Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
Great stuff so far. Thanks everyone!

Right off the bat I see that I've been overlooking flexibility my approach, so I can start working that in, but it sounds like there's some simple stuff that I can pick up to help me out. That's just what I was looking for.

I don't have the budget right now to get a smart trainer, but I've got a regular trainer and an HRM and have been getting by with that for the last year...
One more note on flexibility: you'll want to avoid static stretching (taking a muscle to the point of tension and holding it) prior to your regimen/workout. Numerous studies have shown that it inhibits performance.

Instead, opt for a "dynamic movement" that correlates to or mimics your regimen. Such as standing knee-ups, for example...
Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I like how you train.
Indeed. Impeccable taste.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:49 PM

You can get nice dumbbells (knurled handles + rubber coated ends) for barely more than $1/lb. Kettlebells are like $1.20/lb or something.

Compared to bike components that is incredibly reasonable so no reason not to have some. Way cheaper than a smart trainer & bike video games if you're already got a regular trainer.

Sometimes you need to weight train to undo the damage cycling does to your body..

For winter Cardio... X/C Skiing is the best IMO, that can destroy you and feels like a big crossover with biking for me. Particularly skate style is intense, really fun too. Snowshoeing is way low intensity unless you're running, at which point you could just run if you don't have that much snow? Snowshoeing is low impact and a ton of fun though. Ice skating isn't bad either for low intensity if you've got good access. Snowshoeing wins for easiest learning curve.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for the off-season, i find rowing about as excellent of a full body/core/cardio workout as you can get
+1 on the rowing machine (there have been some threads on that recently)

I also do several core-type things, and a few kettlebell exercises, the Turkish Get-Up being my favorite of those.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

AFAIK you can always do the Crossfit WOD without having to go to the crossfit gym

M
Old 12-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Yeah, maybe it is light. I really have no idea...

In 20 mins I'm doing 4 minutes of various planks, 2 sets of 40 pushups, and 5 minutes of lunges with a shoulder press with two 10lb barbells.

How much more time should I be spending on core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
i've heard good things about show-shoeing that xfers directly to cycling.

to me, 20 minutes seems really-really light. as in too light to get any meaningful benefit. of course it depends on your goals.

but 20 minutes is barely enough to register any sort of aerobic workout. likewise 20 minutes isnt enough time for any meaningful strenght/core work.

hell, it takes me 20 minutes just for my stretching to get ready for my offseason gym workout. my total gym time including warm-up and stretching is 90-120 minutes per workout.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
Yeah, maybe it is light. I really have no idea...

In 20 mins I'm doing 4 minutes of various planks, 2 sets of 40 pushups, and 5 minutes of lunges with a shoulder press with two 10lb barbells.

How much more time should I be spending on core?
I don't know, that sounds like a decent amount of work for 20 minutes. If you have time to do so, maybe add sets to each of your exercises as you feel comfortable with it.

I'm not a personal trainer, but 20 minutes of good focused exercise with proper form sounds better than sitting on your butt, and also better than an hour of sloppy crap where you end up either hurting yourself because of bad form or spend 50% of the time resting. (Not implying that everyone spending 2 hours in the gym is doing that, BTW. But some are.)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM

I used the book, Weight Training for Cyclists, by Eric schmitz and Ken Doyle, as a guide. Their program is echoed in several other cycling training books I have.

I too, have no interest in joining a gym, nor did I want to invest in a lot of weight lifting equipment.

The result is a pair of adjustable dumbells, 50lbs. each max., a 3x6' scrap of carpet, and an 18" step stool.

My leg work consists of lunges using the dumbbells, and single leg squats using the dumbbells while standing on the top of the step stool. I used to think if you weren't doing heavy leg work such as squats and leg presses, you weren't doing anything of value. I don't think that anymore. You CAN devise an effective program with just the equipment above.

I also use the step stool for jumping squats, jumping up onto the top step, jumping down, and repeating. While doing single arm rows with the dumbbell, I use the step stool as a support for my free arm.

My workout, including stretches for warmup, lasts 45 minutes.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Match this, and I can guarantee that you'll be the toughest guy on every single one of your group rides:

https://youtu.be/MQbidQmR14w
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM

If you do want to invest some money, search your local CL for Bowflex and similar "laundry racks". Lots of people buy these relatively expensive home fitness devices, use them twice and then stop. They eventually collect laundry or other detritus.

I bought a Bowflex Extreme 2 years ago for about a fourth of retail. Seller was about an hour away. I was a bit vague on when I could pick it up, so the seller offered to deliver and set up the thing at no extra charge. I guess his wife was hovering in the background, yelling "just get that thing out of here!"

It's a useful device, providing many different options for working out.

But...as others have said, you can get a pretty comprehensive workout with not much more than your body weight...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy