Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 02:10 PM

Uncoupling..........

I recently moved and had the good fortune of not having cable TV for almost three weeks. No news programs, no mindless chatter. Then yesterday, my other half told me to go do what I want, she was doing her last open water swim of the season. I decided to ride, by myself. Passed on two group rides and pedaled around for 30 miles enjoying a gorgeous day in Saratoga county. Just me, my DK custom, and a pair of Veloflex Vlanderen. The weather, the wheels, and the solitude were perfect. Thank you to my other half, Dave Kirk, and the good Lord for the opportunity to appreciate a simpler, yet finer thing in my life. It was a great b'day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eleanor 13.jpg (104.4 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by GParkes; 09-22-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Now that's bicycle ridin!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:33 PM

That's a nice ride. More pics please.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Cutting out chronic cable news-watching/listening is easily one of the best things possible for your sanity. It’s one thing to stay informed, quite another to keep listening to crosstalk and spin. Very nice.

Glad you got the opportunity to spend your birthday savoring what makes you truly happy!
Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois View Post
Cutting out chronic cable news-watching/listening is easily one of the best things possible for your sanity. It’s one thing to stay informed, quite another to keep listening to crosstalk and spin. Very nice.

This!! I also quit all social media except instagram. Never felt saner, never felt more present, never felt happier.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM

I'm working on my masters and I only have the TV on for about 20 minutes each morning before work to check on financials. In the evening, I'm at my control center (laptop, dock, two big monitors) working in silence. I like uncoupling as well and just focus on history.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Administrator

i dont ever watch the news.

i have literally zero interest in professional sports, which i know is what ties a lot of people to television.

i'll unwind at the end of the day with a glass of wine or scotch and an obscure streaming documentary or something like that, but for the most part - there is very very little television in my life.

we are also parents of a young family, and there is always something to do, watching TV just feels like a waste of time.

happy birthday GP,. sounds like you may have yourself a yearly tradition here. cut the cable for your birthday month and enjoy the freedom!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 PM

Sounds like the perfect birthday to me!

(I'm mildly annoyed that I was nailing down flooring this weekend instead of riding, but this too will pass...)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Happy Birthday - sounds like it was well spent.

I don't watch much TV either. Normally, I find myself listening to music, reading (well, listening to books - I am totally hooked...), or reviewing research. My bet is this isn't too uncommon among this group. I, like others, don't enjoy professional sports much. The cycling is much better during game time with fewer cars on the road...

Frankly, to me at least, most TV is not that interesting. For drama, I get plenty at work.

Uncoupling - good choice.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Barely Hanging On

I don't have live TV anymore, but I just can't quite the news, even though I think I'd be happier if I could. I feel a sense of obligation to at least be moderately informed of what's going on in the world. I'm pretty good about mentally filtering out the parts of social media I don't want, which is generally political stuff, rants, etc. I do like to see what other people are up to, what their adventures (mainly food, travel and cycling) are, etc.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 PM

Tangent - the Kirk looks awesome.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 PM

The weather in New York this week has been beautiful. That is a gorgeous Kirk!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That's a nice ride. More pics please.
Here's a link when first arrived.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168765

And bare from Dave's site
http://kirkframeworks.com/wp-content...DSC_623611.jpg
http://kirkframeworks.com/wp-content...DSC_623111.jpg

I have plenty more from build process. I'm not materialistic, but this is a prized possession.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i dont ever watch the news.

i have literally zero interest in professional sports, which i know is what ties a lot of people to television.

i'll unwind at the end of the day with a glass of wine or scotch and an obscure streaming documentary or something like that, but for the most part - there is very very little television in my life.

we are also parents of a young family, and there is always something to do, watching TV just feels like a waste of time.

happy birthday GP,. sounds like you may have yourself a yearly tradition here. cut the cable for your birthday month and enjoy the freedom!
Thnx Nick, best b'day in a long time. Might take your advice on the no TV month.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Happy birthday, and beautiful Kirk!
Hilltop beat me on bid for his latest one. Maybe a good thing as it's just a smidge too long. Now yours...