Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 PM

Assessing my target needs.

IMG_6485 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Swapping the 12/27 cassette on my Serotta cyclocross/gravel/all roads/whatever that I got here on PL from sokyroadie a few years back to an 11/36 XT cassette with a Deore 9 speed rear derailleur and a new chain. I have loved this bike and used it in many different capacities, but I always thought that I went too high with the gears in my initial build and now is the time to correct it.

This combo is supposed to work great with Ultegra 10 speed, I'll find out. More importantly, I expect to spend a lot of time adjusting the derailleur to make it work without taking it to the shop... I have built a bunch of bikes from the ground up but I always end up taking them to the shop for adjustment in frustration, just to witness how my local wrench makes it shift like clockwork in two minutes or less after I spent a couple of hours the night before to no avail...

I am also seriously considering getting one of the pink cross forks on sale at Black Mountain Cycles at the time and swapping it for the Ritchey carbon fork I have on it now. The Ritchey carbon is great although I get some brake shudder on descents, wondering if the steel fork will improve that. And pink and black should make for a cute combination.

Other than that, the usual when boredom hits, swapping tires and wheels around...

Last edited by ahsere; 03-30-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:01 PM

Less exciting than some others, but I'm cleaning up my Bike Haus (I like that better than garage or even Service Course) and home office, I pulled six boxes of books out from the garage yesterday and they are either on my bookshelf now or getting donated to the local library once they are open again to receive donations.

Also, I finally started by Blog http://coffeeridereporter.comin the sense that I have a domain name, a WordPress account, and some thus far not so great postings in addition to posting up things I wrote a while back. Part of the quarantine project will be getting better with WordPress and getting some non-work writing done as my writing for work is pretty technical and doesn't really leave room for expressing myself. This project also meant getting an ID up here to match my new identity and actually using it.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
Less exciting than some others, but I'm cleaning up my Bike Haus (I like that better than garage or even Service Course) and home office, I pulled six boxes of books out from the garage yesterday and they are either on my bookshelf now or getting donated to the local library once they are open again to receive donations.

Also, I finally started by Blog http://coffeeridereporter.comin the sense that I have a domain name, a WordPress account, and some thus far not so great postings in addition to posting up things I wrote a while back. Part of the quarantine project will be getting better with WordPress and getting some non-work writing done as my writing for work is pretty technical and doesn't really leave room for expressing myself. This project also meant getting an ID up here to match my new identity and actually using it.
Cool project!

So who did you used to be on here?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 PM
what's a little rust?

RFC -- are you target shooting, such as what I see in the Olympics?

I'm from a family of hunters but not a hunter. I used to enjoy target shooting with pistols, and clay pigeons with shotguns, and I've had thoughts of getting back into it.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Cool project!

So who did you used to be on here?
Lantern[R]ouge. I'm still barely hanging on the back, though Coffee Rider is able to claw back to a good position for the line at the coffee shop after the faster guys have slowed down.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
I am finally getting around to building this (Hot Tube) up. This came from the paceline collective and will hopefully finish it by next week.
Looks familiar! One of my two custom builds over the years. Toby built this for me in 2003...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot Tubes bike.jpg (103.3 KB, 522 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Knocked the dust off this thing. Sitting for years in a box. Went through the trans, full diff rebuild, shock rebuild. This thing rips 46mph, but ran out of road.

Looks like a beast. I'm interested in getting into the RC world.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Assessing my target needs.

IMG_6485 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

nice collection there..what type of rounds do those use? 22 of some type ?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM

@40 guy Thank You for the complements on the bike. It came from forumite Lurvey and before him it was eBAUMANN. Actually I was thinking that Campy compact crank you have for sale might be a better choice on this, humm.
After I finish it I will post it in the custom section.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
@40 guy Thank You for the complements on the bike. It came from forumite Lurvey and before him it was eBAUMANN. Actually I was thinking that Campy compact crank you have for sale might be a better choice on this, humm.
After I finish it I will post it in the custom section.
Thanks
Thanks!

Toby doesn't put many fittings on his frames...I had to twist his arm to get water bottle bosses. (Nobody needs water on a cross course, right? Unless it's mixed with dirt!)

He also didn't put a FD brazing on. I've always run that bike with a single front chainring, as I do with my unicorn Master CX.

Setting up Campy for top pull is just not worth it. Tried that on my Dream CX with a funky little gizmo from a German company. My Prestige CX has a better setup...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-31-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones0014 View Post
Looks like a beast. I'm interested in getting into the RC world.
I really enjoy it. Depending on how you approach it these things can become a money pit. Electric is a little more affordable after the initial investment. They are insanely fast and silent. But electric doesn't have the sound and mechanical aspect like nitro does. I like to tinker. You can pick up a decent nitro set up on eBay for a bargain. Mine is getting older at this point and replacement parts are a little harder to come by. Overall this thing is pretty durable and really doesn't need much. It's a Associated RC10GT.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:29 PM

Update on the bottom bracket saga: just needed a 15" breaker bar and a couple big pushes. Scratched the aluminum splines on the cup a bit but should be re-usable if needed.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 PM

First ever cheesecake. Just took it out of the oven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3939.jpg (113.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Arrived...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AKA1 copy.jpg (127.4 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg AKA2 copy.jpg (119.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg AKA3 copy.jpg (146.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg AKA4 copy.jpg (141.6 KB, 198 views)

Tags
diy