Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 11:19 AM

I need something like that... rack brand please
Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 AM

These are all the bikes I regularly ride during the year. I have other projects and loaner/backup bikes I don't use as much.

Commuter - all around bike.
Currently a 1994 GT Karakorum drop bar conversion with racks and dynamo lights.

Winter commuter - non studded tires.
This has the Continental Top Contact Winter tires, they are amazing for 90% of winter here. Our bike lanes get plowed 24hours after snowfall and are usually bare after a few days. These tires handle light ice just fine as long as you ride accordingly.

Winter commuter - studded tires.
There are those rare days in the freeze thaw cycle when you just need studded tires. I also ride this bike when there's loose snowpack on the ground as the knobbies help. I use Schwalbe Ice Spiker's.

Steel road bike
This used to be my other long distance commuter but I've since dedicated it to be my road bike when my carbon bike developed suspicious cracks in paint.

Carbon road bike
Sadly a trainer bike for now. It has 23mm tires still, im happy with this on my trainer.

Bikepacking/29er rigid
This is a Surly Ogre. I toyed with putting drop bars on for monstercross style, but the reach was just too long to be comfy. I have swept back bars now and front and rear racks.

XC hard tail MTB
I have a 29er Trek i use for singletrack riding.

So with the exception of the trainer bike, I have 6 bikes i ride mainly.
I have a gravel bike project I'm working on and am not sure how this will fit in the mix.

I think it depends on the terrain where you live. I'm spoiled with some wicked singletrack minutes ride from my house. I could do 75km of trails in my city, without having to drive to a trailhead.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:56 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
because my 35c slick tires feel every bit as fast as my 28c tires. No data or science to back this up though.
Even after 30 miles of rotating those 35s 'fast'? If yes, I wish I had your legs/stamina...
Old 04-24-2020, 12:02 PM

My preferred stable includes:
- a go-fast road bike - the Firefly fits the bill
- a fendered all road bike with hydro discs and ability to mount racks - the Anderson - rainy days, D2R2, touring
- a light FS MTB - Pivot 429C
- cargo bike - Big Dummy, fenders and gen hub - shopping and going to the beach - gets studded tires in the winter

My extended stable also includes:
- Bob Jackson all road bike built for me in 1972 - hard to give that up, my only bike for decades
- 1988 Nagasawa fixed/SS road trainer - love it each time I ride it
- 1989 Casati with Campy 10 - just because I always wanted an Italian steel rig
- 1995 Bilenky Aermet 100 tandem
- 1999 Litespeed Unicoi with YBB, now dropbar 26er - main commuting rig, great for mixed trail and pavement errands
- 1996 Klein Pulse II MTB - needs a new home
- late 1960s Raleigh 20 folder, 10 pound weight loss conversion many years ago - leave at one end of a through hike or through paddle bike, or locked up at the ferry or shuttle bus

I could give up the bikes in the extended stable if needs be, but I have the space in the basement and except for the Klein they all are ridden. The Firefly, Bob Jackson, Anderson, Bilenky, Nagasawa, Casati - they are superb examples of beautiful craft, and they please me every time I look at them. Now no longer working full time I am riding more, so they're getting more use than in the past. More time plus more money than in my youth seems to translate to more bikes - way more bikes than I need, for sure!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM

with all this talk of people wanting to liquidate some bikes, we should really ahve the size we ride in our signatures. that way i can poach what i want from a willing victim

Last edited by seanile; 04-24-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
with all this talk of people wanting to liquidate some bikes, we should really ahve the size we ride in our signatures. that way i can poach what i want from a willing victim
love this