Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
I’m just not in love with canti brakes. I have two bikes with them. I my convert one to braze on center pulls and then sell the other
I wish your gunner was just a touch bigger holy hell I love that. I’d love to help you move that into my house
Old 12-17-2018, 07:16 AM

I think what you are proposing is very healthy and important - and would describe it as 'editing'. I feel with most things, the more you edit, the more refined the end product. You're editing out useless objects, and refining your relationship with cycling.

Sell it all!

I used to be terrible with and endless stream of stuff coming and going. I've improved a bunch and seek to streamline further. The reduction in buy/sell energy has resulted in a refocus - feels nice planning rides / training/ experiences instead of planning bike builds and purchases.

Good luck with it all!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Hmmm...well I am downsizing a bit or at least changing my focus. I've got a few listed locally for good prices but I doubt they'll go until spring. I've got a few more to move along too when I get around to it.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 AM

Fireselling

I've given FS mountain bikes to my grandkids.

Just keeping tubeless wheels inflated is a constant upkeep.

I don't like hanging by suspension forks so keep in racks although never heard or read that it was detrimental.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Anyone here struggle with having many bikes, some unridden, and find some sort of satisfaction /refuge in fireselling to clear the consciousness and “start over “?
I have hoarding tendencies, so no. I figure if you have room for them and ride them then they are keepers. You know that good feeling you get when you purge, clean, or get rid of something? I don't have that very much. Not sure where you acquire that, is it genetic? Is it learned?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
bikes at different locations.
also tackling this lately after acquiring the second location.
What is the rule on that?

It's great having bikes live where they need to live...for the different terrain and for convenience.

Instagram
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Steve, in my situation I go back and forth between locations almost every week. Schlepping the bike like that - just too much of a hassle.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
also tackling this lately after acquiring the second location.
What is the rule on that?

It's great having bikes live where they need to live...for the different terrain and for convenience.
I had so many bikes at one point I left one at my brother's house the next state over - literally 60 miles away - that was ridden once a year, if at all.

No shame in having a few bikes if you have a second location
Old 12-17-2018, 06:10 PM

I was getting ready to do some "editing" as Timto says (great concept, btw) when some jackass broke into my garage and did it for me. The insurance settlement let me turn 4 good bikes into 3 that were perfect for where I am and the riding I do right now. Worked out in the end, but maybe not the recommended path. Regardless, I strongly encourage moving along things that you aren't really using and living a less cluttered life in general.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM

Compared to keeping a large lot of motorcycles in the garage (I used to have over a dozen), I find hording many classic road bicycles to be a much easier gig.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 AM

I currently have 5 road bikes and a gravel and all get ridden. One bike is at work and gets ridden twice a week at lunch. Three are on rotation for a big Saturday rides, the rest are on rotation for Sunday rides. I also have a track bike that is my dedicated bike for the turbo trainer. I have a project bike that will be rebuilt in the coming months. If it's not being used, it should be sold or given to someone that will ride it.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 AM

I echo your sentiment that if it is not being used, sell it or give it away. We just downsized selling a 4 bedroom house with in-law aptmt. (kids are gone and in-law in heaven) and sold seasonal cabin we had for 35 yrs.. I am embarrassed over all we accumulated. What a hassle getting rid of stuff. As we approach retirement and as I consider post retirement, I shudder to think of the hassle I leave the kids when they look at Dad's bikes. If I am not riding it, it is gone. Maybe I am contributing to someone else's life and I am minimizing the headaches for my family. They will have enough to deal with.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
I echo your sentiment that if it is not being used, sell it or give it away. We just downsized selling a 4 bedroom house with in-law aptmt. (kids are gone and in-law in heaven) and sold seasonal cabin we had for 35 yrs.. I am embarrassed over all we accumulated. What a hassle getting rid of stuff. As we approach retirement and as I consider post retirement, I shudder to think of the hassle I leave the kids when they look at Dad's bikes. If I am not riding it, it is gone. Maybe I am contributing to someone else's life and I am minimizing the headaches for my family. They will have enough to deal with.
My folks have done the same. Letting stuff go is tough. But when it’s gone we don’t miss it. I barely remember stuff I had and hoarded for years.

Less is almost always more.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Fire selling and not starting over. Trying to get to a more manageable fleetlike two or three.
Mee too..I'm a big fan of 'purpose driven' stuff, from shoes to bikes to drills..to what I take to the range.

I don't like to have to 'decide' which of essentially 2 identical 'things' I want to use. 1 Corded drill, 1 cordless drill, 1 wet weather bike, 1 dry day bike..type thing.

I have also sold off a lot of bike stuff I know I'm never going to use also. Hopefully whomever bought that CRecord rear der or DT retro friction shifters, will use them.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM

I would have to say I found pleasure in my recent offload of bikes/frames/parts. It's nearly complete. I thought I wanted to collect/hoard some classic frames (Colnago, 7-11 etc.) but then realized they would just hang there 99.5% of the time, so moved them onto forum members to appreciate. Most often at a loss but I enjoyed putting them together; became a project/hobby for a good period.

I focused now too on ones that I am going to ride and trying to do more riding than building. A few dedicated ones; 29er, TT bike, dedicated go-fast and then custom steel...