Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

OT: Rabbit Holes

This is going to get meta. I just emerged from a 1 1/2 hour long trip down the DIY teardrop trailer rabbit hole. I've gotten lost down the travel mug rabbit hole, knife rabbit hole, daypack rabbit hole and oddly, an undershirt rabbit hole. As an added bonus, I went down a "cloud chasing" rabbit hole - the world of competitive vaping.

Are there other interesting and/or valuable rabbit holes that you can't resist? Bikes being the obvious one.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Pack fill

Smoking meats and barbecue tend to suck me in. And I like the results
Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM

Any purchase ultimately becomes a 'rabbit hole' for me. This is regardless of whether it is a necessity or something I am interested in.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
This is going to get meta. I just emerged from a 1 1/2 hour long trip down the DIY teardrop trailer rabbit hole. I've gotten lost down the travel mug rabbit hole, knife rabbit hole, daypack rabbit hole and oddly, an undershirt rabbit hole. As an added bonus, I went down a "cloud chasing" rabbit hole - the world of competitive vaping.

Are there other interesting and/or valuable rabbit holes that you can't resist? Bikes being the obvious one.
Probably my favorite running column on AVClub is Wiki Wormhole. Endlessly fascinating and really activates the inquisitive and humorous synapses all at once.

https://www.avclub.com/c/wiki-wormhole
Old 05-21-2019, 03:57 PM

LOL! It means you have a brain. Enjoy it.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Any purchase ultimately becomes a 'rabbit hole' for me. This is regardless of whether it is a necessity or something I am interested in.
Lemme guess... Virgo?

I'm married to one - haven't gotten up the nerve to buy her this mug yet

Old 05-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Oh I know this struggle! I'm in the home audio rabbit hole as well as photography, skiing, and firearms big time. That is in addition to bicycling of course. Friends of mine have asked me to get into Golf. I know myself WAY too well to head down that path!

I completely forgot about the bag/backpack rabbit hole! Add that one as well. I just bought 2 rifle bags as if I needed them...

Last edited by parris; 05-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Lemme guess... Virgo?

Ha ha - that’s me.

Since buying a house, I’ve been down a few home reno rabbit holes.

Also, trying to rationalize buying a hybrid car and selling our gas guzzler SUV.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

Rock crawling.........

Old 05-21-2019, 05:42 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Recently went down the lawn care rabbit hole.... Now I see why some people get obsessed with their lawns.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Recently went down the lawn care rabbit hole.... Now I see why some people get obsessed with their lawns.
Yep, bought a house last year, considering a powerrake dethatcher, string trimmer, lawn mower, leaf blower, spreader.... Yikes!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 PM

As an accountant, I am into desk stuff that works. Settled on Staedtler Mars Micro .7 mm pencils which I liked, but was having a hard time finding pens that worked. (I know this stuff is not sexy.) In a Sunday article, the Washington Post performed a survey of reporters, journalists, etc. to find out what the preferred ball point pen of these experts was. By a major proportion, the consensus was for the Uni Jetstream ballpoint pen. The participants described all kinds of reasons why the Slipstream was their choice.

I had to have one to see what it was all about. I went to all of the likely locations (Staples, Office Depot, Target, etc.). They all had lots of ball point pens, including Unis, but no Jetstreams. Finally, I found some Jetsreams at Office Depot and bought a pack. I wanted .7s but they only had 1.0s. Anyway, tried them and they worked ok but I could not understand the rave reviews. But for me, the satisfaction was for searching for the pens in the first place, rather than actually having them.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Years ago when my wife and I had the kitchen remodeled it was ranges and vent hoods (still have the spreadsheet somewhere). Considering the designer and contractor needed the details long before the actual purchase I was under the gun. Although I ultimately nailed it both functionally and aesthetically my wife made it clear she would not be an active participant in that process ever again.

Now I need to keep it under the radar as best I can, two years ago it was a water heater (went tankless) and now she needs a new car, uh oh.

It's largely the reason I still ride Campy 10, the can of worms I would open in order to navigate what is currently available would kill me, or my marriage.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-21-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
As an accountant, I am into desk stuff that works. Settled on Staedtler Mars Micro .7 mm pencils which I liked, but was having a hard time finding pens that worked. (I know this stuff is not sexy.) In a Sunday article, the Washington Post performed a survey of reporters, journalists, etc. to find out what the preferred ball point pen of these experts was. By a major proportion, the consensus was for the Uni Jetstream ballpoint pen. The participants described all kinds of reasons why the Slipstream was their choice.

I had to have one to see what it was all about. I went to all of the likely locations (Staples, Office Depot, Target, etc.). They all had lots of ball point pens, including Unis, but no Jetstreams. Finally, I found some Jetsreams at Office Depot and bought a pack. I wanted .7s but they only had 1.0s. Anyway, tried them and they worked ok but I could not understand the rave reviews. But for me, the satisfaction was for searching for the pens in the first place, rather than actually having them.
Jetstreams are nice, but you really need to try Schmidt refills - they're the cream of the rollerball crop. Some of the Retro 51 pens use them (rebranded). I have a Retro 51 "Joker" that's my official "Friday pen."

P-8127 (short) or the 8127 (long) refills are very, very good. The 8126 is a tad narrower (0.6 mm instead of 0.7). They aren't cheap, but it's worth trying them out.

If you're into writing (pens, notebooks, paper, etc.) there are lots of places to get lost on the web, but Jetpens.com is a good place to start.

Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 Hybrid Ballpoint Pen Refill - Medium Point (SCHMIDT 90021) are also nice, but IMO not quite as nice as 8127 or 8126 series.

Finally, if you're into machined pens, Karas makes some that can accommodate a huge variety of refills, including the Schimdts. I have a Karas EDK and a Render K.

Good Luck
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 PM

I know the feeling. But, hey, there are worse ways to live your life. And if you could use a drink while you analyze and think. . .