Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Vlaanderen tubular v CORSA G+ TUBULAR GRAPHENE

Quick question to anyone who has experience with the tubular tires listed in the title.

I've tried the Vlaanderen and like it fine but it's a bit more expensive than the Corsa G+ graphene (28 mm) and I'm of the opinion (perhaps wrongly) that the Vittoria will outlast the Veloflex in this specific comparison. I can wax enthusiastic about why I think this but the question I have really isn't about this (If you have experience to the contrary this would be of interest).

What I'm interested in knowing is how different is the Vlannderen and Corsa in width? They are advertised as being 1 mm different but as many of us have come to find out the advertised width isn't always accurate. I'm assuming the rim won't have a big influence because these are tubular but if you've had a different experience I'd also be interested in hearing this.

I'm also interested to know if the depth of each tire is markedly different? I assume the 28 mm will be slightly deeper but how much is the question? I'm asking because with the Vlaanderen I have maybe 1-2 mm of clearance between the tire and seat tube of the bike I'd like to ride these tires on. I'm concerned that the Corsas will be too large. I could just go with the 25 mm version of the Corsa but what fun would this be?

Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 PM

From the archives Was thinking about this question of comparing my beloved Veloflex Vlaanderen 27mm with the Vittoria Corsa G in 28mm, and look what searching can do for you -- a post with no responses. So let's see if in the past year+ someone has had experience and will chime in. Inquiring minds and all....
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Can't speak to the Veloflex tubular, but the Vittoria tubular does run true to size, if maybe a touch on the large side. But nothing noticeable.

Great tires, I'd go with the Vittorias myself.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 PM

did a head to head comparo with the bontrager classics tossed in for good measure (junk). 1000ish miles on each.

the vittoria lasts twice as long. grips better. rolls quicker. glues up straighter much easier.

veloflex rides a bit nicer. looks cooler. that’s all.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 AM

I've ridden tubular tires forever (Hated clincher flats) and have tried a plethora of brands, and models. Hands down the best tire IMHO is the Veloflex Vlaanderen. If you need Volume, Speed and Durability (Puncture Protection), then look no further. I tried the Corsa G tires in 28 and those tire felt too harsh. Veloflex has a more natural "Tubular Feel" versus the Corsa G. I'm literally on the same set of Vlaanderen tires I've been riding for the last year. Not a single puncture and the tread is finally wearing. The life hack to getting them cheap, is simply wait for a sale from PBK..

There are faster rolling tires out there, softer tires out there, but not too many have the 3 qualities which make tubular tires good. I think The Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix tires are amaxing too, but they puncture when they're in the deep wear stages. The Vlaanderen on the other hand, lasts a little longer when worn.

I've been contemplating giving the Corsa G tires another try, but possibly in the 25mm width. The 28's just didn't feel comfy at all. They also slashed up pretty fast for my liking. I was noticing them gash up after every ride from small rocks and road imperfections.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Everything is connected

I've been riding the Vlaanderen on one bike for about 5,500-6,000 miles and they are the best riding tubular that I've ever ridden in terms of comfort and puncture resistance. This particular bike doesn't see rain, so I can't attest to wet weather performance...plenty of crappy roads though. Not the longest wearing...about 2,000 miles on a rear and 3,500-4,000 miles on a front. Mounted to Nemesis rims, rider weight 175# and 85r/80f psi. I've seen them as low as $50 to as high as $75. They measure a true 27mm on my rims. I heard that they might be discontinued with a wider (28mm) coming to market. They come in black too and are marketed as the Raven.

I can't help you with the Corsa G's as I've been too happy with the Vlaanderen to switch. I do have Vittoria Pave's (27mm) mounted to my rain bike. No comparison in ride comfort and slice resistance to the Vlaanderen, nor to the Veloflex Roubaix, which I rode exclusively until I discovered the Vlaanderen. The Pave is equal in puncture resistance imho and the Pave does handle well in wet conditions. They can be purchased right now for $40, which is a helluva deal if you don't mind the green stripes.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:30 PM

The Vlaanderen is the first tubular that I've glued and just ride without any worry...
I do long rides with sealant/pump kit in my jersey. I'll bring a spare tubular for when I'm really out there (Just in case).

Last edited by denapista; 09-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:47 PM

Helpful input. I'm ready to order the next batch to age (yes, I do think that makes a difference) as I'm ready to glue up my last Vlaanderen to replace a worn rear. As I'm checking I see a big enough difference in price Vittoria/Veloflex to raise the question of others. Right now I think I'll watch for a PBK sale. (And wouldn't you know I just missed an 8-hour 15% off Labor Day promo there....)

I like Paves, but no question the Vlaanderens are a much nicer ride -- as they should be for the price difference. And asesthetically I like green stripes on Nemesis, but not riding that rim with my new disc brake bike. Inclement weather I have my Gravel Kings so my tubulars can be nice weather tires.

Using Gear Aid Seam Grip on the sidewalls when new seems to help with discoloring and protection. Reminds me time to wash off the sidewalls and reapply.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 PM

I’ve recently mounted a set of Vlaanderen on Campy Barcelona wheels bought last year from Clean39T here and even after only 800km or so I have to say they have to be the best tubies I’ve tried so far. Measure just shy of 28mm according to my calipers. I’m about 200# and run 95# in rear, 90# in front. Plush and fast enough for me. Can’t really comment on wear yet but I can say that I had a set of Arneberg’s on my Nemesis wheels and got 6700 km out of the rear before I retired it. Those tires were amazing. Front is still going.... although that wheel set hasn’t been in rotation recently. I’ve typically loaded up on Veloflex tubies on PBK when they’ve been on sale and presently have a bit of a stockpile including a set of Roubaix’s that I haven’t mounted yet. The Vlaanderen were an absolute beast to mount...... but that may have been my fault for not stretching long enough. Love Veloflex.

Last edited by climbgdh; 09-03-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Vlaanderen tubular v CORSA G+ TUBULAR GRAPHENE

Been taking a bunch of rides on the Vlaanderens (on Boyd carbon 40 rims) lately. Gosh they are nice.

Some time ago, after using Vlaanderen for a bit I went to a set of Corsa G+ 28tubs just to sample variety. I ended up going back to the Vlaanderens. They are basically the same size (27.5 vs 28.0 by my calipers) and weight but the Vlaanderens feel subjectively better. Smoother, better cornering...
similar quickness I guess.
Both have been durable, high quality and nice riding, so you can’t go wrong. I just like the VV better.

Also I’ve transitioned from glue to Effetto Mariposa tape and so tubs are a cinch to mount and align. So far so good.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 09-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 PM

btw does anyone make a low profile carbon tubular rim anymore? Boyd discontinued their road tub rims. Looking for something <30 deep with excellent braking, not Enve$

Instagram
Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
btw does anyone make a low profile carbon tubular rim anymore? Boyd discontinued their road tub rims. Looking for something <30 deep with excellent braking, not Enve$
You should look at FSE wheels.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:12 AM

No experience with the Vlaanderen but rode the 28mm Vittoria. They're very nice but I still favour the 27mm Dugast Paris-Roubaix.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:39 AM

Graphene 2.0

FWIW, Vittoria announced earlier this year new Corsa G+'s incorporating what they call Graphene 2.0 and claim performance benefits across the board. I'm still on original Corsa G+'s so can't speak to the claimed enhancements. I love running Veloflex tubulars up front but get less cut/puncture resistance and mileage out back than with modern Vitts.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/27/vit...ene-2-0-tires/
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlc View Post
you should look at fse wheels.

this.