Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 PM

They just increased the price of their top tier frames by $200 too. Last I heard the wait time was approx 7 months as well. I gather both was due to Waterford's lead time and price increases.

I honestly don't see the appeal of the Frank Jones frames either. I understand the need to diversify their offerings but they don't resonate with me.

But I'm going to chip in because I know there's a Riv custom in my distant future.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
extremely tall

Frame-wise, I think things have gotten very cluttered and off-track since the days of Atlantis and Rambouillet, both of which were fantastically well-designed, easy to understand, and pretty stylish, in their way, to boot.

Now it seems like there are a bunch of models that are harder to differentiate from each other, let alone other options in the marketplace.

I have a lot of respect for Grant/Riv but the Rivendell brand has become harder for me to understand & embrace in recent years.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 PM

Long time RB-1 owner here, I'd better get my act together and help out...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Grant is a good guy. I went to middle school an high school with Grant. Wish him success.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 PM

they went off the rails with the clementine. like seriously, what the heck!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 PM

bummer. their shop was in walking distance from my office. In fact it was behind the pho restaurant i use to eat lunch every day when I was in the office. once in a while I would go in there. bummer.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Frame-wise, I think things have gotten very cluttered and off-track since the days of Atlantis and Rambouillet, both of which were fantastically well-designed, easy to understand, and pretty stylish, in their way, to boot.

Now it seems like there are a bunch of models that are harder to differentiate from each other, let alone other options in the marketplace.

I have a lot of respect for Grant/Riv but the Rivendell brand has become harder for me to understand & embrace in recent years.
I have a Romulus and have ridden many memorable miles on it. I bought it for $1,400 new, complete except saddle and pedals.

I too wish Grant had stayed with the Rambouillet and Atlantis. I really admire what he's accomplished over the years with Bridgestone and Rivendell, but at some point he lost his way.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Might be time to get a new set of tires for my Cross Check. I could probably use a new saddlebag as well.

Ben
Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Been a fan since 1998 and my 2001 custom Rivendell Long Low is still my favorite ride after going through more than a dozen high class bikes.

The positive attitude Rivendell adds to the activity of cycling is invaluable. Many people find it weird but mostly because it is uncool and normal in the sense that it is practical and totally un-racey. A lot like a pair of Dad or Mum jeans.

His early Rivendell frame designs with pretty lugs and Joe Bell paint got a lot of attention and really helped bring some attention back to this segment of the industry.

Grant has done A LOT to improve the lives of many people through his company. He deserves whatever help you can afford.

Bought a few credits to help. Hope they make it.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 PM

Also put in for 20. My Atlantis has carried my carcus around admirably these last few years. And an xo1 would be awesome.

Agree though, I can't really figure out their new stuff.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 AM

Grant seemed to have mellowed a little over the years in his opinions on things like clipless pedals, seersucker, lycra, downtube shifters, etc., etc. I still found the folksy, over the top anti-technical, borderline dumbed down writing style of the copy on their site to be mildly annoying. But on the other hand I have two of his books and enjoyed them. Bought some cool stuff over the years, when I was just getting into touring, distance riding, and commuting-MUSA shorts and knickers, summer sleeping bag, a Mark's bar (that one is an abomination). Before Compass tires there was the Roly Poly. Agree he has been a huge and positive influence on the market. I have like four sets of Noodles. To jtakeda's comment-Talk about kooky- why the backward bend? Why the downward bend? But they are so damn comfortable!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Torn on my feelings about this...

Every year or two Rivendell does the same thing. They send out a heartfelt email claiming cash flow woes, "buy something now," we treat our employees really well, etc. It gets old.

They even tried to scare up cash last year by selling $6000 credits for $5000, with the caveat to not use the credit right away because that would be beside the point.

My belief is if you want to support them, buy something, before it's gone forever. I'd buy a Roadini for $900. Why would you buy credits in a company that (by their own admission) is on the brink.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM

No schadenfreude on my end, but i can't help but think of my experience here.

Hope it all works out for them.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM

I put in for $20 too. Ive easily enjoyed that much entertainment and information from them over the years. It's kinda like NPR. I got the guilty feeling that I absorbed their resources without contributing enough.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM

I wish them well. Personally, I have always found them to be whacky and sometimes misguided. I think the market has spoken and efforts such as this just prolong the inevitable.