Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Fixie fascination...

I have really been enjoying my new SS bike.

It came with a flip-flop hub so today I decided to flip the flop and go fixie.

Ok that was close My first lift off came about a mile from my house when my legs decided to stop go in circles. I almost shot off the bike.

My next pavement eating experience came when I took my first corner at speed. Thank god for high bottom brackets.

My last near get-off was when squirrel ran out in front of me

So what is the fascination on the street? And how do the messenger types stop without brakes?

The only real positive is that it felt easier to pedal as each pedal is served on a platter for the next push.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:00 PM

THey just counter pedal, once you have been doing it for a while the legs are strong enough and is not problem to stop quick.

If you need to stop right away just bunny hop the rear wheel and counter pedal, the bike will skid and will stop even faster.

THe technique using fix gear definitely is different to anything else but you will get used quick. I would advice you to go to your parking lot and do a lot of standing in one place, that will get you used to the stopping and going, same with practicing moving the handlebar because feet and handlebar position you have to have that synchronized as much as possible.

Fix gear will help you a lot with the pedaling technique, makes you better.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:38 PM

It takes a while to get used to and you really need to have the right gear ratio or it sucks. I’ve ridden a lot of miles on a fixed gear but it’s not for everyone. How to stop without brakes? Basically you skid and eventually ruin your tire. I knew and used to ride with a lot of brakeless riders that were very skilled but they went through a lot of tires. One guy I knew would slide the back end of the bike back and forth completely locked up for 100ft at a time to stop down steep hills. I know it’s dumb but he made it work so it’s possible if you’re good enough, but 99% of riders aren’t skilled enough for brakeless.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanks guys. I am surprised how much it took me out of my comfort zone. I am not sure I will stick with it. The corners are the biggest negative for me.

We are also pretty hilly around here and winding up my legs like an egg beater seems silly.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:10 PM
mentholated

track bikes are so cool.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:07 PM

During my youth I had a number of years when my only road bike was not really a road bike but was instead a track bike....fixed gear and no brakes. I commuted 20 miles each way quite often and in time you get the feel for it and stop getting tossed over the bars when you forget that you can't ever just stop pedaling....ever.

I was in my 20's and being young I was also stupid and full of testosterone and I took odd pride in this being my only road bike. I get tempted at times now to build another fixed gear bike and one thing's for sure - it would have brakes!

dave
Old 09-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Yeah all you really need is a front brake, it also makes it easier to ride a properly big gear ratio like 48x15 or 16 so you don’t spin out down every small hill.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
During my youth I had a number of years when my only road bike was not really a road bike but was instead a track bike....fixed gear and no brakes. I commuted 20 miles each way quite often and in time you get the feel for it and stop getting tossed over the bars when you forget that you can't ever just stop pedaling....ever.

I was in my 20's and being young I was also stupid and full of testosterone and I took odd pride in this being my only road bike. I get tempted at times now to build another fixed gear bike and one thing's for sure - it would have brakes!

dave
Funny. I certainly had a jolt the first time it tried to buck me off! But on the street I think I like the added complexity of a freewheel
Old 09-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Yeah all you really need is a front brake, it also makes it easier to ride a properly big gear ratio like 48x15 or 16 so you don’t spin out down every small hill.
Mine came with 42x16 but I think I will try a 44/16 soon.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Too Few Miles

Welcome the to the world of fixed gears!

I'm one of those strange humans who actually likes the feel of a fixed gear more than a freewheel. I've never quite put it into words, but there is an element of control and "one-ness" with the bike that nothing else quite gets close to. Learning how to spin without spinning out or bouncing is a life lesson that really makes you smooth (or you find yourself in a ditch!). Keep those gears low and knees happy!

Front brake is mandatory for the road if you want to live to an old age.

Four fixed gears in my stable, two from my coaches when I was a kid at the St. Louis Cycling Club. All get used...

1924 DOT Bike (Chester Nelsen Sr.'s Olympic Training Bike)
1946 DOT Bike (Chester Nelsen Jr's Olympic Training Bike)
1984 Gitane Kilo (Their el-chepo club model)
2009 Bianchi Pista Chrome (With a gazillion miles on it - daily trainer)

Enjoy!

Joel
Old 09-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Mine came with 42x16 but I think I will try a 44/16 soon.
The UK folks have a lot of fixie history for training and racing on the road.
The old standard is 65 inches for men, 60 inches for women. This was early season training to get some legs under you. Nothing bigger in inches till you got your first 1k miles in. They want the revs up and the torque on the knees down. Riding that 65" gear will really help you with your form and condition.
(their island is a bit flatter than where I live but it is always a great place to start. Anyone riding a fixie on public roads without a front brake is an idiot)
Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Opinion warning: The smaller gear ratio might be good for purely training because it forces a spin, but if you're trying to go fast and have a good time you really need a big gear ratio. 65 gear inches is not fun at all, even 75 makes it difficult to ride with people on road bikes sometimes, 80-85 is far better IME if you intend to ride at road bike speeds (cruising at around 20 and hitting 30 down hills). This of course mostly limits you to rides without real climbs but at 80-85 gear inches you can really haul up shorter and less steep hills. The weird thing is the fixie has never bothered my knees any more than a bike with gears.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Were you using clipless pedals?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
track bikes are so cool.
On the velodrome, yes. They are amazing machines, purpose built to perfection.

On the street and without brakes, no.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 PM

I had a Schwinn Madison for a few years when I was "trying" to race in the late '80's - early '90's. I used it for late winter, early Spring base training on the plains of Colorado. It was a great tool, until the BB cracked. Crappy Schwinn. I had Ian Laing repair, and repaint it. But I digress...it was good for spinning and pedaling technique. Aside from that, terrible on the street. I left the stock F&R brakes mine. The flip-flop was fixed on one side, BMX freewheel on the other.

Have fun with it!