Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Administrator

OT: Phone or iWatch or...?

Well, it's about time to get a new cell and I was starting to consider whether I want to stay with a Samsung or switch to an iPhone? Throw into the mix that my sister has an iWatch that recently notified her that she was going into AFib which was confirmed. That got me to thinking about the watches. A cursor look indicates they can do a lot of things the standard phones can do so maybe that is a viable alternative?

Would anyone like to share their experiences with using an iWatch, Samsung watch, or other equivalent?

Thanks,
William
Old 09-14-2019, 12:26 PM

I work in the tech field, indoors and out and have to share a lot of information all day long which does not require a phone call, just a text message. I have an old Apple watch, probably first generation and really the only thing I use it for is to read a text message on the watch and not have to take my phone out. My 2¢ worth.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 PM

I had an iphone and and iwatch, and now switched to samsung and a samsung watch. Functionality between the two is essentially the same. I can read and respond to texts, get notifications, do workouts, etc. The big benefit for me is that it allows me to keep my phone in my pocket more. I also love that google map directions show up on the watch and buzz my wrist when I need to turn.

Overall worth having as a package, and if the afib function is what you're after, then iwatch it is!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Every since getting an apple watch a couple of years ago, my Rolex sits in a drawer. The iwatch is very useful. And I have an iPhone Xs.

Both also integrate easily with my Wahoo Elemnt.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Every since getting an apple watch a couple of years ago, my Rolex sits in a drawer. The iwatch is very useful. And I have an iPhone Xs.

This ^. (but no Rolex - just a Breitling and Omega that are sitting).

I have the 3 which allows me to listen to music via bluetooth when I run, synchs nicely with map my run/ride to announce distance and pace etc., vibrates when google maps wants me to turn when driving, messages and text via the watch etc. They are probably discounting their old line now that the 5 (comes in Ti too) is out. The heart monitor is a nice feature which my 3 does not have - I only get notifications when my heartbeat goes below 40 while I am asleep (probably need to have that checked out as I go below 40 fairly frequently).
Old 09-14-2019, 04:22 PM

ha! I went the opposite as some of yall. I bought an apple watch (they've never called it an iwatch), realized I really only liked it for running, snowboarding, and surfing tracking, and went back to an analog watch (whose brand doesnt matter!) the other 95% of my waking life.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 PM

watch

You might know this already but, if you get an Apple Watch you will need an iPhone.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Apple Watch

I have to charge mine every night. Requires its own unique charger so that has to come along when I travel.
Tells me when I get texts but too clumsy for me to respond with.
Tells me when I have an incoming call, can decline or accept like a Dick Tracy watch but sound garbled.
Tells time.
Has a ton of features that I find rather useless because of the screen size.
I received it as a gift. If I lost it I wouldn’t replace it.

I have an IPhone which I would replace immediately, I’ve gotten very dependent on it.

But Apple Watch.... shrug of shoulders

But do admit, the Afib function is very cool, had no idea it was capable.

I’m getting rather tired of chasing new tech. I’ve been wondering lately what’s the point.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 PM

I like the SIM card feature.

When I am on call, I wear my Apple Watch. It’s waterproof, so I can wear it surfing, swimming and kayaking. The iPhone is waterproof, but it’s easier to just leave it in the car.

I like the EKG functionality on the series 4. I occasionally get a junctional rhythm. It is a satisfying in a nerdy way to see the waveform. The watch plus an app gives you a lead I EKG tracing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1DBC6715-34EE-423F-9A5B-73E32991317A.jpeg (60.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post

HA..the only reason I don't have an iWatch..

My son has an iwatch and just signed up for a iphone11..he's really thrilled with it. Sister in law has(had?) a samsung phone and watch which 'seemed' really glitchy..but she's not really a techie..
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM

OT: Phone or iWatch or...?

Upgrading my iPhone 6 to one of the new ones. It's a first generation when T-mobile decided to join the Apple band wagon.
Not sure if I'll go with the 11 or 11 pro. Or the 10 since they've dropped the price on it.
I've played with the watch but am not sold on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM

iPhone early adopter, haven’t had anything else since they came out. Recently added an Apple Watch series 4. Already done two great things for me.

Has been monitoring and tracking my sporadic bouts of afib which I used to just make note of on my phone.

Also notified my wife when I took a spill playing hockey and hurt my knee.

Day to day used to track workouts, remind me to stand up once a hour and generally show me texts etc while our riding or doing other stuff.

Kind of disappointed I didn’t wait another few months for the 5, but 4 is pretty solid anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM

I use an Apple Watch 4 with an iPhone X. I always hated wearing a watch while riding, and use a Garmin Edge 1030 to see time, weather, etc. I started wearing the watch while on my MTB so I don’t need to carry my phone. In a pinch, I can use my watch to make calls, open my garage door, check weather, etc. It’s also nice to get haptic alerts on my wrist. I also like being able to see incoming messages and email on my watch while in business meetings without having to look at my phone.

With AirPods, the watch works great to play music, either from the watch without the phone, or with the phone, in which case I can leave my phone in my pocket and use the watch as a remote. I can also use Siri on my watch to do all sorts of things, like select music, make calls, dictate and reply to messages if the surroundings permit, etc.

There are some other really cool capabilities with 3rd-party apps. My watch gets alerts from my ValentineOne radar detector using an App on my iPhone called V1Driver. I can mute the audio and get haptic and visual notifications on my wrist. I use “one-touch record” to record things occasionally, and have a similar app to record telephone calls.

There are some apps I’d like to see on the watch. For one, I’d like Garmin to create an app so when navigating using my Edge, I could get haptic alerts to upcoming turns. I’d also like to see a SiriusXM app for the watch to be used without the phone.

I really like the Apple Watch.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:46 AM

I'd like to upgrade to an Xs from my SE, but Apple currently isn't selling them, only the Xr and suggests a reseller. Weird, since they still sell the 8. Maybe they're just sold out for the time being.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I'd like to upgrade to an Xs from my SE, but Apple currently isn't selling them, only the Xr and suggests a reseller. Weird, since they still sell the 8. Maybe they're just sold out for the time being.
The iPhone 11 and 11 pro were just announced and is being released on 9/20. If you don’t care about a brand new phone, you can probably find a used Xs fairly inexpensively next week. I typically upgrade every other generation of phones and sell my old one. I’m keeping my X until Apple releases a 5g phone, presumably this upcoming spring.

Last edited by djg21; 09-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.