Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Converting Bike w/ hydraulic disks from flat to bullhorn??

Alright all you gear heads ( ironic because the bike in question is a single speed)!!

I want to convert a Trek Zektor ( photos below) from flat bar to bullhorn. Felt it out in the more aggressive stance and it is great. I know I know why dont i just put extenders on?? because i cannot stand that look on a nice new steed. i know some of you will still tell me to just do that hahha but i want to get a little crafty on this one.

So anyways the conversion. I was at my LBS ( biggest Trek dealer in the country) and found this Trek Zektor. has all the things i want. space for 38mm tires, aluminum, carbon fork, hydraulic brake (Tektro M285) annnnnnd gates belt system. only thing is the ridding position. just cant stand the flat bar.

So i asked about converting. They gave me this whole talk about the brake system and the length of cables not allowing for it to be put on "goofy". i then suggested putting it on the flats of the bullhorn. he wouldn't comment on that idea. said they couldn't suggest it but i could do it myself. they said they could do official convert but would be 200 cheapest because they need to replace the whole brake system just because of cable length. is that true??? . If so, i will try to do myself. wanted some opinions on this.

bascailly shorten stem to 25mm, buy bullhorn with simialr diameter ( 31.8mm on teh rise i think..hard to find these deets, slip the brakes off the old handle ( loosen via allen) and then see where they work on the bullhorn given cable length, and then wrap the son of a gun. What do you all think?? any and all suggestions would be great. havent pulled the trigger on the bike yet of course.

Ride on! ( photos of prospective bike attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2895.jpg (46.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2897.jpg (35.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.jpg (45.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2898.jpg (36.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAYMAN View Post
Alright all you gear heads ( ironic because the bike in question is a single speed)!!

I want to convert a Trek Zektor ( photos below) from flat bar to bullhorn. Felt it out in the more aggressive stance and it is great. I know I know why dont i just put extenders on?? because i cannot stand that look on a nice new steed. i know some of you will still tell me to just do that hahha but i want to get a little crafty on this one.

So anyways the conversion. I was at my LBS ( biggest Trek dealer in the country) and found this Trek Zektor. has all the things i want. space for 38mm tires, aluminum, carbon fork, hydraulic brake (Tektro M285) annnnnnd gates belt system. only thing is the ridding position. just cant stand the flat bar.

So i asked about converting. They gave me this whole talk about the brake system and the length of cables not allowing for it to be put on "goofy". i then suggested putting it on the flats of the bullhorn. he wouldn't comment on that idea. said they couldn't suggest it but i could do it myself. they said they could do official convert but would be 200 cheapest because they need to replace the whole brake system just because of cable length. is that true??? . If so, i will try to do myself. wanted some opinions on this.

bascailly shorten stem to 25mm, buy bullhorn with simialr diameter ( 31.8mm on teh rise i think..hard to find these deets, slip the brakes off the old handle ( loosen via allen) and then see where they work on the bullhorn given cable length, and then wrap the son of a gun. What do you all think?? any and all suggestions would be great. havent pulled the trigger on the bike yet of course.

Ride on! ( photos of prospective bike attached)
Listen to you LBS. $200 to do the conversion actually sounds like a deal since there's a LOT of labor involved. And if you don't replace and extend the lines, having the brakes on the tops, far away from the drops is a BAD IDEA. Either that or look for another bike that fits your specs that already comes with drop bars.

Also a 25mm stem just isn't physically or mathematically possible, as the steerer tube is 28.5mm side and the bar is 31.8.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM

yeah totally on teh stem. don't know what i was thinking. doesn't even make sense.

As for the LBS, its $200 but it that would be to get into mechanical. hydraulic would cost me closer to $350 so was attempting to see if there is any optionality here.

Appreciate the wisdom.