Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Administrator

OT clay target shooting...

I havent been in years.

Need to go buy some shotgun shells this afternoon.

talk to me - what should i be buying. i have literally never purchased shotgun shells myself in my adult life.

12 gauge over/under gun and a 20 gauge side/side
Old 12-20-2016, 09:02 AM
extremely tall

Best bet is Dick's Sporting Goods or Walmart (Caveat: I hate both of these chains); both sell bricks of shells for very reasonable $. Just look for "Target Loads"; typically these will be ~#8 shot.

I'm shooting Sporting Clays this Friday if the weather holds up...mini-golf with guns! : )
Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I havent been in years.

Need to go buy some shotgun shells this afternoon.

talk to me - what should i be buying. i have literally never purchased shotgun shells myself in my adult life.

12 gauge over/under gun and a 20 gauge side/side
Shouldn't matter much. those two types of guns will shoot the lowest cheapest field loads without any problems.

There are clay specific loads but in my experience, they are a waste of money unless you need high brass loads to cycle a semi-automatic, which you don't.

I'm jealous. I love to shoot but haven't been in a while.

Have fun and don't forget to cover your eyes and ears.

Pull!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 AM

I don't think I've shot skeet since I was 17. Quarter bag, case of cheap beer and foam ear plugs. Being young and dumb is a lot of fun if you survive.

Have fun, Nick!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Since you're in NJ sometimes easier said than done.

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.

Second, check with the range or preserve where you'll be shooting - lead may be prohibited and you'll have to go with steel shot. Dicks steel inventory is hit or miss (pun intended).

Third, if you're going to a range like M&M they have shells and it's easier to get it through the range.

Finally, if you're heading through Princeton I'd be happy to give you a few boxes. I have steel shot.

Best, Jason

Last edited by JasonF; 12-20-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't think I've shot skeet since I was 17. Quarter bag, case of cheap beer and foam ear plugs. Being young and dumb is a lot of fun if you survive.

Have fun, Nick!
ha, that's pretty much the plan here. we've even got the latest high tech thrower ready for use:

Old 12-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. It's hit or miss. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.

Second, check with the range or preserve where you'll be shooting - lead may be prohibited and you'll have to go with steel shot. Dicks steel inventory is hit or miss (pun intended).

Third, if you're going to a range like M&M they have shells and it's easier to get it through the range.

Finally, if you're heading through Princeton I'd be happy to give you a few boxes. I have steel shot.

Best, Jason
thanks Jason, i had a feeling NJ would complicate things slightly. I did get an FID card on a whim years ago, so i'm covered there - i dont think it expires, does it?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

If you're shooting Skeet just about anything from #7 1/2 through #9 shot size will work fine, Trap #7 1/2 or #8, 5 Stand #8, Sporting Clays #7 1/2 will cover any presentation that you may run up against.

Any of the inexpensive promo/field loads will do okay. They won't be as good as premium target loads but premium target loads are expensive these days. The promo load typically have more felt recoil than premium target loads due to the speed and weight of the load in the promo shells.

Be aware that the 20 ga SxS could have more felt recoil vs your O/U due to gun weight and bore axis.

Just curious what gun models are you going to be using?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:25 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. It's hit or miss. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.
In the Tri-State (NY-NJ-CT) metro area, everything's illegal.

Long guns are purchasable with State-ID so the ammunition is probably available with nothing more than State-ID, if even that. Pistols, and consequently pistol ammunition, is certainly handgun license-only.

Shooting clays is great fun. I'd always wanted to buy a sporting rifle just for the craft and the tradition of what goes into building one.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Man shooting clay pigeons is fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 AM

^ AGREED!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 AM

I'll be ammo snob and say buy Double As, Winchester AA. #6 to #9 and extra light to super handicap (more velocity/recoil). The cheap ammo uses a shot sleeve instead of a cup which causes several problems. First it tends to dirty up your gun faster and leaves more obnoxious residue. Second is the sleeve tends to curl in on the shot column as it leaves the barrel resulting in a wedge of reduced density in the shot pattern, worst case the pattern is like a pie with a big slice missing.

I use AAs for hunting dove, quail, and rabbit. I've even used super handicaps for pheasant in the right conditions although #4 or #6 premium field loads are usually better.

It doesn't have to be Winchester, pretty much all brands have an improved line of target ammo.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Man shooting clay pigeons is fun.
Definitely agreed! I like to shoot, rifle, handgun, shotgun...all fun.

I'm headed out to the indoor range with one of my cycling buddies today.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 PM

Have fun. I need to get out and shoot some this coming year. There's a public range nearby with a great skeet range and a decent sporting clays range. The hand held thrower is fun for running targets. I had my own place for a while and miss shooting dove and quail.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I like the Winchester Featherlite AA loads

Low Recoil (better target acquisition) and low noise.

I use the 2 3/4" low velocity (950 fps) for my cowboy action shooting (2 single action revolvers, lever rifle, double barrel coach gun) but the make higher velocity (1130 & 1280 ?) for clays.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.