n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Suspension lockout is useful stuff.
I understand that. But it still bobs.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
This thread inspired me to take my rigid mountain bike out for a ride today, and it reminded me of why east bay mountain bike riding is so depressing.
Redwood Regional is perfect for a rigid (save perhaps for the hairy descent on the West Ridge). But yeah, no well groomed stuff like in Marin. Pretty rutty.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I split my SF Bay Area dirt riding across a FS 29er, rigid 29er, and drop bar gravel (700x38s). I'm in SF so getting out to Marin requires a bit of time on the road. For fireroad riding in Marin, I switch between the gravel and rigid 29er. It's more fun to rip the descents on the rigid 29er, but the gravel bike is faster on the road. I think if all I was interested in riding were the fireroads I'd get hard tail or rigid 29er.
Yeah, as has been mentioned, there's very little actual "gravel" in the Bay Area. That's another problem with a lot of the "gravel" bikes: they're not geared appropriately for the dirt here. I struggle up the Canyon trail in Redwood Park with a 32/10-42 combo. There's no way I want to climb that with a bigger gear in front. (Like a 42t 1X).
Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It depends on you as a rider and your likes and skills. I rode a drop bar Yeti for years back when I thought I was John Tomac but it's hard work and less safe. You do get style points and all the chicks though. Certainly can be rewarding.

You didn't mention budget but if you want a great riding hardtail to toss around you could do much worse than spending $2700 on this Kona. You can spend more, or way more and have a custom bike but you won't have any more fun IMO.
Wait...this changes everything!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Wait; you can have one bike which is a dropbar 29er and rigid and MTB.