Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM

ZIPP 454's

Anyone riding on this oh-so-expensive carbon wheelset? Like 'em?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Anyone riding on this oh-so-expensive carbon wheelset? Like 'em?
I've got a set on my Speedwagen. I was interested in the 404 NSWs but my lbs gave me a sweet deal on a lightly used set of the 454s. If I was buying new, don't think I'd go for the 454s but when they're cheaper than new 404 NSWs, they're definitely worth a look.

I've ridden them recently on two long distance group rides and both rides had some nasty cross winds. The 454s handled surprisingly well. Otherwise, they're plenty stiff and feel a lot like my Bontrager Aeolus 5s but maybe a touch lighter in feel and spin up.

My blog and Instagram
Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM

OK, thanks.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM

i rode them when they were first released for a few hundred km.

they're very stiff. the cognition hub (a la zipp's other nsw wheels) is legit and instant. they corner quite well for a deep wheel. they're a fun wheel to ride hard.

they're not light. they're not rad in crosswinds, their purported strong suit. they're expensive as hell.

i'd still get a pair of boras over them, but they definitely don't suck - if the price is right.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Zipp 454

Jeff,
You're a bigger guy, correct?
They might be a good wheel for flat to rolling terrain, but it really depends on where you ride and how you like to ride.

I have spent the last couple weeks demo-ing a set of 65mm aero wheels. Though they are fast- they don't seem to be that much faster.
And they seem to have more negatives than positives for me. They are heavier, don't corner as well, and catch the crosswinds more (like Nate said), and chatter much more.
I might want a set if I was doing criterium racing on a serious level- Not so much for everything else.

I prefer something in the 30-40mm range. Maybe slightly deeper if they are light enough.
My favorite wheels are the I9 35. Light, bombproof, tubeless, carbon, very fast for their depth.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:21 PM

I'm a bigger guy, yes. Some have suggested that 454's might "cower" under my weight when going into turns. I've ridden Bora Ones and that hasn't been the case. The reason I'm asking is that I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used set for under $2k...thought I'd give 'em a try and, if I didn't like 'em, I could just sell.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 AM

Hey Jeff: I'm a bigger guy myself and I've put at least 500 miles on a set of 454s that I won in a drawing at a charity event (World Bicycle Relief--good cause). I keep them on a bike I ride in Rhode Island where a lot of my riding is on the big windy ocean loop around the Newport area.

I agree that they're not immune whatsoever from big whoops of wind. I do find that in normal riding absent big gusts, they just seem "quieter" than the 404 Firestrikes I have on another bike there. They just don't seem to move the front end of the bike around as much, but it's subtle, for sure. i wouldn't buy them just for that characteristic, but I do like riding them a lot. If I was doing triathlons (which I most assuredly am not), I'd definitely consider them for riding on the aero bars all the time.

One caveat for you: they have a Max Width of 27.8 mm. Make sure they'll fit comfortably in your frames/forks.

HTH, Tim

When I spent my own money, I bought Boras, btw.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

I have the new 303 's on a dogmaK. These are great and the new brake tracks are much better than the older wheels.

I have an older 404/808 combo on an aerobike. This set up will handle worse than the 454s in the cross wind. At a 180 lbs, I have no issues on the coast of England in the wind.

Unless you are a flea, you shouldn't have a problem... Tim's advice on width is the biggest issue.
Carbon wheels sound kick ass.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

I've decided to pass on 454's. I handled a pair at a LBS here in San Diego and, quite frankly, the build quality doesn't look even close to the quality of Campy Boras,or Fulcrum Speed 40's, yet they are way more expensive. It also looks like switching hub bodies is a PITA compared to C or F. I'm sure they're nice, but.....
Just the same, thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I have the new 303 's on a dogmaK. These are great and the new brake tracks are much better than the older wheels.

I have an older 404/808 combo on an aerobike. This set up will handle worse than the 454s in the cross wind. At a 180 lbs, I have no issues on the coast of England in the wind.

Unless you are a flea, you shouldn't have a problem... Tim's advice on width is the biggest issue.
Carbon wheels sound kick ass.
Yes the brake track on 303nsw is much better
I was looking at the 454 but stayed with the 303, very pleased
SN# HC-54-265
Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Fulcrum Speed 40C Wheelset

Decided to go with these beauties. The ride is stiff/superb and the absolute, pure quality surpasses all others I've seen...and far less expensive, comparatively. I can VERY highly recommend them!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2678.jpg (151.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Now that's an upgrade!