after the ride, and Hammer Anti-Fatigue Pills.

This (usually / hopefully) keeps me from cramping at night if I've done something exceptionally hard (ie metric century, rides with 100' + / mile of climbing).

On the bike, I rarely cramp except I did real bad during last year's Farmer's Daughter ride.

SPP™
Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
If you stop and take a break and drink an electrolyte slurry, and your cramps go away........its not because of the slurry, its because you took a little break.
I have gotten over cramps by taking a break. But cramps are a very strange phenomenon. If I am cramping, I can put an electrolyte pill in my mouth and the cramps will go away immediately. Only problem is the casing will eventually burst so when they get soft I have to spit them out. I discovered this myself, but it is borne out by research.

I have had cramps from drinking too much water. That is almost always preceded by stomach pain first.

Heat reduces your effective fitness. And a race is a perfect scenario to go harder than your fitness actually allows.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Train more, also carry a small bottle of pickle juice. Stops cramp there and then. But you need to train more, there's no substitute for training
This.
Pickle juice works. I go to WalMart, pickle isle, top shelf, Pickle Pops (pickle juice in a packet). Don't freeze them, just put the pouch(s) in your jersey pocket. Mustard packets also.