Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 PM

Ted King’s - The G’road to Kanaza

I came across this vlog last night and thought it was great enough to share. It is Ted Kings vlog which I think chronicles his prepping to Dirty Kanaza. So, far it’s him doing the epic gravel races, BWR and LR100. Super cool guy and gives some insight to gravel riding that anyone can learn from. Highly recommend....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNu...GhQJngFPebQmzw
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 AM
ZhugeLiang

I watched it a few days ago, yeah, it was great. The last part of the video where you can see the difference between the numbers for both years, wow...world tour rider Peter Stetina really pushed him to the limit. I posted the full results for BWR on the other thread:

http://www.tbgtiming.com/2019%20CANY...%20OVERALL.pdf
Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 AM

This year was fast! Wow. After trying to train properly through one of the worst stretches of spring weather that I can remember in Wisconsin, I showed up with fingers crossed that at least I wouldn't have any surprise bike issues. Turns out I made it the whole day with zero issues which was awesome.

The day was great, and I made it through the first section with the front leaders. I think I was 15th going into it? In any case it became very apparent that my climbing legs didn't make it on the plane with me, and I was out of that group going into the second section. The rest of the day was a blast. Black Canyon was the highlight for me. Absolutely beautiful climbing on those roads. The descending was scary as H. Jesus. You'd be flying down firm gravel/dirt and hit a surprise sand pit. I used tubeless 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls and they were ok for most sections, but from what I understand most of the guys in the front group were on at least 35mm tires this year because of those sketchy spots. The weather was sunny, 80 deg, and a nice breeze meant you didn't fry all day. All in all pretty great. I'd recommend this event to anyone who likes to do crazy crap on their bikes! Ended up 91st and hobbling around for a day afterward.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Well done, earlfoss!!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

I love that he rocks a berthoud saddle
Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I used tubeless 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls and they were ok for most sections, but from what I understand most of the guys in the front group were on at least 35mm tires this year because of those sketchy spots.
Wow. I've been riding 50mm or larger tires everywhere for a while. This week I took a ride on Schwalbe 30mm tubeless tires ON THE ROAD and it felt jarring on the crappy pavement. Those tires on that Kanza route give me shivers.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 AM

great stuff, such a simple bike he rides, and berthoud saddle and compass tires courtesy of a sponsor? not that they dont work awesome!

Also interesting is that hes on sram 1x. the setups they are using to win these races are the same gravel setup im using. 42 or 44 front and 10-42 in back.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 05-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
great stuff, such a simple bike he rides, and berthoud saddle and compass tires courtesy of a sponsor? not that they dont work awesome!
He's sponsored by Rene' Herse (formerly Compass) where he gets the BJPs and the Berthoud saddle.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Also interesting is that hes on sram 1x. the setups they are using to win these races are the same gravel setup im using. 42 or 44 front and 10-42 in back.
This video I watched showed his Cannondale SuperX with 48/35 double and 11-33 cassette. Horses for courses, I reckon.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 AM

What's the Dirty KANAZA?

Sounds like a counterfeit version of the Dirty Kanza.

Just kidding of course, but seems like a very easy typo that completely changes the pronunciation of the event.

Regarding gearing - with the introduction of 2x systems with chain retention it seems like real performance gains through increased gearing/cadence/efficiency can be had by top riders at gravel events. Would like to see how many riders make the switch over the SRAM AXS or Shimano GRX next year.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Vendor

Gumwalls! Whooooo!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacstanley View Post
He's sponsored by Rene' Herse (formerly Compass) where he gets the BJPs and the Berthoud saddle.
I like that this relationship induced RH to come up with a tougher casing concept for gnarlier gravel.

Instagram
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I like that this relationship induced RH to come up with a tougher casing concept for gnarlier gravel.
Agreed - I've been riding BJPs (standard casing) for nearly 3 years continuously and haven't had 1 flat with the tubeless setup.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacstanley View Post
Agreed - I've been riding BJPs (standard casing) for nearly 3 years continuously and haven't had 1 flat with the tubeless setup.
Then no reason for you to move to a tougher (and presumably somewhat less supple) casing, right?

But, I agree, options are good.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Then no reason for you to move to a tougher (and presumably somewhat less supple) casing, right?

But, I agree, options are good.
Exactly right. I don't need RH to offer what WTB and Panaracer already do.