Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 AM
ZhugeLiang

Converting 1x11 back to 2x11

I acquired a bike that came with SRAM Rival HRD 1x11. I have tried it for a couple of rides, still think I prefer the double setup. I am trying to figure out the way to convert back to a double without incurring too much expense as well as being able to re-use most if not all of the current components. There are a couple of challenges I need to overcome. I want to retain the current shifters but I need to be able to add shifting capability for the front derailleur. For that, I am thinking of just adding a downtube shifter. I will then change out the 1x crankset and replace it with a GXP double crankset that I have available. Do I need to do anything for the clutch rear derailleur I currently have or will it work seamlessly whether it's 1x or 2x?

The full specs :
http://www.chargebikes.com/plug-5/

Last edited by weisan; 09-11-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 AM

With how popular 1x has become, why not just try and trade groups ?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM

for sure you should make your 17th bike more like your others, why have variety?

maybe try a different sized ring or cassette first? also, there's a good chance it was optimized for 1x and thus will not clear a double crankset at the chainstays
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Time machine
Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
for sure you should make your 17th bike more like your others, why have variety?

maybe try a different sized ring or cassette first? also, there's a good chance it was optimized for 1x and thus will not clear a double crankset at the chainstays
Highly doubt that... I bet a 2x crank will clear just fine. Very few bikes are optimized for 1x only.

Also your problem might be the clutch rd, dont thibk they play bery well with derailleurs.

I say sell the geoup and buy a 2x group
Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Rival 22 HRD left shifters are pretty widely available for not that much, and if you don't mind mixing and matching I believe Rival HRD and SRAM S-700 shifters share the same internals, and the S700 series is usually cheaper. You can get a left 2x shifter, sell the 1x shifter, add just about any SRAM RD and a Yaw FD and good chainrings for less than a total outlay of $150, maybe even less if you're willing to also sell your chainring and RD.

The clutch RD will NOT work in 2x setup. You will need a regular medium or long cage SRAM RD.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=weisan;2424547]I acquired a bike that came with SRAM Rival HRD 1x11. I have tried it for a couple of rides, still think I prefer the double setup. I am trying to figure out the way to convert back to a double without incurring too much expense as well as being able to re-use most if not all of the current components. There are a couple of challenges I need to overcome. I want to retain the current shifters but I need to be able to add shifting capability for the front derailleur. For that, I am thinking of just adding a downtube shifter. I will then change out the 1x crankset and replace it with a GXP double crankset that I have available. Do I need to do anything for the clutch rear derailleur I currently have or will it work seamlessly whether it's 1x or 2x?

? clamp-on..no brazeon on downtube.
New rear der, new LH shifter..right above. crank, maybe cogset..lot$..even at co-op prices.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post

agreed. you have a million bikes, so enjoy some variety. give it some time. maybe it's just how/where you're riding it? so go explore more!

as far as actually converting back to 2X. one option is just selling the group and getting another; it's CX season so surely someone would love the group or parts of it. otherwise, you'll need new FD and RD (1X clutch you have on there doesn't work with 2X setups) as well as the guts for the left shifter. all of these things, I could actually sell you (including the shifter guts). so get in touch if you're interested. you will have to pull the left shifter though, and possibly bleed the line, etc...

Last edited by chiasticon; 09-11-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Holy moly you guys are fast... i start typing and get bumped to the bottom. I just learned clutch doesn't play well with 2x. I turned mine off on my conversion (shimano).

Last edited by hokoman; 09-11-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
agreed. you have a million bikes, so enjoy some variety. give it some time. maybe it's just how/where you're riding it? so go explore more!

as far as actually converting back to 2X. one option is just selling the group and getting another; it's CX season so surely someone would love the group or parts of it. otherwise, you'll need new FD and RD (1X clutch you have on there doesn't work with 2X setups) as well as the guts for the left shifter. most of these things, I could actually sell you. so get in touch if you're interested. you will have to pull the left shifter though, and possibly bleed the line, etc...

but why are we telling him what he wants? if he wants to go back to 2x what is the problem? There are a lot of people that do not like or want 1x, I don't think exploring more has anything to do with what system he prefers.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:39 AM

1x is definitely more of a cross or a gravel thing. You can go to 2x...but it isn't going to be cheap. Just get a new kit and sell the old one. The only parts you can re-use are the calipers and the rear shifter. You'll have to do something about your rear wheel too

Have fun
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

R3 pal, that's ok, I think my pals here made some really good points. Let me consider them before I make any changes.

Thank you all.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
1x is definitely more of a cross or a gravel thing. You can go to 2x...but it isn't going to be cheap. Just get a new kit and sell the old one. The only parts you can re-use are the calipers and the rear shifter. You'll have to do something about your rear wheel too

Have fun
What does he have to do with the rear wheel?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Highly doubt that... I bet a 2x crank will clear just fine. Very few bikes are optimized for 1x only.

Also your problem might be the clutch rd, dont thibk they play bery well with derailleurs.

I say sell the geoup and buy a 2x group
you might be right, you might not be right. the original Plug from this company was a single speed bike. this is the "original single speed evolved" for all roads according to their marketing. perhaps an optimized single speed is a double, but i have a strange feeling this is a 1x only frame. i mean it clears 42s, you gotta get the clearance somewhere.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
What does he have to do with the rear wheel?
if its xd freehub with 10-42 one may want to go to a standard freehub body for double applications