Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 AM

Tire Advise - Rene Herse Content

Yesterday as I was coming back from a ride, something slashed my Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass (standard casing) real good.

This is so royally cut that when I pump the tire it perturbs a little out of the hole.

Is this a case where one retires the tire or will tubeless repair kit save the day?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 AM

That's toast.
Would not ride on that again.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 AM

You could boot it from the inside and see how it goes but I'd never ride it personally.

Supple comes at a cost.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Administrator

edit: i just re-read.

sounds like that cut is all the way through the casing. in this case, a boot is not likely to be a good long term solution, as crap is going to get in there and foul things up.

game over for that tire.

as mentioned, it's a trade off. the compass tires ride beautifully, but they really are made just like a supple road racing tire. low weight, not much rubber in the tread and soft compounds all contribute to the awesome ride at the expense of durability.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Done. Trainer duty would be about the limit for it.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
as mentioned, it's a trade off. the compass tires ride beautifully, but they really are made just like a supple road racing tire. low weight, not much rubber in the tread and soft compounds all contribute to the awesome ride at the expense of durability.
Actually, I'm surprised at the tread depth (we're talking thick!) on my Barlow Pass tires. My guess is the 'suppleness' is primarily due to sidewall design.

Then again, I have the standard version, not the EL.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:25 AM

I'm thinking that cut would happen on any decent road tire. If you run over a sharp object, that's what happens, unfortunately.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 AM

Good to read!

It might be a good opportunity to replace them with the new Endurance+ tires from Rene Herse.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:55 PM

I had a similar cut on a Grand Bois Hetre I was running tubeless, I used the large rectangle size Rema patch on the inside and it was fine for ~1500 miles. No bulging under pressure or hop in the tire and I think it's fine.

You decide to get ride of the tire let me know.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:16 PM

Is it cut clean through or just partially?
As mentioned you can boot it to keep the tube from bulging, and the other thing you can do prior to boot/patching is pinch it open as in the pic and squeeze some shoe goo into the cut, let it relax and dry, then boot. If you boot, try a bigger section of old tire casing (remove rubber tread) and give plenty of space around the cut. Sand inside of the tire casing and then rinse w acetone or alcohol, then glue w shoe glue, barge cement etc. far from perfect and may be a discernible bump but should be safe to ride. We used to do this all the time with cut road tires we we didn’t want to toss and I’ve never seen one cause an issue. The boot/patch can be prone to coming off depending on how well you were able to get it to adhere. Seems some tires easier than others...
I know some people freak when they see a cut but it’s on the tread. Sidewalls a different story...of course this is just experience of myself and friends so take it at that but could be worth a try. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 PM

If the inner tube can breach the casing, then it would be better to try that other tire you've been thinking of.

I have not tried the Rene Herse tires since the rebrand. I do like Panaracer's new road tires, so I'll probably try them at some point, but maybe first dig out my old Mr. Tuffys
Old 09-23-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Actually, I'm surprised at the tread depth (we're talking thick!) on my Barlow Pass tires. My guess is the 'suppleness' is primarily due to sidewall design.

Then again, I have the standard version, not the EL.
Compass / Rene Herse tires have reasonably thick treads for road tires; my front Baby Shoe Pass EL has plenty of wear left after 10,000 KM. The tire casings are lightweight, especially the EL variants, and there is no anti-puncture layer.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 AM

Wow...I've never had any tire last that long.

SPP
Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM

10k km is a lot. I never had any tire last that long, but that's probably related to my weight and where I ride.

Curious to see what @JanHeine will say.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Wow...I've never had any tire last that long.
I used to get ~1500 Km out of a 700 x 23. A 42 mm tire at 45 psi has a large contact patch. Ive put more than 14,000 miles on 42 mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, but those are truck tires.