Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Of all the big climbs in Nor Cal I'd put Iowa Hill Road as my fav - I would call it under-rated. It is harder than just about any climb I've done in this area, but also incredibly beautiful, and very remote (no cars, no services). A black bear in the road is not uncommon. Start in Auburn and make a loop back via Foresthill. Or do an out and back on Iowa Hill road for a crazy 1.75 mile plunge. If you add and out and back to Robinson Flat once you hit the Forest hill road junction you'll end up with about 10K' of climbing and 100 miles. Don't try it with a standard crank unless you have some solid standing power.
Real high on the list! Spent some time near the climb when I was in junior high, long before I got into cycling. Supposedly incredibly scenic and lung-busting. Do you descend on Yankee Jim's via the dirt?
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 PM

And the most overrated horrific ride in the Bay Area is...

Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Hands down. Every time.

Take one of the most iconic monuments in the world, and toss in two diametrically opposed groups of knuckleheads: the tourists taking selfies and the Stravaheads, and you get sheer misery. Every time.

Hard to say which group is worse. But I'll go with the Stravaheads. The tourists are just clueless...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:14 PM

Paradise and Rocacorba

Underrated - Paradise climb up Mount Rainier from Packwood via Skate Creek. All the best of the PNW in one outing.

Overrated - Rocacorba in Girona. Girona is blessed with lots of great roads and climbs but the road up to Rocacorba is in need of major improvement and it the views on the way up aren't great. And descending on broken pavement is never a treat.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Underrated, probably unknown to most, Taiwan KOM - a race that is about 65 miles uphill nearly the entire time that has a mere 9700ft elevation gain with a brutal final 10km of steep twisty roads to the finish. Stunning scenery from the ocean to the gorge to the summit.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-16-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:27 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Underrated, probably unknown to most, Taiwan KOM - a race that is about 65 miles uphill nearly the entire time that has a mere 9700ft elevation gain with a brutal final 10km of steep twisty roads to the finish. Stunning scenery from the ocean to the gorge to the summit.
Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8W9InrsQic

Last edited by weisan; 12-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Overrated: Probably not very well known, but rode the "Cippo di Carpegna" near Rimini a few years ago. It's brutally steep, and really no scenery, as it's all in the trees. The descent down the backside was in terrible condition which didn't help after that climb. It has some history with the Giro and Pantani, but otherwise, it's just brutal.

http://thecolcollective.com/col-coll...po-di-carpegna

Underrated: Col d'Eze near Nice, is a great climb, it doesn't get much attention aside from Paris-Nice, but it's a good challenge with some amazing views of Monaco and Cote D'Azur toward the top.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Overrated: Probably not very well known, but rode the "Cippo di Carpegna" near Rimini a few years ago. It's brutally steep, and really no scenery, as it's all in the trees. The descent down the backside was in terrible condition which didn't help after that climb. It has some history with the Giro and Pantani, but otherwise, it's just brutal.

http://thecolcollective.com/col-coll...po-di-carpegna

Underrated: Col d'Eze near Nice, is a great climb, it doesn't get much attention aside from Paris-Nice, but it's a good challenge with some amazing views of Monaco and Cote D'Azur toward the top.
Col d'Eze looks like a beautiful ride. Thx for the heads up, because I have aspirations of doing a Maritime/Ligurian Alps cycling trip. On that list: Col de la Bonette from Saint Dalmage Les Salvage, Colle Fauniera and Monte Saccarello. Your climb (which I hadn't heard of) fits in perfectly...
Old 12-17-2018, 04:44 PM

Overrated? I say La Plagne considering it is hors categorie with some TdF history. The road is kinda boring, like engineers made everything as consistent as possible. And then you're in a huge parking lot.

All the skinny Velotel roads fully deserve the praise: l'Arpettaz, Sabot, etc

In The US I'd say a bunch of the 101 coast.. scary freeway-type multi-lane climbs and BS too near logging trucks.

All the California hills including Quimby have been incredible and
have also lived up to the hype completely.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
you're biased

haha, jk this is on my bucket list for life. the east coast of taiwan is absolutely breathtaking.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
you're biased

haha, jk this is on my bucket list for life. the east coast of taiwan is absolutely breathtaking.
True, certainly has a soft spot after the experiences there!

Now I’m stuck with the 28 mile climb up Mt. Lemmon or closer to me 7 or so miles in Phoenix south mtn. park to the towers. Both are easy compared to the Taiwan kom..
Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
In that region, almost every climb is brutal