Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

Recs? Want sneaker w/stiff sole, wide toe cage for flat pedals and toe clips

What are people's latest favorite non-clipless shoes?

I have a bike I've converted over to flat pedals and toe clips. This is my weekend camping / credit card overnight bike, and I want to wear sneakers or lightweight hiking style shoes.

I've tried Five Ten Freeriders and Chromes but both were too narrow in the toe. I've also tried on a couple of light Merrell hiking shoes, but I found those to be overbuilt and heavy.

I'm currently using my running sneaker but the soles are much too flexible for my tastes on the bike.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Vans pro skate are a good choice.

Hiking shoes of any sort; just like trail runners would inherently be not good for flat pedals because they have lugs on the soles for grip, and you really want a smooth bottom for pedal interface.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Approach shoes might work. Here's one example. There are a lot out there.
https://www.rei.com/product/129898/e...che-shoes-mens
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Vans pro skate are a good choice.

Hiking shoes of any sort; just like trail runners would inherently be not good for flat pedals because they have lugs on the soles for grip, and you really want a smooth bottom for pedal interface.
I now ride flat cage pedals exclusively (without straps, no need once you get used to them) and found I prefer trail running shoes, light weight, wide toe box and rough tread really grip the pedals, smooth soles slide too easily when damp or wet.

Last edited by bobswire; 05-22-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 AM

Five Ten Aescent. Been using them for a couple years. Grippy rubber and just the right stiffness to work on and off the bike. I normally ride in Lake MX237 (46 reg) with "road" SPD pedals, but when I ride with flats I use the Aescents. Night before last I realized I had just shipping my Lakes with my bike for a bikepacking trip so I put a set of old Gipiemme quills with VO half clips on the bike and rode with the Five Tens. Worked great.

I wear a 12 in the Aescent and could've sworn they are wides (tag is worn out and illegible), but don't see different widths when I look now. Price is right so I'm going to get another pair.

Edit: To clarify I've used these shoes with both modern MTB flats (Xpedo Spyre) and old-school quills with clips.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 05-22-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:31 AM

I think we should distinguish between the type of touring pedals (sometimes used with toeclips) that bobswire posted and MTB flat pedals with pins, like this:

Touring pedals are fine with lugged soles, so long as you aren't getting caught by the toeclip when trying to put a foot down. Pinned MTB pedals dont work with lugged soles, because the pins just find the spaces between the lugs and your foot slides around.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Adidas Superstar have the rubber shell toe that really works well with toe clips.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 AM

https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs...xoCiUYQAvD_BwE

I've not used them but seem like a great profile and they have a firm sole for support when lifting etc. Not cushy so little toe wrap.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks. I have a pair of Vans on order. The Five Ten Ascents look nice but my size is no longer available. It looks like it’s being discontinued, too?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhoo View Post
It looks like it’s being discontinued, too?
Seems to be the case. Glad I ordered another pair. I take it that once Adidas bought Five Ten most Five Ten fans were not pleased with the changes Adidas made. Personally, I've only owned the one pair of Aescents. Been very happy with them, though. At first my arches were sore if I walked a lot in them, but my feet acclimated and I'm a fan.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhoo View Post
Thanks. I have a pair of Vans on order. The Five Ten Ascents look nice but my size is no longer available. It looks like it’s being discontinued, too?
Which Vans? I have a pair I like for winter city bike use, but they are too hot in the summer. I’ve found the slip-ons (which are my summer casual go-to) to not have quite the same pedaling support.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 AM

For actual mountain biking it’s 5-10s every day and twice on Sunday. Nothing that I’ve tried comes close. For putzing around on a flat pedal bike in a less committed way you open up a bunch of other options: Vans, indoor soccer shoes like an Adidas Samba, or my current favorite- the Simple OS or Retro 91. In high school I wore Simple sneakers pretty much every day, they went away for a while but are back again now and are as good as I remember them being.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 AM

gotta say, if you think the 510 freeriders are too narrow you're in for a tough search. they're the widest toe box i've found on anything viable for cycling, and i've looked.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM

The Adidas Sambas are terribly narrow for my feet.

I ordered a pair of Vans Old Skool with custom colors, as well as a couple of approach-style shoes from REI's recent holiday weekend sale. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:31 PM

I vote for thin soles. Something like a boat shoe or drive shoe is perfect. A mocassin w/ rubber soles.