Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Problem with Zwift and Cycleops Trainer

I have Cycleops Magnus trainer that I’ve used successfully with Zwift for a year. I finally read the Zwift website in detail and it mentioned that it’s good to occasionally calibrate your smart trainer. So I did this with Zwift’s tool. Disaster. The slightest pedal effort resulted in superhuman speed and power readings. Looking through their ‘known issues’ section they said that there’s a problem and don’t recommend using the Zwift calibration tool with Cycleops trainers. Gee, that’s great—why’d their program allow me to do so when they know what trainer I use?

I called Cycleops and Zwift and read lots of comments from angry trainer users with the same problem. Zwift and Cycleops blame each other. The workaround recommended is to download Rouvy, which appears to be a Cycleops product, do a calibration there and then go back to Zwift. I did all that but I can’t successfully do a calibration on Rouvy. The directions are to pedal at 20-25 mph and at some point, it will tell you to quit pedaling. It never did. I’ve tried 4 times from 1 min. to 15 min. until I finally gave up. Each time I’ve gone back to Zwift but no fix. I’ve checked with the Powertap app and it shows my firmware is up to date.

I’m frustrated about all the wasted non-riding time. Does anyone have any tips on calibration with Rouvy? Or any ideas about how I can get back to Zwifting?

Much thanks.