Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Shoegazer

I'll contribute to the cause. I was a BoB member and used to own a custom All-Rounder which was a beautiful bike. I started losing interest in Rivendell about the time they started building with multiple top-tubes. I had always hoped Grant would make an updated version of the MB-0|1 with a shorter geometry and all of Rivendell's lovely detailing. Man, I think those would have sold very well.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM

^ nice bike, imagine if it was modernized with 29” wheels and disc brakes! Heck I might even want to buy something like that...
Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM

I'm always curious why Riv didn't make a limited edition version of the XO-1...

Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 PM

I am surprised handsome is not making them anymore. A few years ago they never seemed to be in-stock but maybe the nostalgia thing ran its course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
I'm always curious why Riv didn't make a limited edition version of the XO-1...

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Yes, Grant designed those bikes. I definitely understand your points, and I agree - to an extent. I think that over his career, Grant has tried to make the bikes that HE wanted to ride. As his life and riding changed, so did the bikes. The ethos of Riv is about a lot more than pure functionality. It's more about having a bike that fits your lifestyle the way a tailored suit fits your body. Sure, anyone can go to the department store and buy a fine suit for 1/10th the cost of custom, and you can go to the bar in flip-flops on any old bike. But for a select group of people, that isn't good enough. And that's who Riv is (was?) for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I believe it was grant Petersen that came up with the Bridgestone rb1 and rb2, very successful frames for amateur racing that were competitive with more expensive European frames. They were very popular and are still sought after. Also, wasn’t it him that came up with the mb1? A lot of people held those in high regard. And remember bridgestones lineup of touring bikes?

And then... he went and started making very expensive bikes geared towards non-enthusiast type riders. I guess it must have worked for him for a while, but I really can’t understand why would would alienate the exact kind of people that need and want expensive high quality frames. The stuff he talks about doing on his bikes (ride to the park in flip flops with your beer) can just as well be done on a $50 craigslist nishiki.

I have a lot of respect for grant and what he has accomplished but I am of the opinion that this is the end result of the path he chose to take, and it’s hard to feel sympathetic enough to give him $10 when they don’t sell a single frame I have any interest in.

Maybe if he started making bikes for CYCLISTS then cyclists would purchase them.

Of course I’m generalizing and there are exceptions to what I’ve said I’m sure, but that’s just how I see it from where I’m sitting.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM

shop riv for the curated goods and clothing. their frames, eh. but lots of neat things you won't find elsewhere. if you miss the old riv like i do, just buy a t shirt or a cap or some bottles. can always use another t shirt. spent hours and hours reading grants writing on the old site. they did/do have a wonderful unique brand that is responsible for a lot happening now in cycling whether you realize it or not.

Last edited by cinema; 02-23-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM

Here's an interesting example of how Riv could have gone in a direction that is both traditional and modern, appealing to both hipsters and traditionalists. A lugged bike with disk brakes, and at a reasonable price. And no double top-tube and kickstand.

https://crustbikes.com/products/the-romanceur-presale/
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 PM

I slid them $10. I have a couple of the MUSA shorts (back when they we like $45) and Riv turned me on to Musgo Real shave cream which I still use. So, I owe them one, hope they keep alive.
Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 PM

They were the only place I could think of to get nitto struts without buying the whole rack or paying an arm and a leg.

Rode out to Walnut Creek, they sold me struts and gave me a handful for free.

I definitely owe them something, hopefully they pull through.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:43 PM

The people there are just so rad. Rebuilt a pedal for me no cost, offered me popsicles on a hot day, coffee on a cold. No pressure sales. Test ride bikes for as long as you want.

Yes, I'll help out.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
I'll contribute to the cause. I was a BoB member and used to own a custom All-Rounder which was a beautiful bike. I started losing interest in Rivendell about the time they started building with multiple top-tubes. I had always hoped Grant would make an updated version of the MB-0|1 with a shorter geometry and all of Rivendell's lovely detailing. Man, I think those would have sold very well.

Really beautiful bicycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
They were the only place I could think of to get nitto struts without buying the whole rack or paying an arm and a leg.

Rode out to Walnut Creek, they sold me struts and gave me a handful for free.

I definitely owe them something, hopefully they pull through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
The people there are just so rad. Rebuilt a pedal for me no cost, offered me popsicles on a hot day, coffee on a cold. No pressure sales. Test ride bikes for as long as you want.

Yes, I'll help out.
I have never been up there, but those are two very nice stories.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 PM

Credit Grant for a lot of positive contributions to cycling, but I think his current frame/bike line up is a mess. Who pays $2700 for a production steel frame or $3500 for a Riv "custom?"
His vision isn't competitive in the face of too many excellent options.

And the Crust looks really nice.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Credit Grant for a lot of positive contributions to cycling, but I think his current frame/bike line up is a mess. Who pays $2700 for a production steel frame or $3500 for a Riv "custom?"
His vision isn't competitive in the face of too many excellent options.

And the Crust looks really nice.
Grant designs some unusual frames. No kidding, right? The people who build his designs are pretty darn good, right? So who should get underpaid so the prices of his designs can be sold for less?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 PM

There are several US builders who will make a custom frame for <$3k. I just don't see the appeal of a $2700 production frame from across the Pacific. Not knocking those frames, but I don't see how they'll keep GP and Co afloat.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
There are several US builders who will make a custom frame for <$3k. I just don't see the appeal of a $2700 production frame from across the Pacific. Not knocking those frames, but I don't see how they'll keep GP and Co afloat.
I wonder if it costs as much or more to build bikes in Japan than the USA today.

Ryan