Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Gravel Grinder

The Flare R is a really nice light (I own one), but....

If you ride in the rain, I'd be cautious. It likes to stop working when it gets wet (once you turn it off), and won't go back on until it dries out. I had read this in another forum and didn't believe it until it happened to me. I haven't had the issue in the snow, only in the rain.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Tail-Light-Ultra-Bright-Bike-Light-Cyborg-USB-Rechargeable-Rear-RED-LED/163308938496?hash=item2605f8a500:g:GOIAAOSwnhJbvxU w:rk:27f:0

Try the Blitzu. It is rechargeable. You can also buy extra mounts to move from one bike to another. Blinks or solid and has at least 3 levels of brightness. Cheap too.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Dinotte Quad. I've had one that I've used for years now. Long run life in blinking mode--don't need to worry about turning off and on if you take a break. Well made with plenty of mount options.

I've used it on group rides and have had no complaints, even in full mode. I point it slightly downward, of course, so that it's not directly in the eyes of those behind me. The main point is that it's visible to drivers at a distance.

It's the best of several different lights that I've tried. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM

I always ride with 2 rear lights - seat post and seat stay
Rear lights are critical and batteries lose juice and the lights dim. I figure one goes out, the other should work (hopefully).
Old 12-17-2018, 05:22 PM

I generally use two or three taillights. I never want to be without, and it's not trivial to tell when you're riding when one goes out. At the moment, I have two which I paid for:
  • L&M Vis 360 (head and tail)
  • Planet Bike Grateful Red

and two freebies:
  • Serfas something-or-other
  • something else whose name escapes me (Princeton something?)

All are either rechargeable or take rechargeable batteries. I'm not too concerned how long any of them last, though the first two last much longer than the Serfas. The fourth is mounted on a bike I haven't been riding much and I haven't had it long, so I can't comment on its longevity.

The other thing I concluded after my 2017 crash was that a light up high is a good idea. It's nice to have a couple lights, but one on the seatpost and one on the seat stay aren't much different in terms of how they are blocked by other things, like that massive SUV which is bearing down on you. So, the L&M is up top, and the Serfas stays attached to my book bag for commuting. The other two are seat stay or saddle-mounted. Since the Serfas always comes inside, it's pretty trivial to just plug it in every few days.

Finally, I always turn on every light I'm rolling with, day or night.