Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 06:57 PM

Belt Drive for All: VeerCycle Belt Drive System That Doesn't Require A Special Frame

Here's a link to a CyclingIndstry.News article about them.

Here is their website.

Basically, the belt comes split open, and once installed on the bike is pinned together over a large portion of its length. This removes the requirement of a specially designed frame being required. It is not designed to be opened and closed repeatedly. So, ride until it's worn out (a billion miles from now) and then replace.

They're super responsive; I messaged back and forth with them a couple of times. They have considerably more options than listed on their website right now; they have "chainrings" for 104 bcd (mtb) and 130 bcd. They have rear cogs for 9spline shimano freehub bodies and are testing an english threaded fixed cog as well as a Rohloff cog. Testing a few other "chainring" options currently as well

I personally love Belt Drive bikes, and can't wait to get my hands on this. Will be converting my Raleigh Macaframa to this system once I find a 130 bcd crankset I dig - I checked and my Rotor Track cranksets don't have a spider that is removable and replaceable with a Rotor 130 spider.

on a related note....anybody got any 130bcd cranksets they don't want? I'll make a deal on some rotors also...
Old 03-23-2018, 05:12 AM

Oh man. My cargo bike with Bosch mid drive needs a belt drive so badly. I emailed them.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:22 AM
Administrator

they should start making engine timing belts like this so i dont have to take half the engine compartment apart to replace one!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 AM

Neat, but $349 = 10 conventional chain drive trains, at least. If it lasts 2x the normal chain, I’m not sure the longevity value prop is there yet. Maybe I’m missing what the awesomeness factor is for running a belt drive?..
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Belt Drive for All: VeerCycle Belt Drive System That Doesn't Require A Special Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Neat, but $349 = 10 conventional chain drive trains, at least. If it lasts 2x the normal chain, I’m not sure the longevity value prop is there yet. Maybe I’m missing what the awesomeness factor is for running a belt drive?..

Wouldn't say it's ten conventional chain drive trains. Perhaps ten chains, yes...but not ten of equivalent parts. You're not going to buy ten chains, cogs, chainrings, and singlespeed tensioners at that price.

A gates belt is normally about $85-95 or so by itself. About three chains, if you're buying ultegra-ish stuff. Less if you're buying fancy fancy stuff.

They're quieter, require less maintenance, generally parts do last quite a bit longer (sometimes multiple tens of thousands of miles on the belts) so you may get back savings, but also they're different and interesting. Why buy >90% of the stuff we see on the forum?

Edit: looks like a replacement belt for this system is about $65. Way less than 10x the price of a chain!

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 03-23-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM

I'm looking to use this in sandy/salty/wet New England daily without having to clean my chain every single ride. If this is works I'll be stoked.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Nice. I hope it works. I'd love to stick this on an old frame for tooling around.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Yay

I am with Walrus on this
big belt fan here
for SO many reasons
Old 03-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Do we know if these Veer belts are compatible with the Gates pulleys?
Old 03-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Do we know if these Veer belts are compatible with the Gates pulleys?
I'm guessing not, since the Gates belts have an 11mm tooth pitch and the Veer belts have 8mm pitch.

Also, for those excited about using the Veer system to retrofit, keep in mind Gates' comments on frame stiffness: "If the rear triangle of a frame is too flexible, it is possible that frame deflection can result in tooth jumping, accelerated wear, drivetrain noise, or in extreme cases, belt derailment. Excessively high rear triangle stiffness can result in an uncomfortable ride."

All that said, I have loved the belt drive bikes I've had, and will definitely consider a Veer retrofit myself.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Use the Gates system as the timing belt on our tandems. Love how they are quiet, light, and maintenance free.

This gives much more flexibility and opens up more/new applications. I like it.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:00 PM

Anyone know how these systems perform in the wet?.. What are the losses like due to friction / hysteresis?

(My limited understanding was that carbon reinforced composites can degrade faster in a humid environment, unless very well sealed off. (To anticipate one possible counterexample, most CFC boat hulls are coated pretty well, plus they’re not in use for that long, I think.) These belts seem rather exposed.)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM

wet muddy no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Anyone know how these systems perform in the wet?.. What are the losses like due to friction / hysteresis?

(My limited understanding was that carbon reinforced composites can degrade faster in a humid environment, unless very well sealed off. (To anticipate one possible counterexample, most CFC boat hulls are coated pretty well, plus they’re not in use for that long, I think.) These belts seem rather exposed.)
100 miles so far in rain and mud
NO isssues with the belt
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 PM

I emailed Veer and they said they’re working on Bosch cogs which I need for my cargo bike. Also wondering if I should put a belt on the timing side of my Paketa tandem.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Well, that settles it, my Yeti ARC-X isn’t going anywhere.

The bike is keeping it’s Campagnolo setup for now, but I’ve debating selling my yeti and singular and replacing them with a single disc bike with multiple (700c/650b) wheelsets/tires. I still may consider a disc frame, but now I can make an excuse to keep the yeti around as a practical belt-drive commuter.