Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
OK, I know we all (so a couple of you) joke about exploding carbon and all. I'm currently riding my gravel on steel (repurposed Zanc 29 with dirt drop bars) or ti (DeSalvo) but I ride with a buddy who's on the Niner carbon frame (RDO?) that I like and more importantly he likes. I've thought about picking up a carbon gravel frame, but with the rock and log strikes, dropped bikes, and general abuse that is part of the sport, I wonder how many of you have had issues with damaged or cracked carbon frames. I know carbon makes for a great MTB, I ride a Ripley, but it seems like MTBs are build up pretty solidly, while gravel frames seem more like road frames, at the lighter end of the spectrum. And folks sell their MTBs off for pennies on the dollar after just a few years.

Do any of you on carbon regret your purchase over tie or steel, and I'm 220 and 6'3", so I don't worry much about shaving off grams. I know gravel is a new discipline, so maybe there are not that many well used, light, carbon frames out there for analysis, though I have several buddies who have broken carbon CX frames, mostly I think due to crashed or dropped frames. I've seen broken steel and ti too over the years, though I think less of it. Anyway, not trying to start a carbon attack, I just wanted to ask.

I was riding my carbon Stigmata last week and had a pretty wild wreck. I am 220lbs and was riding rutted up trails next to the canal in the rain. While riding through a giant puddle I flung myself over and was caught in the roots and plants growing out of the side bank over the canal. I was literally hovering on sumac trees over the water and the Stigmata rolled with me and was flung a few feet from me. The frame wasn’t even scratched.

I was very impressed with the durability of this bike and it is also lighter than my titanium gravel bike and very close to my aluminum Zanc cx. Santa Cruz makes a very solid carbon bike. I am confident that the bike will take just about anything I can throw at it.This is the same puddle when there wasn’t any rain. I went right off of the right side as the road was completely enveloped in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The recently redesigned 2019 Salsa Warbird would be on my very short list for a carbon gravel bike. The Q&A indicates it will be offered as a frameset too.
Really dig the new design. It’s interesting to see how common this drop-stay design that accommodates 650B with 2.1” tires or 700c w/ 45mm tires. Open U.P., Ibis Hakka MX, Norco Search XR, Lyndsey GR, Why Cycles R+, now the Salsa Warbird, and several others. It’s a design I really like since it allows for a pretty broad tire size selection.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM

Ive been in a carbon gravel bike for a year and have zero regrets. It has curved seat stays and I find the ride to be quite nice and not jarring at all. It’s plenty stiff side to side. I’ve pushed it pretty aggressively on terrain arguably more appropriate for a hardtail mtb. I do lots of single track, rail it around berms and with big fat 2.1” tires I take a lot of the rocky stuff at speed and it holds it’s line very well. I have zero concerns about durability. I’m 168’ 5-11” on a 56cm frame. The only situation where I draw the line is drops more than a couple feet or jumps and getting air time...not concerned about carbon fork blades there, but a carbon steerer tube does worry me.

That said my dream gravel rig would be Ti...just a little more peace of mind. I’m not concerned about carbon damage when riding as much as I am if it tipped over and the TT slammed into a jagged rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
OK, I know we all (so a couple of you) joke about exploding carbon and all. I'm currently riding my gravel on steel (repurposed Zanc 29 with dirt drop bars) or ti (DeSalvo) but I ride with a buddy who's on the Niner carbon frame (RDO?) that I like and more importantly he likes. I've thought about picking up a carbon gravel frame, but with the rock and log strikes, dropped bikes, and general abuse that is part of the sport, I wonder how many of you have had issues with damaged or cracked carbon frames. I know carbon makes for a great MTB, I ride a Ripley, but it seems like MTBs are build up pretty solidly, while gravel frames seem more like road frames, at the lighter end of the spectrum. And folks sell their MTBs off for pennies on the dollar after just a few years.

Do any of you on carbon regret your purchase over tie or steel, and I'm 220 and 6'3", so I don't worry much about shaving off grams. I know gravel is a new discipline, so maybe there are not that many well used, light, carbon frames out there for analysis, though I have several buddies who have broken carbon CX frames, mostly I think due to crashed or dropped frames. I've seen broken steel and ti too over the years, though I think less of it. Anyway, not trying to start a carbon attack, I just wanted to ask.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:21 PM

To elaborate on the CF durability question here’s some very short 1min video clips from rides I’ve done where there is some pretty rocky & technical terrain. The first one I sought out big muddy deep puddles after a recent storm. It was a blast :-)

https://instagram.com/p/BjVbtAPHW7tG...dccJrtXA7HJM0/

https://instagram.com/p/Bin_UNIHkLn5...-7tGfYuhEfd80/

https://instagram.com/p/BgyeqPtgm1Gj...-9udBG23u7F00/

https://instagram.com/p/BfaICHvFlgyK...jq3js3-dBE6g0/

https://instagram.com/p/BdN-GN-lsVaD...rxEOW94KFAmw0/
Old 10-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Trail Donkey

Oh wow. I just looked at this frame and some of the builds, and it seems like a great carbon option. Thanks for the lead.

Ryan--
Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
get a hardtail mountain bike. they are the new gravel bike.
iluvuhouston but totally disagree after growing up on a steady diet of late 90s/early 00s XC hardtails in the depths of isolated suburbia without a driver's license.

around here, the gravduro monstersled is the jam. dirt-capable, but with the endurance of a spandex bike. stringing together some utterly stupid **** becomes a magical, easy thing. the riding position/drop bars own any mountain bike for fireroads and pavement mix, especially with modern long front center mountain bike geo. i mean, if the riding here were moderately technical, i'd change my tune, but when the roughest you'll find is a whopping 1000ft of tenderfoot...
Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Really dig the new design. It’s interesting to see how common this drop-stay design that accommodates 650B with 2.1” tires or 700c w/ 45mm tires. Open U.P., Ibis Hakka MX, Norco Search XR, Lyndsey GR, Why Cycles R+, now the Salsa Warbird, and several others. It’s a design I really like since it allows for a pretty broad tire size selection.
demo'd the new 2019 Warbird today.
While the 700c Tiagra build kit was underwhelming, I do think Salsa did a great job with this redesigned frameset. The fork has everything you could want (fender/headlight/cage mounts, dyno routing, etc) and still looks svelt and not overdone. Clearances are generous. The mechanic swapped in my 27.5x2.0 wheels (~51.5mm measured). Tons of fork clearance, good rear clearance. An honest rear 2.1 would be max, depending on knobbiness etc. Sadly, my too-small rear rotor would not allow a test ride with my 27.5 wheels.

The pedaling felt peppy for a gravel bike. The handling is appropriately neutral. Comfort was reasonable and would have been terrific with higher volume 650b tires on nicer wheels.

The new Warbird would be a great dirt-road 650b do-whatever bike for me.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 10-30-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
It is really nice to see this change in design to open up tire options. I was disappointed in 2013 when gravel bikes like the Warbird started coming out and were mostly limited to 38c max. 38c covers a lot of ground, but I can say for sure that the amount of fresh maintenance pea gravel dumped on the course at the 2012 and 2013 Almanzo 100 rides left me wanting something in the 40-43c range. That said, from 2014 to 2016, the course had hardly a bit of edge to edge fresh gravel and 35c was plenty.

Nice to have more choice as needs arise.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I've got three flavors now that can function on gravel/dirt of varying degrees:

Spectrum ti all road that can take 33-35s reasonably easy and is fine on dirt roads, some gravel and nontechnical single track.

333Fab AirLandSea with 650b 47mm Byways - leans more toward a drop bar mountain bike with the steel fork in nature but with a Seven matador fork its more gravel/cx in nature, and more fun on the road. It's a little slower on the road, but that's its nature - I notice its about a mile, sometimes 2 slower per hour than my road bikes on a typical ride.

Lynskey hardtail 29er.

I've listed the bikes in order of enjoyment as the road/path/trail deteriorates. The airlandsea is really quite good on singletrack, even rooted singletrack, particularly with the steel fork. Not as much fun on the road as the Spectrum though.

The Lynskey with a rigid Niner knockoff carbon fork and wide handlebars is better than either the Spectrum or the 333Fab when the road gets more technical, no surprises there really. With lower profile knobs like Maxxis Ardents its not too bad on the road, but I wouldn't want to go 10 miles road to get to the trail - a couple miles though and the hardtails offroad capabilities makes it more fun and relaxing than using the road bikes on semi gnarly stuff.

I also think tire volume makes a big difference, at least it does for me in confidence of descending. I'd rather have 650b x 47 than 700c x 38-40.

For 80/20 split, I'd be between the 650b and the Lynskey, but leaning toward the Lynskey - ti hardtails are really nice. But lots of good choices out there these days. If I was picking just one it would be a bike that could accomodate 2-2.1 650b tires.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk View Post
So - a question to those here who have shopped for / experience with gravel bikes, what would you choose for riding fire roads in Marin and why:

1. Open U.P.
2. Stigmata
3. Why Cycles R+
4. Other (e.g., True Grit, Moots Routt RSL, custom steel, etc.)
James Huang (lucky bike reviewer!) is very impressed by the Routt:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/12/moots-routt-rsl-review/

Quote:
The Moots Routt RSL is anything but cheap, but I’d argue that it’s far from a bad value. It’s among the best-riding and performing gravel bikes I’ve ridden, it should be laughably durable, and it’s impeccably constructed. Everything on it — from the bottom bracket threads to the rear brake tabs to the dropout alignment — is utterly perfect. It’s a forever bike in the truest sense, and amortized over that kind of time, even this bike’s asking price suddenly seems almost reasonable.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have an OPEN UP and its a fantastic bike. A few annoyances with it which might just be for me and not everyone. That said, as far as ridding go, that bike is amazing. On the road is as good as most road bikes I have ever ridden, gravel it is awesome with 50mm tires. The design is great, geometry is great, looks awesome. Only downside of the open is the price, its expensive and so there are some bikes that might be almost as good or as good (I had never ridden them) but are cheaper such as the new salsa and the ibis hakka. I chose the OPEN because of all the rave reviews, flat mount front and back (compared to the hakka), 3 bottle cages and I love the colors available.

Turns out the OPEN guys are also pretty rad so thats a plus.

I have never ridden your other choices... the stigmata is cool but doest fit big 650b rubber... never heard of the cycles R.... the moots is cool but expensive and also no 650b I don't think.

I am always for custom steel, would love to have a steel Breismeister and its probably what I would have done if I had some damn patience ahha.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:31 PM

Check out Rodeo Labs as well. Along with the Norco Search XR and Hakka MX, it’s another very worthy option alongside the super awesome Open UP offerings. FWIW, my Norco Search XR is far from flimsy, very stiff out of the saddle but handles the rough stuff very well. I take it on some seriously rugged mtb trails and generally abuse it...still going strong.

As others have said there are so many different segments within the realm of “gravel biking” some of them every bit as different from each other as cross vs road. A gravel bike on classic wooded Roubaix style gravel roads you see back east present a a different set of challenges than dry rocky loose stuff out west. If ones version of gravel biking is pretty constrained to traditional gravel roads winding through the hills anyone would be fine on 28-35mm tires. If it also includes single track, looking for opportunities to veer off the gravel road and explore a trail, bike packing, etc, Id argue that a 40mm tire would barely be adequate, ideally you’d want something much higher volume with some knobbies on the shoulders, maybe a little smoother down the middle. You’d also want more than 2 water bottles mounted, 3 or more, options to mount frame bags, etc. a strong case can be made for a dropper post as well. I keep propping the Norco, but it has all of the above, in addition to massive tire clearance :-)

It’s not really traditional gravel bike. I’d say it’s more of a cross over into Adventure biking, where people are often on converted 29er style bikes like the Salsa Cutthroat, suspension, 3-4” tires, etc.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:27 PM

A solid addition to the growing list of gravel options;

https://www.argon18bike.com/en/bikes/road/dark-matter
Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 PM

Once you go to 40mm, you will soon want more, IMO. I run a foundry flyover with 44mm rubber, and I love it....but I can’t wait for my next one that can accept 2.0+.
I prefer Steel/ti on dirt for durability and comfort. I’ve seen a salsa warbird seatstay snapped in half from a minor crash that could easily happen on dirt road ruts.
I would take a hard look at a BMC monster cross or bearclaw thunderhawk.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 PM

True

There is truth to this- I have gradually increased my favorite tire size.
I also ride mostly West Marin/Mt Tam.
I started with 700x33mm Trigger Pro- loved them.
Then 700x35mm Schwable G-One, and 700X36mm Donelley MSO
Then 700x37mm WTB Riddler
Then 700x40mm Maxxis Rambler
Now riding 650bX2.1 Schwable Thunder Burt
In the Wings 700X2.0 Schwable Furious Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrett View Post
Once you go to 40mm, you will soon want more, IMO. I run a foundry flyover with 44mm rubber, and I love it....but I can’t wait for my next one that can accept 2.0+.
I prefer Steel/ti on dirt for durability and comfort. I’ve seen a salsa warbird seatstay snapped in half from a minor crash that could easily happen on dirt road ruts.
I would take a hard look at a BMC monster cross or bearclaw thunderhawk.