Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM
CDA for me

New wheels fro CDA

I’m contemplating modernizing my 2006 CDA. The bike is still in awesome condition. I currently have a pair of Open Pro’s on it that measure 20mm external width. Running Vittoria Corsa G tires....25’s. There is a very slim clearance between the tires and CS. I would really love to upgrade to a pair of Zipp 303 but looks like they may be too wide. Any of you old Serotta guys found a modern rim that will work with that era frame?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:49 PM

what do you mean by "modern" rim?
Old 05-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Riding Along

The CDA will fit a 23mm wide rim with a 23mm tire and likely a 25mm tire and possibly a 28mm tire. My CII fits a 23mm rim with a 28mm tire with room to spare.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 PM
CDA for me

Ken, thinking about a new set of Zipp 303. I guess by _modern_ I was referring to the fact that most rims are wider internally and externally than years ago when I put the OP’s on. The old OP’s and 25 Vittoria Corsa’s are so close to the CS already. Guess I just need to find some wheels to mount and see how they work.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspin View Post
Ken, thinking about a new set of Zipp 303. I guess by _modern_ I was referring to the fact that most rims are wider internally and externally than years ago when I put the OP’s on. The old OP’s and 25 Vittoria Corsa’s are so close to the CS already. Guess I just need to find some wheels to mount and see how they work.
I wonder if such a swap would provide any real improvement in performance

Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 PM

I have a 2008 CDA with late model campy neutron ultras. Those are 21mm wide and I have maybe 2-3mm on each side of the chain stays.

New Zipp 303s are 26.4mm wide. My guess is they won’t fit, and if they do, probably wouldn’t be a good fitment. I would just drop into an LBS zipp dealer and try it if you’re really interested.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wonder if such a swap would provide any real improvement in performance.
I replaced Open Pro CD / Record hubs with Bora One on my lugged steel.
Absolutely transformative.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I replaced Open Pro CD / Record hubs with Bora One on my lugged steel.
Absolutely transformative.
In what way(s)?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM

lighter, areo wheels will transform a ride of an old friend...lighter wheels will spin up quickly and the bike just feels responsive...aero rims will hold higher speeds and the bike will just rip down the road and put a smile on your face!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Most of my rides are along the Pacific Coast. I tried a couple of kinds of aero wheels and hated the ones I tried. While I think I gained pace on a high speed descent (maybe 42mph to 44mph) I hated how our perpetual crosswinds pushed me around compared to my Open Pros on Dura Ace, Ultegra, or Record 32 hole hubs. We know there is no free lunch and and almost every component choice involves compromise. I the case the OP wonders about it doesn't sound like his CDA has enough clearance to use wider rims AND tires so it seems that wheel tire options for him would be lighter and more aero designs. If we get deeper more aero rims don't we usually also get heavier rims? If so would they be slower to accelerate but faster top speed?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:30 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Most of my rides are along the Pacific Coast. I tried a couple of kinds of aero wheels and hated the ones I tried. While I think I gained pace on a high speed descent (maybe 42mph to 44mph) I hated how our perpetual crosswinds pushed me around compared to my Open Pros on Dura Ace, Ultegra, or Record 32 hole hubs. We know there is no free lunch and and almost every component choice involves compromise. I the case the OP wonders about it doesn't sound like his CDA has enough clearance to use wider rims AND tires so it seems that wheel tire options for him would be lighter and more aero designs. If we get deeper more aero rims don't we usually also get heavier rims? If so would they be slower to accelerate but faster top speed?
As usual, YMMV with anything. My Bora One wheelset at 1400g is 150-200g lighter than a Open pro/record wheelset. They spin up faster, maintain speed longer, and hold a line downhill beautifully. At 35mm not too deep but deep enough to yield consistently quantifiable benefit and handle any crosswind I experience here just fine.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
As usual, YMMV with anything. My Bora One wheelset at 1400g is 150-200g lighter than a Open pro/record wheelset. They spin up faster, maintain speed longer, and hold a line downhill beautifully. At 35mm not too deep but deep enough to yield consistently quantifiable benefit and handle any crosswind I experience here just fine.
That's a nice review. I don't know what the width of those rims are or if the hubs are compatible with the Original Poster's drivetrain. I thought he wanted to run wider rims and/or tires than he can with his Open Pros.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:01 AM

This was the last time Eric started a thread. He was still an avid rider, paddle enthusiast and all round great person. He was also my bet friend for over 30 years and was responsible for starting my road biking passion.

As you have probably guessed, Eric passed away last weekend very unexpectedly.

A true friend for over 3 decades is hard to find and I was blessed to have him as mine.

RIP my friend.

Mike
Old 09-14-2021, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Mike. Sounds like he was a great pal. RIP indeed.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM

Oh jeez. That came out of nowhere. So sorry to hear that news, Mike. And so sorry for your loss of your dear friend. Friends like that are among the best things in life. Sending my sympathies to you and to his family.