Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Contemplating Power Meter: experiences with Garmin Pedals?

I'm contemplating a power meter purchase. Its training feedback that interests me.
I'm interested in forumites experiences with Garmin pedals. These appear to be a reasonable price for PM relative to other equipment that's out there. I'm splitting equal time between road and gravel bikes so either a double purchase or maybe swapping between bikes. Experiences? good or bad.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 AM

I've Been Very Happy

with my Vector 2's - If I'm honest, wouldn't mind having the Vector3 pod-less option, but the pods are not annoying enough to justify the expense of replacing. My first and to date only power meter (aside from the KICKR) - really improved the quality of my rides from a training perspective.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Mine Vector 3's have been accurate, but seem to burn through batteries very quickly. A friend finally returned his after issues with dropouts (even after the battery door upgrade).
Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 PM

I like my Vector 3s. I switched from Speedplay Zeros, which I have been riding forever. If Speedplay made a power-meter pedal, I’d own them.

My Vectors have been perfectly reliable, even before the battery door swap and the firmware updates. I would not use them on a gravel bike however. I’d be concerned about banging them up and doing damage to the sensor. I use an old PowerTap wheel on my CX/gravel bike, and Shimano SPD pedals.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:02 PM

I was just talking with a buddy yesterday who likes his Vector 3 set. Don't know more than that.

I have the first generation of this pedal (Bepro) and have been real happy with it, although I'm not a heavy PM user. Company is in Italy, arrived at my door in US in 3 days.

https://cycling.favero.com/shop/dual...er-assioma-duo
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
PegoNagos

You can get used wireless SRMs on eBay for around $500. Just in case you decide to go crank based.

I have known some people that were early adopters of the pedal systems and the data wasn't good.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM

was an early user of the Vector, way back to V1. granted had a few issues w/V1 accpeting updates and syncing, but the V2 have been flawless. The pods are not an issue, battery life has been fine, 2-3 changes/year, w/lots of useage. I also really like the pedal platform. If V3 offers similar qualities w/out the pods I would recommend. Disclaimer, I also use a SRM on other bikes, it too is solid, but more costly, upfront and I have to mail in for infrequent battery replacement, and it doesn't provide dual power readings.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:52 PM

Read DC rainmaker

Best advice is to study DC Rainmaker's site. He is the best source on info on this and read the comments to his articles as they are quite helpful but a bit hard to read. Very hard to keep up with the power market but start at

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/...yers-2018.html

Do some investigation of these companies and their service/support policies as at some point you may need help etc.

Alan
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Best advice is to study DC Rainmaker's site. He is the best source on info on this and read the comments to his articles as they are quite helpful but a bit hard to read. Very hard to keep up with the power market but start at

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/...yers-2018.html

Do some investigation of these companies and their service/support policies as at some point you may need help etc.

Alan
THanks....exactly what i was looking for.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM

have both V2 and V3... been happy with both.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Favero ASSIOMA >> Garmin
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM

After all the issues people have had on numerous forums I’d hope by now that they’re good but I’d take a hard look at the Assioma Duos. I’ve had them almost a year (around 3k miles on them) and have had zero issues and I’ve swapped them 20+ times between bikes. Plus they’re cheaper and a bit lighter.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Message sent.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Yup, typical Garmin product - couple of beta iterations.. eventually it mostly works.. then 1% of the time you will be enraged by it.

If you're US based and want to go pedal based, I like the Powertap pedals the best - good service, nothing unusual. The Assioma pedals seem solid too, but then you're dealing with a euro-based company which makes service/support a little more marginal in the US.

(Own: Vector 2, Powertap Pedals, Stages, Powertap G3)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 AM

Recently got the Assioma. They have been plug and play so far