Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:25 PM

Omg some ppl here.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Plant a LOT more trees. The cheapest and best way to combat climate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Plant a LOT more trees. The cheapest and best way to combat climate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Man, I can't even begin to tell you how many trees I planted when I was at OSU. They may get harvested one day but in the meantime they are producing fresh oxygen, providing habitat, and anchoring soil.

W.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 PM

What a great and timely conversation! I’ve got no new ground to break within the articulate comments already presented.

I get that there is controversy about the degree/rapidity of climate change, but find it astonishing and tragic that there is argument that humans have any involvement in its cause.

The best case scenarios are awful. Not just increasingly intolerable weather, but disease, crop failure, uninhabitable regions, social upheaval, and war. The rate of change appears to be accelerating, meaning that our ability to adapt will be severely tested.

This problem is so immense that it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and impotent in our ability to respond. It’s inspiring to see our young people being gutsier than we are, just as they have been with other issues like school shootings. And no wonder: these are existential threats to them. Us older folks will die soon—we won’t suffer the consequences as they will.

I have been ambivalent whether any virtuous action I take does anything other than make me feel virtuous. But I have become more convinced that acknowledging responsibility for my own contributions and adjusting my actions accordingly can be part of a groundswell influencing the changes our world community must make. Those actions include selecting better leadership. It’s clear that the incestuous relationship between government and industry has to be dissolved and that while capitalism has some positive features, unfettered capitalism puts us all at risk.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
exactly ! glad to see someone else gets it too.
Sounds like you guys are...virtue signalling. Look at us. We get it.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Sounds like you guys are...virtue signalling. Look at us. We get it.
sure whatever you wanna think
Old 09-22-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
sure whatever you wanna think
Lol
Old 09-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Feels like this has run it’s course if we are getting personal.

If it continues this way or just gets repetitive, we’ll move on.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
What a great and timely conversation! I’ve got no new ground to break within the articulate comments already presented.

I get that there is controversy about the degree/rapidity of climate change, but find it astonishing and tragic that there is argument that humans have any involvement in its cause.

The best case scenarios are awful. Not just increasingly intolerable weather, but disease, crop failure, uninhabitable regions, social upheaval, and war. The rate of change appears to be accelerating, meaning that our ability to adapt will be severely tested.

This problem is so immense that it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and impotent in our ability to respond. It’s inspiring to see our young people being gutsier than we are, just as they have been with other issues like school shootings. And no wonder: these are existential threats to them. Us older folks will die soon—we won’t suffer the consequences as they will.

I have been ambivalent whether any virtuous action I take does anything other than make me feel virtuous. But I have become more convinced that acknowledging responsibility for my own contributions and adjusting my actions accordingly can be part of a groundswell influencing the changes our world community must make. Those actions include selecting better leadership. It’s clear that the incestuous relationship between government and industry has to be dissolved and that while capitalism has some positive features, unfettered capitalism puts us all at risk.
There will be lots of demonstrations and lots of yelling back and forth and perhaps it will translate into election results in Nov 2020 BUT..nothing will really get 'done' until people are forced, as in some world wide crisis..My $ is on a pandemic...caused by poor living conditions made worse by climate change..that spreads to places like the US, Asia, Europe..it may also spurn armed conflicts, another real problem as the 'big boys' not only arm themselves to the teeth but spout about how great and YUGE 'their' military is or how the US is 'NUMBER 1' in fossil fuel production..as if that's any kind of 'answer(yes to those who value more billion$)...Tough times up ahead for my grand daughters regardless...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There will be lots of demonstrations and lots of yelling back and forth and perhaps it will translate into election results in Nov 2020 BUT..nothing will really get 'done' until people are forced, as in some world wide crisis.....

Agree...AND my teenage daughters have this topic occupying their thoughts.

This thread has many weighing in on this topic....my question is simple

As individuals. What do we have to lose by being more mindful in our opportunities to make better decisions to help the environment?

This weekend we took action...we discussed what we are currently doing and what changes we could make. We immediately started to implement these decisions. We also left it open to add more ways to make improvements and to even modify our decisions for better options.

Thank you to the original poster for starting this thread as the discussion may have infected other discussions outside of this forum...it definitely did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Does anybody else find the media attention around Greta a bit creepy? I remember being uncomfortable in church when the "faith" of children was put up on a pedestal, seemed a bit exploitative and it was clearly emotionally manipulative.

My feelings here are agnostic of her message. I just get creeped out by adults using children to front their ideas.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Does anybody else find the media attention around Greta a bit creepy? I remember being uncomfortable in church when the "faith" of children was put up on a pedestal, seemed a bit exploitative and it was clearly emotionally manipulative.

My feelings here are agnostic of her message. I just get creeped out by adults using children to front their ideas.
This is all her tho? She is the one who started this her parents are not involved other than im sure they also care about the enviroment and their daughter like most other do.

I think its great she gets so much media attention. An adult would never have been able to attract the same publicity and never the same following. Kids today here and in a lot of places are growing up caring and thinking about the nature and climate. They would not have if not for her and i dont think they would have felt nearly the same nor strong if it was an adult trying to convey the same message.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Well, I would just recommend the same situation but with an issue your really disagree with. Would you feel the same way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
This is all her tho? She is the one who started this her parents are not involved other than im sure they also care about the enviroment and their daughter like most other do.

I think its great she gets so much media attention. An adult would never have been able to attract the same publicity and never the same following. Kids today here and in a lot of places are growing up caring and thinking about the nature and climate. They would not have if not for her and i dont think they would have felt nearly the same nor strong if it was an adult trying to convey the same message.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There will be lots of demonstrations and lots of yelling back and forth and perhaps it will translate into election results in Nov 2020 BUT..nothing will really get 'done' until people are forced, as in some world wide crisis..My $ is on a pandemic...caused by poor living conditions made worse by climate change..that spreads to places like the US, Asia, Europe..it may also spurn armed conflicts, another real problem as the 'big boys' not only arm themselves to the teeth but spout about how great and YUGE 'their' military is or how the US is 'NUMBER 1' in fossil fuel production..as if that's any kind of 'answer(yes to those who value more billion$)...Tough times up ahead for my grand daughters regardless...
We are already in a world wide crisis. Some people don't care, benefit from it, are blind to it etc. 1/4 birds gone since the 1970s, barrier reef in serious decline, the amazon is pretty much gone, and a huge increase in extreme weather, countless species extinct, the list is becoming longer and longer. the earth is already suffering, and the suffering has just begun.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
There is some irony right there: Complaining about the term virtue signaling while calling for a substantive response instead.

The world would be better off if those doing the signaling did something substantive instead of making empty gestures
The world would also be better if people didnt make assumptions that other people are not doing anything. Mr Kirk pulls out thoughtful response after thoughtful response and you follow up with a personal attack? classy, crassy! empty gestures? Mr Kirk offers thought in his posts, lots of it. then you come in suggesting a lack of substance. irony much?

so what makes you think folks aren't doing anything substantial? projections? personal experience? ignorance? naivete? general jadedness? just feel like it?

im curious how you guys get so much while knowing so little about that which you get. what are you trying to prove, and to who?

Last edited by Mzilliox; 09-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Closed Thread