Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Off season cross training - without a gym

I’m looking for some guidance on a basic cross training routine to do for the next couple months during the off season. I dispise going to the gym so I’m looking for things I can do around the house or outside (besides hiking, fat biking and XC skiing)

Right now I’m basically doing a variety of plank exercises, lunges, pushups, and light-duty work on my biceps and shoulders. In total, I’m probably spending less than 20 minutes each day on this stuff. Is that about right?

I’m not trying bulk up, just want to build basic strength in my core and arms while keeping my weight in check. Then, hoping to drop some weight in early spring as I can start getting in more miles on the bike.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Administrator

if you're not doing any cardio, your fitness is going to suck come spring.

are you opposed to buying any equipment? for the off-season, i find rowing about as excellent of a full body/core/cardio workout as you can get. swimming is great too, but obviously requires a pool. i run a lot in the winter as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Three things:

- core work. Your core is more important than your arms/back for cycling
- diet
- sleep

You can do lots of core work with nothing more than your body weight and one or more of these: large fitness ball, some resistance straps, a couple of 10 or 12 lb weights, yoga mat, Bosu ball, etc.

Cross country skiing would be a great work out, as would road or trail running.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
I’m looking for some guidance on a basic cross training routine to do for the next couple months during the off season. I dispise going to the gym so I’m looking for things I can do around the house or outside (besides hiking, fat biking and XC skiing)

Right now I’m basically doing a variety of plank exercises, lunges, pushups, and light-duty work on my biceps and shoulders. In total, I’m probably spending less than 20 minutes each day on this stuff. Is that about right?

I’m not trying bulk up, just want to build basic strength in my core and arms while keeping my weight in check. Then, hoping to drop some weight in early spring as I can start getting in more miles on the bike.
Hey KVN -

The things I emphasize to my clients:

1) Flexibility is the new 'strength training.' I'm not opposed to resistance training, and in fact, it's the best way to mitigate the loss of bone density as you age. But you don't need a lot of weight, and flexibility is the most overlooked facet of fitness. That is, until your back gets injured because you bent over to pick something up and your super tight hammies took a flyer...

2) Balance. You lose it as you age. Do some stuff using just one leg. It's really good for the smaller muscles of the feet as well...

3) Core. Core. Core. Go with the basics. Body weight squats. Push-ups. Planks. Planks are much better than the standard "crunches" (where your feet are anchored) because too many people use their lower back to generate the movement.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-17-2018, 12:31 PM

X-training

Get yourself some dumbbells, kettlebells, and or a bunch of resistance bands.
Design a program (youtube is your friend) to address your weaknesses.

That said- This is 2018 (almost 2019)- Anyone who lives in a snow climate who wants to improve on their bike rides a trainer- Often a smart trainer. These things are game changers for the motivated athlete.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Princess Sweat

bulgarian split squats.
single leg squats
bosu balance stuff
box jumps

work on your glute medius bruh. clam shells, side shuffle and monster walks with a band.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Great stuff so far. Thanks everyone!

Right off the bat I see that I've been overlooking flexibility my approach, so I can start working that in, but it sounds like there's some simple stuff that I can pick up to help me out. That's just what I was looking for.

I don't have the budget right now to get a smart trainer, but I've got a regular trainer and an HRM and have been getting by with that for the last year...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:25 PM

My wife and I don't like the gym either, but one has to do something in the winter. As others have mentioned you don't need a lot of equipment but I would say focus on what you do have. Also focus on Core, flexibility, and cardio. Here is my routine as an example.

Tuesday, Thursday: Yoga stretches that are cycling specific, core work, sit ups, planks, push ups. 20 min walk before I go to work.

Wednesday: 1 hour easy spin road ride, commute to work, grocery's or just playing.

Friday: 2 hour road ride mild intensity ( or 1 hour of riding my rollers

Saturday off

Sunday: 1 hour of rollers, add in the Tue, Thur routine. Monday: off

If the weather is to bad to ride I will jump on the rollers. Another benefit of riding rollers over a stationary trainer it helps your balance, and bike handling skills and I don't get as bored riding rollers.
Have a great day.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Winter I tend to cross train with hearty soups and bold red wines.

Summers are more fresh vegetables , on occasion very dry Riesling, and various cold ales.

Oh wait....wrong forum.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I don't have the budget right now to get a smart trainer, but I've got a regular trainer and an HRM and have been getting by with that for the last year...
You don't need a smart trainer.

Cycling movies or TdF replays are great to watch while grinding away on the trainer or rollers. The Sufferfest videos make it hurt more.

Or join Zwift, and connect your bike computer via one of several different ways, leveraging your existing trainer.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
You don't need a smart trainer.

Cycling movies or TdF replays are great to watch while grinding away on the trainer or rollers. The Sufferfest videos make it hurt more.

Or join Zwift, and connect your bike computer via one of several different ways, leveraging your existing trainer.
You don't actually need any of that stuff, either. I use an old-fashioned exercise bike, some earbuds, and The Bee Gees.

That's right. I said The Bee Gees.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:15 PM

I try to keep my upper body in shape during the off season doing an intense nightly routine of 12-oz. curls while watching the tube.

(Remember to switch off arms for nice symmetric gains.)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM

If books are your thing , these two have been good.
For cycling specific core training and posture correction:
Tom Danielson's Core Advantage: Core Strength for Cycling's Winning Edge by Tom Danielson, Allison Westfahl (2013)

For general strength training and technique you can do around the house:
Men's Health Your Body Is Your Barbell by BJ Gaddour http://a.co/d/3dH1iyD
Much of the basics can be found on YouTube too.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:40 PM

i've heard good things about show-shoeing that xfers directly to cycling.

Quote:
...In total, I’m probably spending less than 20 minutes each day on this stuff. Is that about right?
to me, 20 minutes seems really-really light. as in too light to get any meaningful benefit. of course it depends on your goals.

but 20 minutes is barely enough to register any sort of aerobic workout. likewise 20 minutes isnt enough time for any meaningful strenght/core work.

hell, it takes me 20 minutes just for my stretching to get ready for my offseason gym workout. my total gym time including warm-up and stretching is 90-120 minutes per workout.

Last edited by wallymann; 12-17-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Winter I tend to cross train with hearty soups and bold red wines.

Summers are more fresh vegetables , on occasion very dry Riesling, and various cold ales.

Oh wait....wrong forum.
I like how you train.