Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Bike for Florida (West Coast)

I'm moving to the Ft. Myers area for the winter, and possibly future winters, and I wondered what people generally ride in Florida.

I have an old Fuji Series V touring bike (steel) that I could take down to use as a commuter/errand bike, which I think would be a lot of my miles. I'm a little worried about it rusting though.

I could also take my road bike (carbon), but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable riding on the streets. I have an impression that there are a lot of traffic accidents in Florida.

I've been going back and forth about buying a commuting bike, aluminum or carbon frame, maybe even a belt drive, given the age of my Fuji and the salt water and air. Something lighter with just a rear rack and no fenders.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jon

Last edited by VT Skier; 12-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Titanium won't have issues with salt, corrosion, etc. Always go ti

Street riding is just up to your confidence, awareness and defensive biking. Take the lane. Especially once you know your routes between the areas you go most often you'll be fine.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Ft Myers area has lots of paved bike paths as well

There were a couple of decent shops and clubs around there the last time I was down there

I know we have a couple of members who are snowbirds in that area

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I'm moving to the Ft. Myers area for the winter, and possibly future winters, and I wondered what people generally ride in Florida.

I have an old Fuji Series V touring bike (steel) that I could take down to use as a commuter/errand bike, which I think would be a lot of my miles. I'm a little worried about it rusting though.

I could also take my road bike (carbon), but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable riding on the streets. I have an impression that there are a lot of traffic accidents in Florida.

I've been going back and forth about buying a commuting bike, aluminum or carbon frame, maybe even a belt drive, given the age of my Fuji and the salt water and air. Something lighter with just a rear rack and no fenders.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jon

First off it’s flat! So no hills at all, but head winds are tough.
Second is the numbers say more car problems, but we ride all year round to so the #s are a bit off.
There are some big gear mashers down here, I mean some really fast guys, but they are use to pedaling in the flats.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM

I live about 200 miles NE of there, so don't really know the cycling scene there.

But do know.....On club rides, you will be surprised at how fast the packs go, and folks who are used to struggling up and down hills, sometimes struggle to hold on to the backs of these packs. You never get to stop pedaling, and you never get a break in effort. If you get dropped, you won't see them again. Am also sure there are clubs of cyclists that ride less seriously, and look after each other.

Believe they do their "hill climbing" on the bridges that cross various waterways. Example....Ft Myers over to Sanibel island.

For casual riding, about any bike will do. I also enjoy casual riding on Sanibel island. I wouldn't expect any rust or corrosion problems from a bike if kept inside a garage or apartment.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Florida

I live and obviously ride in Florida. I have ridden Aluminum, Steel and Carbon Bikes in these rides. Obviously as stated, some really fast folks, but they can ride fast on just about anything, Last year, a young lady road in the A Group on a Mountain Bike, I swear she had like a 34 Tooth Chainring, but I am sure I am wrong because she had no problem keeping up with a 23/24mph pace.

I think in Florida you tend to ride longer distances because of the lack of hills (although the Clermont area is kinda hilly) so ride for comfort, and if you are not in shape, get ready to ride home ALONE.

Best

Ray
Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM

I think most people in that area of Florida ride golf carts.

PS. take the Fuji. Having it rust out is a great excuse to, well, you know.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I think most people in that area of Florida ride golf carts.

PS. take the Fuji. Having it rust out is a great excuse to, well, you know.
I would share that rust is not the problem you think. I frame save my bikes and ride the crap out of them. If you stay after your gear its ok, even in FL.

You are right about the golf carts, everyone rides them. A lot of retirement communities they ride right on the road.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 PM

You'll want a carbon bike with disc brakes, because of the extensive downhill and canyon carving opportunities.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Picshooter

How close you are staying to salt water will make a huge difference.
Part of my former career was watching the effects of saltwater / exposure on different materials.
I live a few miles inland and it's not a big deal to me. I would have a different opinion if I lived on the beach or close to the Gulf.
I would say bring the Fuji for the first visit. If the Fuji works out, great, if not Craigslist or Florida Bicycle Swap on FaceBook are good places to shop.
As fas as accidents I will not defend Florida drivers, BUT, just want to add most of them are from somewhere else.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

The local club is the Caloosa Riders

The gave a regular ride calendar with weekly, monthly, and annual events and lots of local resources. They usually have multiple levels in their group rides do you can see where you fit in.

They were good folks when I ride with them

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I'll probably take the Fuji, see how it works down there. It's comfortable, has a rear rack, so almost perfect other than the rust, and age. And weight.

The Florida bike swap looks great, but it's hard to find someone my size (small) who might have a bike I'd like. I was considering the Cannonade Bad Boy 1, but I think I'll wait a bit.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I ride in Florida because it's so different. The season is Dec-Feb and there are no hills, so the rides are super fast. It's always an odd mix of riders, a few pro riders in the area for winter training, locals looking for a challenge, new guys testing their legs... A few of the guys on the Naples Cyclery team will look after new riders on their rides - it's really impressive. I had Andy looking after me the first time I did their "A" ride. At one point I was sitting in, going close to 30MPH when Andy pulls up next to me and asks how I'm doing. Apparently he doesn't need to draft at that speed...
Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 PM

I live in the Clearwater area on the Intercoastal and have both steel and carbon bikes. Being close to the water, I do keep an eye on the steel ones a little more. The carbon one is a little more maintenance free and is the choice of most riders here, probably for performance reasons more than corrosion resistance. That said, I rode with a group years ago and one of they guys had a Cannondale corrode at the HT weld joint, it was replaced, but still concerning and most likely a fluke...

Steel is ok, as long as you keep it clean and out of the moisture.