Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Such elegant solution! Never really a very organized person nor am I completely haywire, just somewhere in between. Wish I am more inclined to do that but I am not and don't really have to. This is not a braggin' "hey look at my bikes" session, in fact I hesitate to expose what I got...

anyhow, we are lucky that we have "enough space" currently with the "3rd" room in the garage, this would be IMPOSSIBLE in our old house.

I know what I'll be showing my wife when she gets home...

"See honey, compared to others, I actually have too FEW bikes.."
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Talking

Whoa!

There's gotta be a Bell V1 Pro helmet hidden in there somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I know what I'll be showing my wife when she gets home...

"See honey, compared to others, I actually have too FEW bikes.."

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-09-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Quote:
Trolley A. In hindsight, trolley b might roll smoother but it's twice as expensive.
Wow! I just noticed the price on those trolleys. Definitely not the least expensive option....

I may need to just go with Wei's exceptionally clean approach to bike storage.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-10-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I may need to just go with Wei's exceptionally clean approach to bike storage.

Texbike
texbike, I offer absolutely FREE lodging for all your bikes...you can visit them anytime you want, I will even give you your own access key.

WeiSanBikeStorageSolutions.Inc.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
texbike, I offer absolutely FREE lodging for all your bikes...you can visit them anytime you want, I will even give you your own access key.

Wei, you may actually be onto something there! Does it include free wheel-building?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

WeiSanOutOfSpouse'sSightBikeStorageSoulutios.Inc.
FIFY

You are now hereby nominated to 2017 Greatest Enabler of PL
Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
That Track-Rack was also my inspiration. Nice idea on the threaded rod. How did you heat the rod? - propane torch? Do you find the plastic hose lasting a long time? The plastic coating on the Park hooks doesn't last very long. I wrapped a piece of an inner tube over the hook, but that little piece of tube somehow always shifts out of place.
Yep, just a handheld propane torch & small bench anvil to heat & manipulate the rod. 5-gal bucket to cool them down.

My father-in-law helped with all of this, and showed up w/ the allthread & the clear plastic tubing to go over it. It's quite thick, and has proven to be very durable. I'll try to remember to take a pic & post it when I get home tonight.

We used the 4-wheel trolley's, but if I was doing it over again I'd use the 2-wheels ones. I find the 4-wheel ones sometimes ride up in the track when trying to move bikes side-to-side & bind a bit. I think this would be much less of a problem with the 2-wheel version (and probably wouldn't be an issue with the 4-wheel ones if there was more weight keeping the wheels planted in the track). That said, these trolleys were a donation to my project, so certainly cost-effective. I need to price out "full retail price" on my DIY version & see how it compares to a real TrackRack. I'm guessing it'll come in cheaper, but not hugely so.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
...we are lucky that we have "enough space" currently with the "3rd" room in the garage, this would be IMPOSSIBLE in our old house.
This is AWESOME! I love the visual expression of your love of bikes. And I think I'll frame it too.

"But sweetie, look at how bad it COULD be..."

WeiSanOutOfSpouse'sSightBikeStorageSoulutios.Inc. - where do I submit my credit card information?

Last edited by pncguy; 05-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Ex-Mr.President

I went hooks into studs/board that is screwed into studs. I like the sliding idea, but just some rubber coated hooks from menards and such a low cost I couldn't beat it. It was just too easy, hence the reason I went that direction.

here picture explains it better.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

I know we semi-joke about this but....my wife...oh bless her heart, she put up with me on the most part and it's not without challenge in the last 20 years of our marriage --- "He loves me, he loves his bikes, no...he loves me more, wait, he loves his bikes even more...nah, that can't be, he unequivocally loves me more, period..." and I try to keep her thoughts fixated on the last part of the sentence, which is true, our anniversary coming up tomorrow.

Thankfully the 20-year-old refrigerator that we kept outside in the garage is placed strategically where most of the view into the "bike room" is blocked... whew....I dread the day when my platoon sergeant calls for an impromptu barrack inspection.

Tex pal and the others...I would love to help you out with an "outside-mistress-safe-harbor" but I am seriously running out of space here myself. When was the last eagle that you saw me land? I even have to recuse myself from the Yamaguchi that came up recently. That's how bad it has gotten. But I will always have an extra spot reserved for a Peg somewhere. I managed to move a bike into the bedroom last December under the pretense of "Oh honey, I need to check out this ZWIFT thingy that everyone is talking about, if you don't mind...."
Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
Yep, just a handheld propane torch & small bench anvil to heat & manipulate the rod. 5-gal bucket to cool them down.

My father-in-law helped with all of this, and showed up w/ the allthread & the clear plastic tubing to go over it. It's quite thick, and has proven to be very durable. I'll try to remember to take a pic & post it when I get home tonight.

We used the 4-wheel trolley's, but if I was doing it over again I'd use the 2-wheels ones. I find the 4-wheel ones sometimes ride up in the track when trying to move bikes side-to-side & bind a bit. I think this would be much less of a problem with the 2-wheel version (and probably wouldn't be an issue with the 4-wheel ones if there was more weight keeping the wheels planted in the track). That said, these trolleys were a donation to my project, so certainly cost-effective. I need to price out "full retail price" on my DIY version & see how it compares to a real TrackRack. I'm guessing it'll come in cheaper, but not hugely so.
Incredibly awful iPhone5 photo, but hopefully you get the general picture. 15 hooks over a 10' span.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rack-Med.JPG (101.8 KB, 585 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Incredibly awful iPhone5 photo, but hopefully you get the general picture. 15 hooks over a 10' span.
Looks like a nice professional job. I will need to steal that idea on the plastic tubing. I used the two-wheel trolleys and sometimes they also get stuck a little when sliding a bike. I did price out my DIY with the Track Rack and do recall the DIY being cheaper.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I went hooks into studs/board that is screwed into studs. I like the sliding idea, but just some rubber coated hooks from menards and such a low cost I couldn't beat it. It was just too easy, hence the reason I went that direction.

here picture explains it better.

This approach is what I have on two walls now. However, I need to remove the bikes from one of those walls to allow access to a side door in our garage. So, that leaves one 16 ft long stretch to hang bikes along and I need to maximize that space. The sliding bike hook concept seems to address that requirement.

Quote:

Thanks. That's really cool. However, the cost of the trolleys will probably have me sticking with the conduit/conduit hanger/Park threaded bike hook approach. I should be able to piece a complete system together for less than $100.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-11-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Here's my setup. The system includes a unistrut channel, wheeled trolley from McMaster, and machine threaded Park hooks. There are also a few mounting brackets (not shown) that attach the unistrut channel to the joists. It works quite well. I did have to enlarge the hole on the trolly a little bit so that the threaded hook could be inserted.
Weaponsgrade,

Thanks for sharing this and the item list. In the process of building one myself and wondering how you enlarged the hole in the trolley to fit the threaded hook.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Weaponsgrade,

Thanks for sharing this and the item list. In the process of building one myself and wondering how you enlarged the hole in the trolley to fit the threaded hook.

Thanks
My threaded bike hooks just arrived from Competitive Cyclist yesterday. It looks like I'm going to need to drill out the hole in the conduit hanger just a bit for the hooks to fit. I'm going to slap the conduit hanger in the vise and do a quick hit with the appropriate-sized drill bit. I would imagine that the same could be done with the trolleys.

Texbike

Tags
bike storage