Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM

OT: South Carolina (Jon Stewart vid)

Anyone know why the OT: South Carolina (Jon Stewart vid) thread was closed?
I see no reason why. (looks to be somehow related to some pic's that are no longer there)
Overzealous mod?

Last edited by Tony T; 07-13-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

The lynching picture pushed it past the point of reasonable conversation

Thank Rueda Tropical

Really nothing more to say

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:36 AM

As soon as I saw those pics, I knew it was dead. I agree that was over the line, just not necessary to make your point, but wish the pics could have been deleted & thread left open.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 AM

There's no pic there now (I never saw them, don't need to now).
Whoever posted had very little input to that thread.
Offensive picture was removed, we should have been able to move on (or have the thread end on it's own)

Looks like an overzealous mod (my opinion).

oh well.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 AM

Seems to me that if you can't say what you got to say in 45 pages then it's pretty much ran it's course
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
There's no pic there now (I never saw them, don't need to now).
Whoever posted had very little input to that thread.
Offensive picture was removed, we should have been able to move on (or have the thread end on it's own)

Looks like an overzealous mod (my opinion).

oh well.
I disagree. The pics posted were demonstrative and appropriate. Buldogge hit it dead on in his last post.

IMO, the entire thread had no place on this forum, which is a cycling forum (with the occasional post about the NE Patriots). It should have been shut down sooner, but was allowed to go on. It then became a thread for a few forumites to nagger on, seemingly in an effort to impress everyone as to the extent of their intellects and sophisticated world views.

No one comes here to hear others pontificate on current events or political issues. Maybe we should keep the discussions on this forum related to cycling? There are other places on Internet more suitable to discussions pertaining to political issues and current affairs.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Seems to me that if you can't say what you got to say in 45 pages then it's pretty much ran it's course
Then should all threads should be locked when it's ran it's course?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
…No one comes here to hear others pontificate on current events or political issues. Maybe we should keep the discussions on this forum related to cycling? There are other places on Internet more suitable to discussions pertaining to political issues and current affairs.
Well, there's quite a bit of OT posts on the paceline cycling forum, and there's more than a few members who discuss topics other than cycling.

I don't disagree with you, I always thought that there should be a dedicated section for OT posts (and re-naming "General Discussion" to "General Cycling Discussion")
Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Well, there's quite a bit of OT posts on the paceline cycling forum, and there's more than a few members who discuss topics other than cycling.

I don't disagree with you, I always thought that there should be a dedicated section for OT posts (and re-naming "General Discussion" to "General Cycling Discussion")
And some OT posts are less inappropriate, or more innocuous than others. I think we all should be able to know it when we see it. I also don't think an OT forum is necessary. Such a forum would place more of a burden on the mods, and there already are all sorts of forums on the Internet where what amount to OT posts here are actually on-topic and relevant.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 AM

Well, I would suspect that the users here would prefer to have these "OT" discussions with folks that they also discuss cycling with, rather then having them with "strangers" on other forums on the internet.

A separate OT section would not place more of a burden on the mods, it would probably make it easier on them, and also on those who feel that the General Discussion section should only be about cycling.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM

I agree with your points. I can't say if it would aid the mods or not. I just don't know what it looks like on that side of things. I've gotten a lot of help on various OT threads. I think it is a valuable source. Plus, I consider people on here to be friends. Some of which I've had opportunity to speak to outside of this forum. I love that we can have topics that we don't all agree on and can be discussed civilly. Granted, we've seen some real snotty behavior, but that's bound to happen. People are people. It's just nice to do all this with people who also love cycling. I can't ask for a better common ground!
Quote:
Well, I would suspect that the users here would prefer to have these "OT" discussions with folks that they also discuss cycling with, rather then having them with "strangers" on other forums on the internet.

A separate OT section would not place more of a burden on the mods, it would probably make it easier on them, and also on those who feel that the General Discussion section should only be about cycling.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Can't please everyone - but we try

OT section has been discussed before - general thought no one would really see them and many worthwhile OT topics would get missed

Yes, threads get closed when they run their course or they just slip off the page

They are usually closed when they have gone way off the rails or are running in circles

We do the best we can to offer the most to the most

Please see line 1

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Can't please everyone - but we try

OT section has been discussed before - general thought no one would really see them and many worthwhile OT topics would get missed

Yes, threads get closed when they run their course or they just slip off the page

They are usually closed when they have gone way off the rails or are running in circles

We do the best we can to offer the most to the most

Please see line 1

BK
Thank you.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:48 AM
It An't Me Babe

The Mods did what they usually do, which is grant enough latitude for each Paceliner in the thread to represent themselves in the way they do. Without going over into offensiveness. So what you see/read is what you get. I always speak to everyone here in a manner of mutual respect. Always.

There are too many nuances to keep track of and what is snotty to one person might not be to somebody else, for example. I didn't see anybody out to showboat about anything - it was just a conversation the ebbed and flowed across multiple tracks and levels simultaneously.

Thanks Mods.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Having a separate OT section has been discussed before. It would add another section that has to be looked after. As mods we all have day jobs and do this as volunteers on our own time.
We can't please everyone as Bruce said and we try to make this an open friendly but most importantly civil place for bike lovers.