Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Total Fred

I always have to wear a cycling cap with my MIPS commuter helmet because the plastic edges dig into my skin. That said...does a cycling cap effectively provide a slip layer? Maybe I'm double MIP'ing?

Tai
Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 PM

i've been thinking about these things lately. lots of factors go into head injury stats, and far too many variables, but when i was a couple years younger and about the same outfit on the same bike at the same speed and in a collision, i got a separated shoulder, a dent in my helmet, and nothing else major in my Giro Air Attack Shield. a year ago, in my bright orange Smith MIPS helmet, my shoulder was fine, the outfit was the same and fine, the bike was the same and fine, and i sustained a concussion that took me out of work for 2.5 weeks and had residual effects for months after. only concussion i've ever had. in a MIPS helmet. YMMV, and i hope it does.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
I think it stands for Massive Insertion Point on your Skull, because look at my forehead after my ride today. No wonder I had a headache!

For the record, I'm using a Bell Gage MIPS. I guess it's time for something new.
Beats this: https://assets.ossur.com/library/19645/proc/6
Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverdada View Post
i've been thinking about these things lately. lots of factors go into head injury stats, and far too many variables, but when i was a couple years younger and about the same outfit on the same bike at the same speed and in a collision, i got a separated shoulder, a dent in my helmet, and nothing else major in my Giro Air Attack Shield. a year ago, in my bright orange Smith MIPS helmet, my shoulder was fine, the outfit was the same and fine, the bike was the same and fine, and i sustained a concussion that took me out of work for 2.5 weeks and had residual effects for months after. only concussion i've ever had. in a MIPS helmet. YMMV, and i hope it does.
Goes to show that that styrofoam Yarmulke is not a panacea to head injury..won't hurt, may help..
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 AM

Might Injure or Protect Someone