Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am sure its a nice bike and I will be that guy, but that looks like a poorly finished made at home carbon bike. I just don't see what makes it $3200 used.... For that price I have seen crumptons and argonauts and other applemans which imo of course look a million times better and I bet ride as nice
Don't be That Guy!

Well, there's no accounting for taste, obviously, but on the Ti/Rent Control/Soccer Mom thread, Baum was called out several times as the epitome of Ti craftsmanship. You'll see a half-dozen Baums for sale before you see an Appleman. I've never seen one for sale.

Again, no accounting for taste, but if it fit, I wouldn't be posting this PSA
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM

I'm an amateur carbon framebuilder and his work looks very nice to my eyes. Definitely puts my work to shame. You can cover up a lot with some filler and good paint, but it takes a brave builder to put his layup out there for all to see.

I certainly wouldn't tell anyone where to put his or her money, but I'm sure whoever ends up riding that will be happy with it.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
That is why I bought an Open instead. A $6000 bike would need to provide me with something that I could not get in a stock bike.
Never say never- But Open won out for me over a custom gravel bike.
I think you would be paying for the custom aspect of it which may or may not be worth $2500 to you. That and the fact that is made in the USA but a guy which I think its pretty cool. And this is coming from someone that also has an open and is very happy with it.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Qft

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm an amateur carbon framebuilder and his work looks very nice to my eyes. Definitely puts my work to shame. You can cover up a lot with some filler and good paint, but it takes a brave builder to put his layup out there for all to see.

I certainly wouldn't tell anyone where to put his or her money, but I'm sure whoever ends up riding that will be happy with it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Yeah, I cant tell what is going on with the drive side chain stay in front of the hanger.
As others have noted, that's an exit port for an internally-routed, rear derailleur cable. It's got the cable headed in just the right direction:https://www.flickr.com/photos/applem...s/37785960424/

Quote:
Someone who is more familiar with what raw, unfinished carbon looks like will have to clue me in: do they all look like this pre-finish and paint? Or is he doing something else here?
As for the look, no, raw, unfinished carbon doesn't look like this. When the frame comes out of the autoclave after the tubes have been cut, mitered, glued, and then the tubing junctions wrapped with strips of prepeg, it's a hot, fibrous, gnarly-looking mess. Think of a steel frame immediately after brazing with the tubing discolored and flux all over the place.

Quote:
I have a hard time thinking of paying finished carbon price for unfinished carbon, but I'm also a luddite so what do I know?!
A ton of finish work (sanding!) has been put into this frame. A quick coat of paint or glossy clear would just be window-dressing, if you ask me. But as they say in Japan, "ten people, ten colors."
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM

I have seen his bikes in person. They are very nice. They are made similar to Calfee. He winds carbon at the tube joints. He does it in a way that makes patterns

Here is a picture how the enter and exit his frames.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:30 PM

He was in Bikerumor

https://bikerumor.com/2014/01/22/roa...rbon-bicycles/
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 PM

54.5cm Breadwinner Holeshot CX

Breadwinner Holeshot Cyclocross Bike - $2200 (san jose downtown)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...799893043.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breadwinner_holeshot.jpg (34.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg breadwinner_geo.jpg (32.9 KB, 276 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 PM

The Bikerumor comment thread has some pretty snarky remarks on the "handmade" quality of his work.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
The Bikerumor comment thread has some pretty snarky remarks on the "handmade" quality of his work.
As does every other comment section there.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:27 PM

Only pointing it out b/c they resonate with some of the misgivings voiced in this thread.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Killer deals on Serotta Design DUETTI S1 Demo Bike.
https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/duetti-builder

Yowsa. Anybody ridden one of these? They're sold out of my size, just curious...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 AM

I’d ride that in a second!

Isn’t the point of something being ‘handmade’ that you can tell that it was made with someone’s hands? My Speedvagen has some ‘oops’ in the paint layout that at first bugged me, then I realize that this is what I think is cool about it. I recall considering a Paceliners Sachs frame years ago and the subject of being able to see his file work through the paint was odd, but awesome - it was made with two hands!!

Anyways, my bestie’s former boss owned an Appleman that I never got to see in person, but it was pretty amazing to see in a couple of photos. I think he makes very nice bikes...

Last edited by d_douglas; 01-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:43 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I have seen his bikes in person. They are very nice. They are made similar to Calfee. He winds carbon at the tube joints. He does it in a way that makes patterns

Here is a picture how the enter and exit his frames.

That is the look I got when I oversanded my campy record levers trying to removed the clearcoat.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Administrator

aesthetics of these bikes aside, i just browsed his website and the bike rumor article.

he is definitely well versed in building with composites and stress analysis, etc - and interestingly he does do repairs to carbon bikes and offers a 10-yr warranty on repair work.

he is a guy i think i would trust to do a repair on a carbon frame if i ever needed it, so it's good to know the dude is out there.