Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM

It’s easier to fret over the bike than to train your body to properly use the bike. I think a lot of riders find out that once they’re in shape and KNOW EXACTLY where they like everything fit wise, it’s quite easy to find an excellent bicycle, and at that point it’s just down to what appeals to you for whatever reason. People that don’t properly acclimate to the bike / don’t ride enough probably don’t really know what this they’re chasing and these are the people that constantly buy and sell high end racing bikes and fret over half a degree there or a little bit of clearance there.

In my experience the best riders I know tend to just buy bikes they know are the right size and ride the crap out of the same one for several ears then - with little nostalgia, sell it on Craigslist and get something new. Bike snobbing is much easier than putting in hours on the saddle.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 PM
ZhugeLiang

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
there are only one or two custom builders who i will jump on immediately if any of their bikes in my size ever surface on the used market.

i'm done looking
Old 03-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It’s easier to fret over the bike than to train your body to properly use the bike. I think a lot of riders find out that once they’re in shape and KNOW EXACTLY where they like everything fit wise, it’s quite easy to find an excellent bicycle, and at that point it’s just down to what appeals to you for whatever reason. People that don’t properly acclimate to the bike / don’t ride enough probably don’t really know what this they’re chasing and these are the people that constantly buy and sell high end racing bikes and fret over half a degree there or a little bit of clearance there.

In my experience the best riders I know tend to just buy bikes they know are the right size and ride the crap out of the same one for several ears then - with little nostalgia, sell it on Craigslist and get something new. Bike snobbing is much easier than putting in hours on the saddle.
Well, it's not an either/or. One can be a bike snob AND ride the heck out of their bikes. I'm at 1200mi and 62K ft of climbing for 2018 -- despite typical Portland winter weather and a significant amount of business travel*.

I could easily have kept the 2016 Tarmac Expert I went into 2017 with and had a fun year riding bikes, staying in good riding shape, etc. But I would have missed out on a lot of hobby-fun. Who knows what sort of life-happiness may have come out of an alternative use of that time - maybe more, maybe less - who knows?

* doesn't make me special, just sayin'
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM

For me its a FireFly. That's my dream bike.

A Ti roadie with rim(gasp)brakes and mechanical shifting. It'd have a SR/Record group on it with ENVE clincher 3.4's. ENVE post/stem/tapered Fork and Classic (read 3T Rotundo) Belgie bars. Room for 28's, no big rubber needed.

It'd unequivocally have Ryun's Classic Hemi Orange paint job with White panels but the rear stays would be bare ti; 3/4 style.

The caveat would be two things:
a) I'd be in great shape and be able to apply fitness to the pedals in anger on demand.
b) I'd live someplace sunny where it doesn't rain all the time and I could enjoy it more than the summer months.

If I ever see one in my size in the classifieds I'll jump on it, but Nick will probably beat me to it...

Sigh....
Old 03-21-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:

what i've discovered after buying a bunch of bikes is that, for me, there is no dream bike.

But i'm done looking
Like you, I had come to the realization that I was done looking and I was generally satisfied with the multiple bikes that I own.

Then I went to NAHBS and saw this bike. Initially I was reluctant to talk to Chris Bishop, but my wife convinced me to do so. Long story short, after a pleasant chat, we met with Chris about a week after show to make sure the fit was right. As you might surmise, we made the deal and right now I am waiting patiently for some PRO bars that are on backorder.

Looks like I will be selling my other bikes to make room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bishop.jpg (128.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Well, it's not an either/or. One can be a bike snob AND ride the heck out of their bikes. I'm at 1200mi and 62K ft of climbing for 2018 -- despite typical Portland winter weather and a significant amount of business travel*.

I could easily have kept the 2016 Tarmac Expert I went into 2017 with and had a fun year riding bikes, staying in good riding shape, etc. But I would have missed out on a lot of hobby-fun. Who knows what sort of life-happiness may have come out of an alternative use of that time - maybe more, maybe less - who knows?

* doesn't make me special, just sayin'
You’re right, I’m sure there are people out there that are bike snobs/collectors and ride a lot, it’s just that I don’t know any of them in real life I guess.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
You’re right, I’m sure there are people out there that are bike snobs/collectors and ride a lot, it’s just that I don’t know any of them in real life I guess.
Neither do I. Most of the riders I run into around here are in the "ride whatever ya got and don't fuss about it" category...but the rare ones who recognize a Kirk or Hampsten also tend to be strong and serious riders themselves.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:37 AM

Your consistent ,thoughtful, well written posts are definitely one of the highlights of checking into Paceline!!

Quote:
i've thought about this a lot, and the concept of a "dream bike". I own an alarming number of bikes, and i now own bikes from almost every builder i admire or have wanted to try a bike from. there are only one or two custom builders who i will jump on immediately if any of their bikes in my size ever surface on the used market.

there is also a VERY limited number of bikes i would ever consider buying new. the used market is just too good right now, and the cost of new bicycles is crazy when compared to what you can get gently used. i'm short, but normally proportioned otherwise and fit on stock-ish bikes just fine.

i have completely shifted my focus, and there are a couple of other avenues that will demand any disposable income or "play money" i've got now, and bike purchases are behind me, for the most part.

what i've discovered after buying a bunch of bikes is that, for me, there is no dream bike. they are all just bikes, as long as they are reasonably well built and good fitting. even the best race bike is going to be a crappy gravel bike, and the niftiest gravel bike is going to be a mediocre road bike. what is ideal for the 2-hr fast group ride is not ideal for 8 hour leisurely century, etc etc etc.

i also think that for us amateurs, its a fools errand to totally sweat the details. i'm trying to focus much more on what i can do to improve myself over what i can do to improve my machines. when there is good fitness and form there, nothing else matters. thinking about slack seat tube angles, or bar drop or head tube length are all just distractors from riding. unless something is causing an injury - it's good enough.

the best riders i know, generally speaking have one or two bikes. cannondale or trek or something. they can still ride the wheels off of me. the bikes could fit them better, could have better wheels, could have better geometry or brakes or tire clearance, but none of that matters when their legs and lungs are stronger than mine.

so yea, i think there is nothing wrong with chasing a dream bike if that is what you find enjoyable. buying stuff, and trying new things is fun, nothing wrong with that, and no need to justify it. it is what it is. As long as we are not lying to ourselves into thinking that we need something more, we dont. But we are adults. we are allowed to make our own decisions and allowed to have fun. there is nothing wrong with enjoying ourselves.

But i'm done looking
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 AM

I think there is also an aesthetic component to the practical side of bike ownership and bike lust. Art is an important component for me and frames speak at the sculptural level. Just bought a used C60 because of sheer design beauty (imho). Will it be ridden? Sure. Will it be hung on a wall and drooled at? That too.

Thanks for a great thread.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:06 AM

Dream bikes don't exist. That is why they are called dream bikes.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:57 AM

I have owned a lot of bikes over the past 10 years. Dream bikes are great to lust after and own, but once in our possession are a reality.

It is easy to impulsively buy nice bikes if you have the expendable cash. I do it quite often and am now sitting on a mountain of bikes. Thank god I have a log cabin to stash the extras right now, but once the cabin sells I will have to find a new place for the extra stuff!

My buying habits ramp up over the winter months more so than any other time of year because of the deals and the boredom. There are lots of things that are worse to spend money on and a dream bike or 5 dream bikes are a better investment to me than booze, cigarettes and other vices I used to spend money on!

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 03-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Dream bikes don't exist. That is why they are called dream bikes.
I would agree except to say that 'the dream bike of today is like a bubble in a stream. If you find it, it's perfect until the next one comes along.' For many, it's a constant chasing of something that they can't catch until the next shiny object floats by...and for some, that stream flows pretty fast....

...IMO.

Last edited by OtayBW; 03-23-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
i've thought about this a lot, and the concept of a "dream bike". I own an alarming number of bikes, and i now own bikes from almost every builder i admire or have wanted to try a bike from. there are only one or two custom builders who i will jump on immediately if any of their bikes in my size ever surface on the used market.

there is also a VERY limited number of bikes i would ever consider buying new. the used market is just too good right now, and the cost of new bicycles is crazy when compared to what you can get gently used. i'm short, but normally proportioned otherwise and fit on stock-ish bikes just fine.

i have completely shifted my focus, and there are a couple of other avenues that will demand any disposable income or "play money" i've got now, and bike purchases are behind me, for the most part.

what i've discovered after buying a bunch of bikes is that, for me, there is no dream bike. they are all just bikes, as long as they are reasonably well built and good fitting. even the best race bike is going to be a crappy gravel bike, and the niftiest gravel bike is going to be a mediocre road bike. what is ideal for the 2-hr fast group ride is not ideal for 8 hour leisurely century, etc etc etc.

i also think that for us amateurs, its a fools errand to totally sweat the details. i'm trying to focus much more on what i can do to improve myself over what i can do to improve my machines. when there is good fitness and form there, nothing else matters. thinking about slack seat tube angles, or bar drop or head tube length are all just distractors from riding. unless something is causing an injury - it's good enough.

the best riders i know, generally speaking have one or two bikes. cannondale or trek or something. they can still ride the wheels off of me. the bikes could fit them better, could have better wheels, could have better geometry or brakes or tire clearance, but none of that matters when their legs and lungs are stronger than mine.

so yea, i think there is nothing wrong with chasing a dream bike if that is what you find enjoyable. buying stuff, and trying new things is fun, nothing wrong with that, and no need to justify it. it is what it is. As long as we are not lying to ourselves into thinking that we need something more, we dont. But we are adults. we are allowed to make our own decisions and allowed to have fun. there is nothing wrong with enjoying ourselves.

But i'm done looking
SO many good points here, well done angry...
Old 03-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Appropos podcast from The Paceline (RKP): http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/03/paceline-podcast-108/

It’s a podcast about bikes, so it’s no surprise that our hosts like to ride new bikes. And great bikes. And sometimes crazily expensive bikes, like the $15,300 Argonaut that Hottie had a chance to ride recently. In a world where we all joke about the correct number of bikes being N+1, Hottie wonders at what point a bike might be just too expensive.
There was a nice quote from the Argonaut gent that went something like: "Perfection is about the journey, not the destination.."

Anyway, food for thought.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I would agree except to say that 'the dream bike of today is like a bubble in a stream. If you find it, it's perfect until the next one comes along.' For many, it's a constant chasing of something that they can't catch until the next shiny object floats by...and for some, that stream flows pretty fast....

...IMO.
It's not the catching, or the number caught, that matters; it's the attitude and relationship to that catch - if there is anxiety and sense of "my life won't be complete unless I have a C60", then trouble arises and the hobby becomes an addiction - especially if other more important things in one's life are being neglected, funds diverted, debt taken on, etc.

But if the attitude is "oh hey cool, let's try this one out and have fun with it for a bit, and at the moment I think it'd be neat to get one of these other ones, but not a big deal if I don't", then really there is no harm/foul no matter how many are run through in how short of a period of time.

I try to stay firmly in the second camp, and check myself if I'm tipping into the first and taking things too seriously.

If I go home today and my garage has been broken into and all my bikes and gear are gone - it'll stink, but it won't be the end of the world. These are just inanimate objects. They will all eventually find the scrap heap, or land in the Sacramento river. In the meantime, we enjoy the art, we have our fun, and life goes on.