Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2024, 10:58 AM

Ticking Tubs in 2024

I turn to you in a time of need - it's 2024 and I can't tell if Vittoria still makes lumpy tubs (Corsa Pro 25mm), or both the bike shops I asked to glue them on did a shoddy job. There is the classic ticking per wheel revolution from my front wheel, and I've done the electrical tape trick around the valve as well as a gel silicone sticker from Miche to try to stop it, but all it did was slightly dampen the noise. Any other tips and tricks I'm missing out on?
Old 09-19-2024, 11:27 AM

Is all the base tape intact / stuck to the casing?.. I vaguely recall in the distant past that, after I'd repaired some flats, I couldn't re-glue the basetape perfectly, and some of it would catch on the brake pad in its partially peeling state. But assuming these are new tires, this shouldn't happen...
Old 09-19-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Is all the base tape intact / stuck to the casing?.. I vaguely recall in the distant past that, after I'd repaired some flats, I couldn't re-glue the basetape perfectly, and some of it would catch on the brake pad in its partially peeling state. But assuming these are new tires, this shouldn't happen...
I had them pulled off once, so not entirely new anymore. The brakepad doesn't seem to be catching on anything, but I did hear of a trick of using a bit of tubular tape right around the rim to ensure even more stickiness.
Old 09-19-2024, 03:37 PM

Make sure to push some of the electrical tape down the valve stem and into the rim itself. Otherwise you’ll still have metal on metal contact. Good luck getting that sorted. At the current prices Vittoria is charging for their tubulars there had better not be any dodgy construction happening.
Old 10-04-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Slim View Post
Make sure to push some of the electrical tape down the valve stem and into the rim itself. Otherwise you’ll still have metal on metal contact. Good luck getting that sorted. At the current prices Vittoria is charging for their tubulars there had better not be any dodgy construction happening.
Had the shop (very kindly of them!) take my tub off again and reglue it, but before that they wrapped the valve stem with electrical tape. Turns out the ticking is still happening, and on much closer inspection the lump is right where the basetape and the valve meet.

I paid $120 per tub for these things...
Old 10-04-2024, 04:56 PM

The base tape will overlap close to the valve stem. This is where a lump could appear however tires can be defectively manufactured out of round. Spin the wheels up while the bike is on a work stand. You should be able to visually determine if they are out of round. If they are then Vittoria should warranty them. Your shop appears to want to make you a happy customer and will hopefully go to bat for you and replace them.

Last edited by VC Slim; 10-04-2024 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added more words
Old 10-04-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernium View Post
Had the shop (very kindly of them!) take my tub off again and reglue it, but before that they wrapped the valve stem with electrical tape. Turns out the ticking is still happening, and on much closer inspection the lump is right where the basetape and the valve meet.
Tends to be a high point of sorts in that area. Some folks use a broom handle or something similar to press this area down tight against the concave rim surface when gluing.

Somewhat surprised that the Old Tater hasn’t chimed in here… he’s glued tons of tubulars.

But yeah, as VC Slim says, if the shop can’t glue them down so that they’re noise-free, might be time to seek a replacement.