Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
This is simply an amazing read and one I’m happy to bring to the top for those who haven’t read it yet.
I’m on vacation and reading through every Pegoretti thread here over the days so far, as we approach the one year anniversary of his death :-(
Nice.

But this thread needs at least one photo..

Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 AM

First time seeing this post and I am a little confused.

Maybe I am short-legged long-torsoed, but the Reality of "I'm 5'9" and ride a 59" don't add up.

I'm 5'11" and regardless of contact points standover is my number one factor in how big a flat top frame I can fit. I have about an inch of freeway space on any given size 56 frame. Anything more and I am ball-teetering to stay afloat at rest.

I'm curious what the inseam is of the OP who is 5'9" and rides any flat tube road bike comfortably.

Am I missing something here?
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM

Agreed.
I’m 5’11”+ and could not ride a level top tube 59.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:32 AM

My first read of this thread as well. I miss 'dbrk'.

I had a 59 Peg for a yr or two (I was 5-10 at the time, now I'm 5-8.5... after my '15 crash, multiple spine fractures and neck fusion). I did OK on that bike, enjoyed the ride and it performed very well under me.

I have to say my 56 Duende feels like the 'right size', though.

Even moreso as I have become a bit more compact.

Last edited by thwart; 08-17-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: whoops, always thought it was a 58, but actually turned out to be a 59
Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 AM

At 5'8 and a 32" inseam I was comfortable on my 54cm Duende, Mxxxxxo and Responsorium. I would likely be ok up to 56cm, but 58 would be a stretch.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 07:49 AM

I've had a BLE since late 2006 when I bought it from SoCal. Last year I got a Falz fork from Jerk's place to replace the Reynolds Ouzo Pro. Falz is the fork it should have had all along. It more closely matches the rest of the bike in terms of stiffness and handling. When I had the frame repainted a few years ago, I had a FD hanger added which all BLE's had after 2014. I think it was a good call because the FD clamp is where I had paint issues. Now it just bolts up and the hanger is stainless.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Should you ever be near Portland

I stopped in at Lakeside Bicycles in Lake Oswego, OR last week. They had a beautiful selection of Pegorettis, maybe 15 different frames, several different models. They were stunning to look at; almost made me miss the Marcelo I sold a few years ago.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM

I have been a member here since 2004. I too miss DBRK and his insight very much. What happened to DBRK? I missed his exodus.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 AM

I think it was 5-6 years ago that dbrk was selling off some of his bicycles; he had listed a couple in the classifieds. I bought one of them, a very nice mint Dave Kirk frameset made with Rene Herse lugs - don’t know whether dbrk had specified them or not.
Ironically I never built up the frame as the head tube is a bit short for my ageing back.
Come to think of it, the frame is pretty much a 56 square, smaller than the 59’s that Dr. Brooks apparently preferred.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:59 AM
needs adult supervision

One note about Douglas (the OP): he is, among many other accomplishments, a yoga master, so his body's relationship to bike frames might vary from us mere mortals. Years ago, he gave me some yoga poses to do to aid my body and riding. The man is bendy.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Too large?

A colleague of mine told me about DP three years ago and said to check out for his custom frames but I didn't think much of it since I was not into steel and couldn't afford it. I didn't know he had cancer and may he RIP but I wanted to see what the hype was all about after he had passed.

I sought out any type of DP bike and found one here from a PL member. I'm 5'10" and ended up buying a 59cm Responsorium Ciavete on a whim. The member said if it did fit then he would refund my money. Fast forward four months later and I couldn't be happier. Yes, it's slighter large but I live in SF and climb these hills w/o any issues.

I've had aluminum and carbon in the past which were fine but I just enjoy the steel when riding these streets. I'm not into racing but just love riding and enjoy the scenery of the best city in the world.

I drank the Kool-aid and think others should too regardless of size
Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 AM

This thread needs a Luigino
Old 09-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonruden View Post
This thread needs a Luigino
Yes it does!. Like the TA crankset too.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Found this thread from across the hall--Peg sizing was C-T-C for frames up to 57cm; larger frames were effectively Freuler frames with dropped top tubes...

So in theory a '59' would have that length TT but the issue of feeling as if the TT was too high to be comfortable would go away.

Still though, at DBRK's height the 59 would feel long unless you were flexible--I started to find 58.5 (the Colnago Freuler TT length on the larger frames) too long) and have settled in at 56-57...

Great thread--before my time and a good read.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ion-16159.html
Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
This is simply an amazing read and one I’m happy to bring to the top for those who haven’t read it yet.(...)
I didn't notice the date at first. For a moment I thought dbrk was posting again!

For those of us who've followed the Paceline through its many variations back to the Serotta forum and the Bicycle Fan Club, this is what makes the Paceline special. There is *so much* high quality information here. People like dbrk, the Jerk, Big Mac -- there are too many to name -- posted hundreds of threads like this.