Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 05:43 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
In all the years I've had a 1Up rack, it's never come loose. It takes a lot of force to overcome the velcro strap as well. In that vein, a backup safety chain is unnecessary. I'd consider a lock as an anti theft device, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Can't believe some on here seriously think a 1UP is going to fall off the rear of your vehicle after bolt is snugged up. Nonsense. And even if you put the rack on without snugging up the security bolt, the Velcro strap would hold it in place. The tongue of the rack slides in a good way, and the strap will hold it in place....if necessary. A long shoe string would work well also, or any light rope. The rack doesn't want to come out on it's own.
since I do not have one nor have I installed one I have no idea how much friction and wedge snugness the connection makes. sounds like you both consider it a non-issue.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:50 PM

use a lock instead of the carabiner

Then you have both a theft deterrent and a safety chain. Probably less than 10 bucks to address most objections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
On the verge of buying the rack and was searching the web for whatever info available. Came across this tube re: homemade gizmo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzZo8seZaQ

Saw another photo of something similar but chain was attached to rack side bolt rather than drilling the hole.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
since I do not have one nor have I installed one I have no idea how much friction and wedge snugness the connection makes. sounds like you both consider it a non-issue.
There’s an expression that comes to mind: “make it idiot-proof and they make a bigger idiot.”
Old 12-16-2018, 08:09 PM

They are prone to wobble loose. MTBR has a cars and racks forum - you can get a lifetime of info. My .02 - it’s cool looking but not that light. I have an old T2 and for the price it’s been good to me, it’s bulky and doesn’t fit fat bikes, but I can’t see dropping 900$ on a 4 bike 1UP - the newer 1Up copycat versions are looking good.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
There's probably more of me hating on the 1up in other "what bike rack should I get?" threads BUT

- you need two hands to operate the ratcheting arms, opening it at least
- locking mechanisms (rack to hitch, bike to rack) aren't really integrated into the rack, it's just a threaded pin with a lock at the end
- slides into hitch, fastens using a wedge "nut". Mine hasn't had issues loosening up but a pin going through rack AND hitch provides more peace of mind for me.

I guess that's all I can really think of so I suppose it's not as bad as I make it out to be. The only other tray rack I've owned was a thule t2.
It's a fair assessment. I've owned the 1up for about 6 years. Three years ago, expanded it to 4 bikes, even bought the tray that will allow transport of my Big Dummy. Definitely not a perfect design, but the build quality and customer service are top notch. Pricey, but in my opinion, the best rack out there.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
That's exactly what I personally consider it - a non-issue. No more so than riding a bike with no lawyer tabs and quick-release skewers that are relying on that clamping force to keep your wheel in place. Used properly, not an issue at all.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 PM

1up

I have had a 1UP two bike rack for over two years now.

2" receiver on my Tacoma mated to the 2" rack leaves a very solid system. I've never used anything additional to secure it to the truck.

The rack has been used on many water-rutted, pothole filled dirt roads with approximately 70 lbs of bikes on the back without any indication of coming loose. When shuttling we don't always drive responsibly.

If leaving for extended periods I usually throw a cable lock through the hitch but there is space for a padlock to obstruct the safety allen-bolt head.

I love this rack, overbuilt and slightly over priced but it will be the last bike rack I buy. 1UP offers every piece as a replacement part which I appreciate. Also a big fan of how it fits 26-29" wheels (I've tried with tires up to 3") without adjustment.