Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 04:04 PM
basso 69

fulcum or campy

I am looking at upgrading to Fulcrum Racing Speed 40C Carbon Wheelset 2018 or campagnolo bora ultra 50. both clincher? what do you think?
Old 12-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Always Campag, Fulcrum are tensioned less to give a sloppier feel.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Fulcrum are tensioned less to give a sloppier feel.
Wow, that's interesting - what's your source for this information?
Old 12-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Well, I'm sure he learned that on the internet.

Also think there might have been a tongue stuck in a cheek when he typed that...
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 PM

Bora Ultra all the way. Fulcrum is marked up higher than campy for the same/ less product. As far as I know from Quattro vs Scirocco. Quattros are suppose to be equivalent to Scirocco but scirocco c17 have cup and cone vs quattro have sealed bearings yet Scirocco is $50 cheaper than Quattro. No idea about Racing speed vs Bora tho.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Administrator

both good options. the way i see it, if the rest of the drivetrain is campy - get the campy wheels, if sram or shimano, get the fulcrum.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Bora Ultra all the way. Fulcrum is marked up higher than campy for the same/ less product. As far as I know from Quattro vs Scirocco. Quattros are suppose to be equivalent to Scirocco but scirocco c17 have cup and cone vs quattro have sealed bearings yet Scirocco is $50 cheaper than Quattro. No idea about Racing speed vs Bora tho.
I’m surprised sciroccos have cup and cone bearings. I agree the fulcrum wheels are more expensive for the same basic design.

Last edited by shinomaster; 12-17-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sib View Post
Wow, that's interesting - what's your source for this information?
The Campag Factory, also work with four Campg factory trained mechanics, a fulcrum spoke tension is around 70% that of a campag spoke.

Fulcrum use the 2:1 spoke pattern which has the spokes more evenly spaced around the rim, with twice the number on the drive side (DS) against the non-drive side (NDS), wheras Campagnolo use the G3 pattern, with closely grouped sets of 3 spokes again using double the NDS number on the DS.

This means that there is a small but important difference in the treatment of the rim in the latter stages of production & to some extent in the final stages of the build or repair.

There is also (obviously) a difference in the drilling of the rims and in many cases the spokes are not interchangeable either, being of different lengths on the drive side of the rear, and in some cases of subtly different material too.

Campagnolo wheels down to the entry level now all use the Mega-G3 pattern and hub-flange design which builds a more reactive, stiffer drive side with DS spokes at a very slightly wider angle relative to vertical so giving a small amount of extra rear derailleur clearance relative to the biggest sprockets as well as a better DS / NDS tension balance against earlier versions.

Last edited by Joxster; 12-17-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That's pretty funny..
Quote:
The Campag Factory, also work with four Campg factory trained mechanics, a fulcrum spoke tension is around 70% that of a campag spoke.
Fulcrum are made where?

If you watch this person..not a crusty old Italian making these wheels...

http://www.bikebug.com/blog/how-fulc...eels-are-made/
Quote:
Fulcrum use the 2:1 spoke pattern which has the spokes more evenly spaced around the rim, with twice the number on the drive side (DS) against the non-drive side (NDS), wheras Campagnolo use the G3 pattern, with closely grouped sets of 3 spokes again using double the NDS number on the DS.

This means that there is a small but important difference in the treatment of the rim in the latter stages of production & to some extent in the final stages of the build or repair.
Sorry, gonna throw up the BS flag here. Tension on drive drive side rear and front for Campag or Fulcrum are both 'proper' and in the 120kgf range. I 'suspect' you may be talking about the non drive side rear, where, because of the 2:1 design vs the 3:1 design, may have lower tension but
Quote:
Fulcrum are tensioned less to give a sloppier feel
Nope, my aunt matilda's mustache on that one.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-17-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That's pretty funny..

Fulcrum are made where?

If you watch this person..not a crusty old Italian making these wheels...

http://www.bikebug.com/blog/how-fulc...eels-are-made/

Sorry, gonna throw up the BS flag here. Tension on drive drive side rear and front for Campag or Fulcrum are both 'proper' and in the 120kgf range. I 'suspect' you may be talking about the non drive side rear, where, because of the 2:1 design vs the 3:1 design, may have lower tension but

Nope, my aunt matilda's mustache on that one.
I was just going to chime in and say I haven't had any problem with either my Campy or Fulcrum wheels. My usually preferred Zonda/Racing 3 setups feel pretty much the same to me out on the road. I run quite a few of both.

I'm not sure about the comments of Fulcrum being more expensive. In my experience over the past several years I can usually get the Fulcrum equivalent cheaper over the Campagnolo version when shopping at the Europe sites. So I have more Fulcrums than Campagnolo wheelsets.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Fulcrum wheels do appear to be more expensive in the US. Re lesser product, I also noticed that the Fulcrum Zero Nite has an al rear hub vs Campy Shamal Mille carbon/al rear hub resulting in slightly lower spec weight. Not sure if the rim is different......other than spoke pattern.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:02 AM
commuter racer

I have a set of Shamals and a set of Fulcrum racing 1's, and the Fulcrums are not sloppy, but the Shamals feel a bit more springy and responsive when I sprint and the Fulcrums are maybe a tad more comfortable.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I had Shamal tubulars and still have Fulcrum 1 tubulars. Never noticed a difference between the two of them. Sold the Shamals as I prefer the aesthetics of the fulcrums (note these going up for sale soon too - 2 many wheels).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 11:58 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I had Shamal tubulars and still have Fulcrum 1 tubulars. Never noticed a difference between the two of them. Sold the Shamals as I prefer the aesthetics of the fulcrums (note these going up for sale soon too - 2 many wheels).
yes, the G3 lacing in the rear on the fulcrum is not as close together. depending on frame, can look "better" than campy.