Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 06:32 AM

+1 . rescue mutts are the best
Old 10-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Just bear in mind...

We rescued a Newfoundland-Poodle mix.
Poor guy was just over 10 weeks old when we got him.
He had been purchased, flown in to our area, surrendered, and fostered briefly by the local rescue to get a profile on his personality.
He was VERY insecure and there was a reason he was surrendered...he was a rambunctious and very playful dog. Throw that in the mix with the insecurity and the first few months were tough.

The notion of rescue makes all sorts of sense, but the folks that I know that did a rescue had a little bit of untangling to do before getting the pet they were looking for.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM

Newfoundland poodle mix? cant imagine that at all... specially in the personality. The good thing is that the dog got the curly hair, you wont have to sweep 10 times a day

Do you have a picture?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Ever read the kid's book, Ferdinand?

Last edited by VTCaraco; 10-20-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:55 AM

Got a mistake.

So a friend of a friend of someone had a litter of mistake pups. The wife found out about this litter somehow.
The female is a 55# black and white F1B labradoodle and the male is a pure bred hunting stock Llewellin english setter. He is about 50#.
The setter was not supposed to be the sire but S#@t happens.
He is 12 weeks old and was at a puppy rescue with a few of his litter mates a few hours away.
We named him Simon Girty. He is named after a river bandit that was from the local area.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ry-county.html
So now it is like raising another kid.

Last edited by skiezo; 10-31-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
So a friend of a friend of someone had a litter of mistake pups. The wife found out about this litter somehow.
The female is a 55# black and white F1B labradoodle and the male is a pure bred hunting stock Llewellin english setter. He is about 50#.
The setter was not supposed to be the sire but S#@t happens.
He is 12 weeks old and was at a puppy rescue with a few of his litter mates a few hours away.
We named him Simon Girty. He is named after a river bandit that was from the local area.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ry-county.html
So now it is like raising another kid.
That's a fine looking pup, I think you'll like him a lot.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
That's a fine looking pup, I think you'll like him a lot.
Especially after the worst of the teething and puppy destructiveness is out of his system.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 AM

We have a doodle, welcome to haircuts. for a dog.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
We have a doodle, welcome to haircuts. for a dog.
Yes indeed. When we got Cody we paid for one or two groomings and he hated to go and they were bad haircuts. For the cost of one to two groomer appointments you can buy the tools to do it yourself. I've been a dog barber for the last 10 years. Just watched a few YouTube videos about safety around the eyes and mouth where I picked up enough tips be comfortable doing it. Some good haircuts and some not so good but none worse than the pros were doing.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
Yes indeed. When we got Cody we paid for one or two groomings and he hated to go and they were bad haircuts. For the cost of one to two groomer appointments you can buy the tools to do it yourself. I've been a dog barber for the last 10 years. Just watched a few YouTube videos about safety around the eyes and mouth where I picked up enough tips be comfortable doing it. Some good haircuts and some not so good but none worse than the pros were doing.
+1. Seven-plus years of dog haircuts under my belt. GScot's advice is spot on. In addition to being much less expensive, it's also much less stressful for the dog. I usually give Max a bath on the night before a haircut. On haircut day, I just flip a few treats on to the table I use as a grooming stand. He jumps up, eats his treats, and then lays down for his haircut. A few times he has even fallen asleep!

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max_01-18-14_Rev-1.jpg (63.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
Oh, our dog is 12 y.o., I bought that clipper and the ceramic blades long ago -80$ plus tip is the going rate -problem with DIY grooming is my dog is an @$$hole and bites. Usually an hour running in the park and woods, a bath and he's too tired to really fight it and I can get the muzzle on....
Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM

He is growing

He is now 4 months old and is a hand full at times. We go on a 2 hour hike most days and a few times a week a 2.5 mile jog in the mountain.
He is in need of a trim.

After a trip to the groomer. On the grooming table.

I thought that I broke the cycle??
Old 12-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Saw a couple of poos mixed at CL in a pet listing, dude wanted like 1500 bucks for one...