Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 PM

Anyone running tubulars for all-road/mixed terrain?

With a lot of the companies rolling out their CX tubulars and more wider, gravelish type ones this seems to be more realistic. Plus you still have the low pressure riding ability and the prices on the tubular wheels are in many cases lower than their tubeless counterparts. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Waiting to see what the new Challenge gravel tubulars look like.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 PM

I’d have to ask why? IMO, Tubeless makes much more sense for gravel riding. I’ve had tubeless on my MTB for 12 years, and on my road bike for the past season. I’ve never flatted on either, and its much easier to carry a couple spare tubes and tire boots should the sealant not work, than it is to carry multiple tubulars.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Sure, I do. As to why run tubulars off road I guess it is just a matter of that is all I have right now. I do have a clinchers on my fixed gear but I am looking to fix that this winter. I don't ride any crazy nasty ugly rough gravel, but we do have some good forest service roads and logging roads. I run Veloflex 25 or Schwalbe one 30 and they are just fine. Someday I may go ahead and try some fat tubless wheel and tire combo they obviously do have some advantages for the rougher gravel.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’d have to ask why? IMO, Tubeless makes much more sense for gravel riding. I’ve had tubeless on my MTB for 12 years, and on my road bike for the past season. I’ve never flatted on either, and its much easier to carry a couple spare tubes and tire boots should the sealant not work, than it is to carry multiple tubulars.
Actually, it doesn't. Tubulars still ride better than the best tubeless tires.

I flat so infrequently on my tubular gravel wheels that it's a non-event. I started riding tubulars because I got so many flats riding with tubes.

Yeah, tubeless is a somewhat close second, but oh my! the ride of the tubular...

M

edited to add: I did my first 3-4 Hilly Billy Roubaix-es on tubulars. Zero flats.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Actually, it doesn't. Tubulars still ride better than the best tubeless tires.

I flat so infrequently on my tubular gravel wheels that it's a non-event. I started riding tubulars because I got so many flats riding with tubes.

Yeah, tubeless is a somewhat close second, but oh my! the ride of the tubular...

M

edited to add: I did my first 3-4 Hilly Billy Roubaix-es on tubulars. Zero flats.
Do you carry spare tire(s) during races? If not, bottle of Stans?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 AM

My gravel setup is tubular. I'm experimenting with tubeless again (after a pretty terrible experience with them a few years back) on the road but they've got to earn my confidence. That's not an issue for me rolling tubulars and carrying a bottle of Orange Seal.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
My gravel setup is tubular. I'm experimenting with tubeless again (after a pretty terrible experience with them a few years back) on the road but they've got to earn my confidence. That's not an issue for me rolling tubulars and carrying a bottle of Orange Seal.
What tubulars do you use for gravel? I'm thinking of going that route. Any issues with sidewall slashes?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 AM

I would not mind going tubular on the gravel. I run it with tubes and 38mm compass right now as I found tubeless a PIA.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Do you carry spare tire(s) during races? If not, bottle of Stans?
yes to both. I have a seat bag that's set up specifically for tubulars and tubeless with the valve core remover, bottle of sealant, etc

Actually lost my spare at one HBR at about the 1/3rd mark. Noticed it well after I'd left that section of 'road.'

M
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM

I like tufo tubulars for such terrain. They are different then standard tubulars. They are sort of like tubeless tubulars if ya know what I mean. If ya don't then in short the tube is in there but it's sort of glued to the inside of the tire. You can put Stans in them and it works really well for punctures. Tufo's are the tuffest tubular tires out there imho but you don't have the plush ride of an FMB. But it's a good trade off for sharp and jagged gravel.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I like tufo tubulars for such terrain. They are different then standard tubulars. They are sort of like tubeless tubulars if ya know what I mean. If ya don't then in short the tube is in there but it's sort of glued to the inside of the tire. You can put Stans in them and it works really well for punctures. Tufo's are the tuffest tubular tires out there imho but you don't have the plush ride of an FMB. But it's a good trade off for sharp and jagged gravel.

Yeah, if the tubular option for Gravel is Tufo then I am out. Not riding on garden hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Yeah, if the tubular option for Gravel is Tufo then I am out. Not riding on garden hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahaah! They aren't that bad but that's funny LOL
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Are Donnelly cross tubs made by Tufo? IIRC, they are also sans tubes.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Yep, Donnelly tires are (or at least used to be) made by tufo. They are very popular for cross in the US and I’ve had great luck with them.

The new Challenge Gravel tubulars announces at Eurobike are the same style - tubeless tubular. Not sure if Tufo is involved with those.