Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 PM

As luck would have it.

Glad you're safe.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:58 PM

Specialized cast Ti stem cracked for mr at 2 mph just before a race in which the downhills were 50 mph .
Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Vendor

Unfortunately it's a really common issue. Usually you see the stem crack on the back near the bolt hole. When I was at Thomson we switched to the small 3mm hex head due to people not using torque wrenches and over tightening them. We found it difficult to get a ton of torque on the 3mm keys vs the 4. The Allen wrench would twist or flex before it was critical overtorquing. We also found that torque on the bolts increased an average of 15% if grease or anti seize was used.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 PM

When installing a saddle on a Thomson seatpost I noticed the cradle was cracked. Post was used and think the crack was likely there prior to my saddle install. Had other posts in the past with no issues. Currently using one of their seatpost clamps on my mtb. Probably should keep an eye on it.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 PM

That second bolt is just there for redundancy. Should be fine—maybe even add some compliance to the ride.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
When installing a saddle on a Thomson seatpost I noticed the cradle was cracked. Post was used and think the crack was likely there prior to my saddle install. Had other posts in the past with no issues. Currently using one of their seatpost clamps on my mtb. Probably should keep an eye on it.
I've never seen a seat collar cracked. That was the only thing we never had come back. You should be fine.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:03 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
Specialized cast Ti stem cracked for mr at 2 mph just before a race in which the downhills were 50 mph .
I was riding my '80s road bike out to the local mountain ride with 4 long downhills when my Cinelli 1R stem broke, as they do. Fortunately limped home without issue, but I don't think it would have worked out so well if it had broken a half hour later.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I've never seen a seat collar cracked. That was the only thing we never had come back. You should be fine.
they must come pre cracked as mine never held my seatpost very well
Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM

Not just stems etc.
I try to keep my bikes fastidiously clean. Not only does it keep them looking pretty and tuned, but also insures that I get a chance to look over complete bike for anything that could go wrong. So far, been lucky.

However, have had many friends in bike club not follow such a simple rule of keeping bikes clean. I’ve helped many in club with simple bike tweaks and repairs. Two of them, with less than clean bikes, once dirt/grime was removed I found cracks in carbon, one in rear triangle, another in fork.

Do yourself a favor, keep bike clean and do periodic inspection.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
they must come pre cracked as mine never held my seatpost very well
They make many sizes(at one point 9, now 5) and there have been times when the correct size is too large. I had one recently. I ended up going down a size and it worked better. I know, sounds odd. The gap in the collar is kind of small. I wish it were bigger so it doesn't bottom out but nope. It bottoming out is actually a feature to avoid it breaking and being overtightened. But the collar has a bolt with barrel nut so it won't break.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Glad that did not happen while on the bike. Thomson man, hate to say it but they do not make great products. Tons of cracked stems (usually its faceplates). The 2 bolt stems are known to slip. The seatpost clamp was probably one of the worst I have ever used, slipped like crazy.

If you want silver, maybe get a ritchey classic or the new zipp silver.. Otherwise just get a Kalloy Uno stem. the best... the cheapest.
Whoa- thanks for the heads up re the new Zipp products. Looks like they will be offering stem, seatpost (in 0 and 25 setback), as well as multiple silver handlebar offerings. However the black logos are very prominent. Wonder if they will be removeable with acetone?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
The X4 130 stem is just not up to hard hill climbing tandem duty.
I'm not sure any stem is up to "hard hill climbing tandem duty." As you know, tandems are the crucible of bike parts. Everything wears out faster on a tandem. I replace the captain's stem/handlebar on our tandem every couple of years as a precaution. My wife loves to stand while climbing and tosses the bike around quite a bit. Counteracting her movement and keeping the tandem upright falls to me. Since she can't be convinced to climb more smoothly, regular stem replacement it is...

Greg
Old 03-24-2020, 08:05 AM

Interesting. I came across a broken Thomson on eBay this morning. A clear picture included but not a word about it in the description.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I'm not sure any stem is up to "hard hill climbing tandem duty." As you know, tandems are the crucible of bike parts. Everything wears out faster on a tandem. I replace the captain's stem/handlebar on our tandem every couple of years as a precaution. My wife loves to stand while climbing and tosses the bike around quite a bit. Counteracting her movement and keeping the tandem upright falls to me. Since she can't be convinced to climb more smoothly, regular stem replacement it is...

Greg
We had a 3t Team stem (the one with ti bolts) on our other (travel) tandem and that held up just fine. In the process of rebuilding this travel tandem and purchased a new Fizik stem.

Counteracting movement on a tandem is indeed quite hard on components. Hard enough if a team is close to being in sync.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I really like their seatposts in certain applications, but would never touch one of their stems.

It is anecdotal, but seen waaaay to many cracked Thomson stems.
Even if it is anecdotal, thanks for the heads up. Made me rethink my choice for an upcoming build.