Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 PM

I've been a sunglass nerd for for a bunch of years and have several pairs of Oakley, Smith, and Randolph sunglasses in my RX's which haven't changed a huge amount so the old glasses can still be worn.

I find the quality of Oakly RX lenses very good with the Randolph glasses coming in a close second. The Smith model I have are good but I made a mistake in not getting AR coating on them which has me stay away from them more than the others.

The Oakleys are standard and Asian fit Flakjackets. I find the standard fit good for general wear but due to how they fit my face they're less than ideal for cycling. The Asian version is much better for me due to the brow bar sitting higher and the slightly less curved/raked frame keeps wind out of my eyes better. The most used tint that I have is the discontinued VR-28 which is a copper/rose tint that works for many conditions here in NYS. My favorite lens to look through is the OO Black Iridium Polarized. That has a mild rose tint and is very non fatiguing to look through on bright days. My least liked tint and what I would consider only real dud for me is the low light persimmon lens. It's an orange base and for my eyes it just makes everything blend together

The new prizm lenses have some really great options but like anything you've got to know not only what you want the glasses to do but also what works in front of your eyes. I saw that they brought out a Prizm Low Light lens and when I tried it on I was blown out of the water for that the lens is designed for. I REALLY want that lens to be offered in an RX option one of these days.

My Randolph glasses are all the Ranger shooting frames I have half a dozen different lens tints for various uses. In those I find the dark purple to be the most useful lens which surprisingly doesn't cause a big color shift. I also get a bit of use out of the brown lens as well. I have owned these glasses for a lot of years and they're ugly as all get out but super functional for their intended purpose. The frames are VERY high quality.

The Smith glasses I have are the Approach Max. I have these in Smith's green/gray polarized lens. This lens is a direct copy of the Rayban g-15 tint but polarized. I use them on the bike during bright sun and also on the shooting range when teaching. The reason I didn't go with the AR coatings on these was due to concerns of scratching while in the range environment. Due to the lens curvature that was a big mistake because I get a good amount of reflection off the back of the lens.

What I REALLY wish though is that I didn't need RX lenses though! If that were the case I have about 10 pairs of Raybans, Bolle's, AO Optics, Vuarnet's, etc that don't get used anymore that I would put back into rotation !

Good subject.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 PM

One thing that I didn't add in my reply is that at least until a couple of years ago Smith utilized Zeiss for their RX lenses at least on my glasses. When they were sent the Zeiss lens bag was in the case with the glasses.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:08 PM

Smith Chromapop Polarized Lenses.

Amazing stuff.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do modern Oakleys even have the Oakley lenses anymore?

Oakley post Luxottica acquisition is not at all the same thing it was pre-acquisition.

I saw a massive massive difference in lens quality after the acquisition, there's no way I believe they are the same.

I thought Oakleys were great till I got some Rudy Project eyeglasses. No comparison at all, at least if we're talking Luxottica "Oakleys".
My experience with Rudy project is the opposite. Nothing special imo. They are a photochromic model, and IMO are never dark enough.

I just got a brand new pair of Holbrook’s with prizm, ice blue polarized and they are the best lenses yet I’ve used of the many Oakley’s I own or have owned. Had the exact same without the prizm previously and the new are definitely better.

I really like my jawbreaker for on the bike and use the darkest polarized model sans prizm. About the only pair I’ve found with unblocked vision and a perfect fit on my face with no contact anywhere besides the expected spots, a problem I typically have with that style.

Maui Jim’s have great lenses, but they were even more painfully priced than most Oakley glasses and I don’t think worth it. Mine are always staticky after cleaning with the included bag.

My favorite lens right now is julbos camel lens. The model I have (montebianco or something) are definitely not my favorite for style or fit, but for pure eye comfort and covering a wide range of sun conditions from high elevation mountain to super bright arizona sun by the pool these are my pick for lots of sun exposure. I think they drop to 4% transmission and are cat 4 rated.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Went and got a second pair with the trail lenses for CX this year.
these are excellent. either for CX/MTB or just on overcast days. even on the road, I wear them over the road ones 90% of the time. (well, Ohio also has many overcast days...)

plus in the fall when the leaves change, it looks absolutely incredible through them.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Cool many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStonebarger View Post
Not all.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sea...query_adv=ztek

Start at $1.89 and unlike most expensive sunglasses they're ANSI Z87.1-2015 and CSA Z94.3 certified to protect your eyes.
I ordered 6 pairs
orange tint yellow blue clear
grey
They arrived in 2 days
All fit great
20 bucks for all 6 pairs
I always lose pricey shades
or break them
6 pairs of Oakleys and counting
less is more
economy baby!!!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
these are excellent. either for CX/MTB or just on overcast days. even on the road, I wear them over the road ones 90% of the time. (well, Ohio also has many overcast days...)

plus in the fall when the leaves change, it looks absolutely incredible through them.
from the prizm comments here and prior it appears the trail lens is preferred - even on road.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post
+1 for prizm. colors pop. contrast increased. vision riding through dappled light through trees is improved.
I’m a big fan of the prizm lens too. For all the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the trail over the road but both are real nice.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 AM

I've been using a pair of 100% Speedcraft glasses. Really good lenses, great coverage and range of vision, retro look.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Been a Rudy Project fan for a long time. Love their stuff.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 AM

that's hilarious. but so perfect. they look like sharp glasses.

i'd do the same if i could (i need prescription lenses since i can't wear contacts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
I ordered 6 pairs
orange tint yellow blue clear
grey
They arrived in 2 days
All fit great
20 bucks for all 6 pairs
I always lose pricey shades
or break them
6 pairs of Oakleys and counting
less is more
economy baby!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Got a quick estimate for Wiley X prescription sunglasses last week. $650.
My aging eyes no longer tolerate contacts, but when they did I loved Smith Otis.

Glass guy said they no longer handle Oakley, seeing a definite quality issue since being bought out.

Years ago I was doing electrical work in the local Lense Crafter. I always viewed them as part of the medical field. Until I heard the employee pep talk one morning. It wasn’t about eye care, it was about “sell, sell, sell”.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Plum Hill you may want to look at Smith Optics as well as Rudy Project. Also check out Sport RX. I've never dealt with them but have heard good/great things about their customer service.

I'm pretty sure that Lens Crafters is another part of the Luxotica universe so I'm not really surprised that you would've heard that. Good luck.

ps. One option that I just thought of but don't have direct experience with is that I've heard that Tifosi also has an RX program. They may be someone to look at as well.

Last edited by parris; 04-21-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Tifosi does and they run a couple hundred or so depending on complexity of lens and coating (basic is a couple hundred or so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Plum Hill you may want to look at Smith Optics as well as Rudy Project. Also check out Sport RX. I've never dealt with them but have heard good/great things about their customer service.

I'm pretty sure that Lens Crafters is another part of the Luxotica universe so I'm not really surprised that you would've heard that. Good luck.

ps. One option that I just thought of but don't have direct experience with is that I've heard that Tifosi also has an RX program. They may be someone to look at as well.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM

All my Oakley’s are gathering dust as I’ve gotten older. I need readers now for anything close. I started wearing Dual sunglasses a couple of years ago because of the built-in readers that allow me to read my computer, my phone or to dig a wire or piece of glass out of a tire.

I just bought a pair of Tifosi sunglasses with readers from Amazon and tested them on two long rides this weekend. They feel a bit sturdier than the Duals and have Transition lens. I think these are my new favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram