Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 AM

OT: Cast Iron Frying Pans

I just picked up three Lodge cast iron frying pans for my two sons and me. These pans will not be babied and will probably also see campfire use.

I've read lots of advice about caring for cast iron pans. What is myth and what is truth?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM

You wont ruin it by washing it with soap, but I would still do that sparingly.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Most is myth. Feel free to use soap to wash them, they will stay seasoned. They are virtually indestructible, so you are good to go with any sort of use. I would not put them in the dishwasher, but that is about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM

When initially seasoning, give yourself a few more coats of whatever seasoning you decide on than you might think. In my experience with new Lodge cast iron, it takes a long time to build up the cooking surface you want. Butter seems to work better than oil. Bacon grease seems even better.

Dish soap might be fine for something you've had and used a lot, but it would be a huge setback for a newish pan, as it cuts away the exact material you're trying to build up.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
When initially seasoning, give yourself a few more coats of whatever seasoning you decide on than you might think. In my experience with new Lodge cast iron, it takes a long time to build up the cooking surface you want. Butter seems to work better than oil. Bacon grease seems even better.

Dish soap might be fine for something you've had and used a lot, but it would be a huge setback for a newish pan, as it cuts away the exact material you're trying to build up.
I always appreciate an excuse to cook bacon!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM

sorry OT, but if youre looking to get a good sear, Ive found that the Lodge carbon steel skillet does a better job than the regular cast iron. Just an FYI
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
sorry OT, but if youre looking to get a good sear, Ive found that the Lodge carbon steel skillet does a better job than the regular cast iron. Just an FYI
I saw that one too and may add it later.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 AM

I was in charge of cooking this week while in town visiting my significant other while she was working weird night shifts for her current rotation in medical school and there was a cast iron skilled thing involved in my foray into cooking.

I don't know much about cooking (grew up in a family that doesn't cook at all) so take the following with a huge grain of salt...

the instructions given to me, a rookie cook, by an experienced cook:

1) assume this bastard is always really hot. It'll get you.
2) you can use a metal spatula, just don't be ham handed with it
3) soapy water when it's done to clean is fine if really gunked up with stuff, but maybe not when it's a new pan that hasn't been "seasoned" yet?
4) dry it off very well to avoid rusting (maybe even re-heat it to burn off the water?)
5) re-oil it with something (canola oil I think was what I was given?) I guess to help keep it protected from elements?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:57 AM

I did bacon grease on my cast iron pans for initial seasoning.
I always clean with dish soap and light scrub, followed by a reheat to dry it out, then application of veg. oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Someone please debunk this myth, but another thing to note is any raw(non-enameled) cast iron cannot have any acidic substances in it or it will apparently leech.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ast-iron-myths

"In the end, our tasters could detect metallic flavors in the tomato sauce only after it had simmered for a full 30 minutes. So, while you can definitely cook with acidic ingredients in your cast-iron skillet, you have to be careful. First, make sure your pan is well seasoned; seasoning keeps the acid from interacting with the iron—to a point. An acidic sauce can afford a brief stay in a well-seasoned pan with no dire consequences. You should also be careful to remove acidic dishes from the skillet after they finish cooking; don’t let them sit too long in the warm skillet and transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. (These rules do not apply to enameled cast-iron skillets; the enameled coating makes it safe to cook acidic ingredients for any length of time.)"
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 AM

In the initial seasoning phase, you can “scrub” the pan with kosher salt and a paper towel or two. That gets what’s excess, and leaves the iron oiled.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Someone please debunk this myth, but another thing to note is any raw(non-enameled) cast iron cannot have any acidic substances in it or it will apparently leech.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ast-iron-myths

"In the end, our tasters could detect metallic flavors in the tomato sauce only after it had simmered for a full 30 minutes. So, while you can definitely cook with acidic ingredients in your cast-iron skillet, you have to be careful. First, make sure your pan is well seasoned; seasoning keeps the acid from interacting with the iron—to a point. An acidic sauce can afford a brief stay in a well-seasoned pan with no dire consequences. You should also be careful to remove acidic dishes from the skillet after they finish cooking; don’t let them sit too long in the warm skillet and transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. (These rules do not apply to enameled cast-iron skillets; the enameled coating makes it safe to cook acidic ingredients for any length of time.)"
Eh, I don't know about that. I've cooked chili and shakshuka in mine, both slow cooking with lots of tomatoes. Totally fine. But then again I definitely make sure my seasoning is well maintained.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:19 AM

I like a metal spatula too. The fish ones work well as I can scrape while cooking and keep the pan clean. I use soap when necessary and always reheat to dry as my pan used to have a rust odor which has been completely gone since doing the reheat.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM

I've never had a need to use soap on my cast iron - use one of these for any scrubbing duty, much more effective and no worries about messing up your seasoning: http://a.co/d/dJThQIk
Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I always appreciate an excuse to cook bacon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post

My go-to after I clean a pan is a good batch of bacon as the best way to get a nonstick surface.

And I'd agree. Butter typically works better than oil. But I'm no expert.