Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #406  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Pegoready's Avatar
Pegoready Pegoready is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,134
Oof. That is a tough read. It's particularly difficult to read the same whiny story year after year.

I love Rivendell. They have influenced my thinking about riding so much. I still think back to the time when I was a new cyclist and discovered them in the early internet age. What a revelation! Theirs isn't the only way of thinking, but it's a healthy addition to your lighter/newer/faster/tech-ier urges.

Lately, I just cannot get behind anything they are doing. I click through their site looking for something, anything to buy to help them and it's all so strange. Leather straps that polish your hubs when you ride, Acera rear derailleurs, a bell.. not a bike bell, just a bell that dangles from a string off your handlebars. Completely manufactured attempts at building bikes sloppy and whimsically. It's like watching your favorite uncle age into senility.

Here are screenshots of three bikes from the 2004 Riv site:







And here is what they are doing now:





  #407  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:42 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 20,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
It's just sad to read that people are working at reduced pay to keep it going. That's not sustainable.
Riv is also located in one of the, if not THE most expensive places in the country to live. The captain of the ship needs to know when to sound the general alarm and lower the lifeboats, before the crew get stuck in the engine room and go down with the ship. I hope the captain over there figures out how to plug the holes, re-ballast the boat and keep steaming, or call it a good run and get the crew off before it's too late.
  #408  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM
jtakeda jtakeda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Town
Posts: 4,359
Grant sure knows how to create a bank run for all those gift certs from the Hail Mary. I’m using mine asap
  #409  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Uncle Cranky's Avatar
Uncle Cranky Uncle Cranky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Posts: 34
Yikes! They don't need to cut their pay by 40%. They need 40% less employees.
  #410  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Hawker Hawker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gainesville, GA
Posts: 1,878
I don't know Grant, have never met him....but have been reading his stuff occasionally for over twenty years. Clearly he is a poet, an artist and a person of whimsey. In addition to knowing something about building a bike.

And fortunately, he has been able to assemble a team of people who feel pretty much the same way and who are committed to his vision and probably to him as a person. But...the best thing for the future is for him to find a partner who is an experienced businessperson first, who may or may not know anything about bikes. Sell the person part ownership so they have skin in the game and let them make the calls about product and process. But it has to be an experienced person with a track record of running a successful business or knowing how to turn businesses around. Sounds like love, emotion and debt are getting in the way of success and asking creditors and employees to take the hit can't last forever.

But...I find his heart and spirit attractive and it's a nice "feel" as opposed to the Big three American manufacturers...just not sustainable I'm afraid.
  #411  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post

And here is what they are doing now:





Wow, it's amazing these sell at all today.
  #412  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,147
Plan Z!

From the blog:

"Mark's cut back his pay 40 percent to reduce our payroll, but he seems to have cut his hours back about 10 percent. Spencer raised his hand to cut back as much, too. Robert and Jenny are down to 40 percent, too (related to not enough boxes to ship out). I've cut my pay significantly but am working the same hours. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?"

No, no it isn't supposed to be this way. And a 40% pay cut is huge, they can'tbe making that much. I feel for the workers there. That's going to wear thin fast on them and their families.

And an eight grand buffer in an enterprise that size means they're one hiccup away from closing.

He's going over scenarios about the end of the business and all plans look bad except the "angel" buyer. Good luck with that.

And after this and the last entry I'd be surprised if anyone dealing with them didn't require cash first.
  #413  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM
jtbadge's Avatar
jtbadge jtbadge is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,991
I'd be surprised if these prompted gift card purchases didn't account for the entirety of their alleged $8-9k profit for last year.

Make bikes people actually want to buy or go out of business.
  #414  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 PM
steveoz steveoz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Oof. That is a tough read. It's particularly difficult to read the same whiny story year after year.

I love Rivendell. They have influenced my thinking about riding so much. I still think back to the time when I was a new cyclist and discovered them in the early internet age. What a revelation! Theirs isn't the only way of thinking, but it's a healthy addition to your lighter/newer/faster/tech-ier urges.

Lately, I just cannot get behind anything they are doing. I click through their site looking for something, anything to buy to help them and it's all so strange. Leather straps that polish your hubs when you ride, Acera rear derailleurs, a bell.. not a bike bell, just a bell that dangles from a string off your handlebars. Completely manufactured attempts at building bikes sloppy and whimsically. It's like watching your favorite uncle age into senility.

Here are screenshots of three bikes from the 2004 Riv site:







And here is what they are doing now:





You just hit the nail on the head....I remember the older Rivendale bikes, they were retro/cool and he had some definite ideas on what/why/how bikes should be....level top tubes, lugged, steel, fatter tires....The bikes he sells today are the same kind of abomination he used to rail against!
  #415  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM
CunegoFan CunegoFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
From the blog:

"Mark's cut back his pay 40 percent to reduce our payroll, but he seems to have cut his hours back about 10 percent. Spencer raised his hand to cut back as much, too. Robert and Jenny are down to 40 percent, too (related to not enough boxes to ship out). I've cut my pay significantly but am working the same hours. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?"

No, no it isn't supposed to be this way. And a 40% pay cut is huge, they can'tbe making that much. I feel for the workers there. That's going to wear thin fast on them and their families.
The next step is asking employees to put company expenses on their personal credit cards to get them to a new product release.
  #416  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM
mtechnica mtechnica is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,299
I dunno what happened. The dude that was responsible for some pretty nice Bridgestone bikes (including the RB-1 racing model) now derides the very thought of a racing bicycle and in the same blog post posits that the best riding bike out there is a glorified beach cruiser, all the while wondering why the business is floundering - when meanwhile people are still buying - you guessed it - “normal” road bikes (and mountain bikes).

I’m pretty sure I posed the same exact thing the last time I responded to this thread or one of these threads. Lol...
  #417  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:25 PM
eddief eddief is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 9,433
I think VO ate Riv's lunch

Love Riv and quirk and tall headtubes and gorgeous off the rack lugged bikes. And VO does all that (without the lugs) and then designs or sources a huge number of things relevant to the culture. So VO does the culture deeper, wider, better, and with less weirdness. Grant lost me first at double top tubes and has only gone farther afield since. I've owned three Rambouillets and two Bleriots thinking the beauty was the answer. In the end those bikes were not the best for my fast club rides and I can find the same fit in a tall Trek Domane.

I don't think the niche is big enough to succeed in without a laser focus on the audience and making sure you are constantly hitting the mark. Grant is really good at a lot o stuff, including building a small cult. The cult is divided now and Grant's vision is not keen enough to support the operation. Too many niche-y expensive projects with seemingly mediocre ROI.

I for one would be sad to see it end.
__________________
Roubaix Di2, Curtlo S&S Etap
  #418  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
marciero marciero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Portland Maine
Posts: 1,891


And a tandem sort of based on this. Rear triangle anyway. Sold 35 of those.

Last edited by marciero; 02-11-2019 at 08:06 PM.
  #419  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM
parris parris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,399
Am I the only one that thinks the back end of those bikes seem quite long?
  #420  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM
raygunner's Avatar
raygunner raygunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the back end of those bikes seem quite long?
My understanding is that the long chain stays were the brainchild of one of their former employees.

Instead of going low trail and disc they went long chain stay in addition to
cannibalizing their line-up.

And I can't believe they don't have the Hunqipillar anymore!

Anyways, a discussion thread on this topic on the RBW Owners Group got nuked as it turned into "squabbling". The kooliad hasn't worn off!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.