Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
My wife forbids me using cast iron on our glass cook top. Someone told her using cast iron on it will ruin it. Does anyone here use CI on glass cook tops?
Yes. It CAN mar the glass, but if you lift it rather than just push it around the stove top, it'll happen much less. However, if she forbids it, well, you know your wife better than we do...
Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
(..) These pans will not be babied and will probably also see campfire use. (..)
With my utmost respect, I submit by inquiring how to care for cast iron pans on the internet, you have already "babied" them too much.

It's *cast iron*. Cook 'em. Wash 'em. Ferget 'em.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Get a chore boy stainless scrubber-or the generic ones from amazon. They're soft enough not to strip the seasoning but abrasive enough to be useful. New season is fragile, after a couple months not so. Use with lots of fat until you're at the fully seasoned point. SS is a better choice for acidic sauces-why you'd do those in cast iron if you had other options is beyond me.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I think that the rough surface of the cast iron has the potential to scratch the cook top, but idk.
I know: it did.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Vendor

I got a Lodge cast iron pan about two years ago to replace a non-stick All-Clad that kept losing its non-stick properties (to All-Clad's credit they did replace the pan). For a long time, I was also intimidated by the various cast-iron myths, but they're really simple to take care of and produce fantastic results. I use mine from everything to scrambling eggs to searing meats to roasting in the oven. I also do plenty of tomato-based sauces and use a metal spatula. I've got a gas range, but can confirm that they will scratch a glass top (don't ask).
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 PM

I love my cast iron pans, but I can't fully agree with the prior poster who say that soap is fine for cleaning them.

You *can* use soap sometimes, but it will diminish the seasoning and it can also bring rust (which is easy to scrape away).

It's far better to clean with water + abrasive; kosher salt is great, especially when dealing with burnt fat, but a plain abrasive pad probably works in many circumstances.

Save soap for when the above really doesn't work, and, when you use it, spread a tiny bit of olive oil, or another oil, around the pan with a paper towel, and it'll stay nice and fresh.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:14 PM

I have some that were my grandmother that are about 80 to 100 years old.
Here is a pot of sausage,chicken and oyster jambalaya in one of my dutch ovens. This one was made in Poland in 1912.My grandmother brought it over when she came over.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have some that were my grandmother that are about 80 to 100 years old.
Here is a pot of sausage,chicken and oyster jambalaya in one of my dutch ovens. This one was made in Poland in 1912.My grandmother brought it over when she came over.
Dude, it looks fine, but there's no way that jambalaya is still good after 106 years.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

All of my "cooking" is done in a microwave.

What's the best way to season a cast iron skillet for use in one of those?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
All of my "cooking" is done in a microwave.

What's the best way to season a cast iron skillet for use in one of those?
The ensuing house fire will probably leave a nice patina.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:06 PM

I have taken an angle grinder loaded with sandpaper to mine to get that smooth finish. Makes seasoning a little easier sometimes, and several of mine had a rough finish to start with. Just cooked breakfast 'taters in my fav this am. Once they are seasoned they are wonderful. Sometimes that takes some doing.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
I have taken an angle grinder loaded with sandpaper to mine to get that smooth finish. Makes seasoning a little easier sometimes, and several of mine had a rough finish to start with. Just cooked breakfast 'taters in my fav this am. Once they are seasoned they are wonderful. Sometimes that takes some doing.
Interesting. Did you use a flap disc? if so, what grit? I kinda like the idea of getting it smoother
Old 12-17-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
I have taken a green than brown scotch bright on one that was really rusted and some very minor pitting. It cleaned it up really nice.
At work we have different grit scotch bright that adheres to a vari-speed angle grinder the we use to clean up SS welds.
I do not think I would take sand paper to one unless the grit was very fine.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:01 AM

The grit was 80 or 100 I don't remember. It is iron, and whatever the surface imperfections were that caused the roughness quickly went away. I think I have used green scotchbrite to further smooth...point is it's really hard to hurt one of those things.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM

The OLD skillet Mom had was so smooth on the bottom I think it must have been ground that way when it was made because I can't imagine it ever getting that way through use. I never cooked in it so I can only wonder if a smooth pan is better than the rough surfaces in my Lodge pans. I know smooth is easier to clean.