Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 AM

Never Safer

With so few cars on the road now, it has never been safer to go out for a ride here. Not going to change my plans just because of the (now even more) remote chance of requiring medical help.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I don't know. Have you ever been in a crash that put you in the hospital? I mean, c'mon.
3 of the 4 times I've been hit resulted in trips to the ER.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have gone to the hospital at least twice from being hit or just falling so yes it is a risk. I am still going to ride outside because I need it more than ever.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:06 AM

My plan is to stick to MTB (trails are less than 1k from my house) and not do any technical trails.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 AM

Participated in an unofficial ride yesterday. Club has suspended all official rides for at least two weeks. There were about a dozen A's, maybe 15 B's and a handful (<10) of C's. More than I expected, actually.

I was with the B/C group; we usually roll out together. For the most part we all rode in a much looser pack than normal, and did more pace lining.

Since it wasn't an official club ride I guess the normal ride rules went out the window, as well. B's dropped the C's during the "neutral roll out" portion and never looked back. Not sure why the C's weren't able to warm up at 18-20 mph.... I was the designated C leader last night. Told the others to let them go, no use killing ourselves this early in the ride. Sorry, not trying to change topic.

The weather was great and our group cooperated well together. Only a few snot rockets were blown - and from the back of the line. Finished at dusk with a pretty sunset.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:19 AM

My leg is still bugging me.. no idea what I did.. could be sciatic nerve related but I don't have any numbness type stuff. Could just be some kind of pull.

Hamstring, calf, and glute all acting weird on the left side.. tight, seems like they want to cramp up. If I stretch out my hamstring actually seems fine, what seems to really aggravate it is doing any stretches for IT band where I'm bent at teh waist.

Probably going to go for a little trail ride on the super easy trail rides at some point if we don't get to "shelter in place". I went for a 2-3 mile walk yesterday.

I did some weights yesterday. I can do squats fine and my leg is OK but I kept the weight low. Don't want to do dead lifts... that may be how I hurt it in the first place.

Still got the backyard + basketball hoop if things get really bad.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:42 AM
slower than you

Wow, I would recommend that some of you don't pick up skiing.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Retired!

Yes!

I'm still riding although not with anyone else. Our group rides have been canceled and it appears the large events I'd registered for will also be canceled - one already has been. I was out yesterday afternoon and noticed maybe just a slight reduction in vehicle traffic on the main highways (20 miles south of Minneapolis). Most of my riding these days is on gravel roads.

Nothing like a solo ride, alone with my thoughts to clear my head.

Be well, everyone.

Kevin g
Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Participated in an unofficial ride yesterday. Club has suspended all official rides for at least two weeks. There were about a dozen A's, maybe 15 B's and a handful (<10) of C's. More than I expected, actually.

I was with the B/C group; we usually roll out together. For the most part we all rode in a much looser pack than normal, and did more pace lining.
Our local groups are pretty successfully squashing attempts to meet up for 'unofficial' official rides. I'm personally just skipping them for now and riding on my own or running a bit more.

Seems like pacelining would be the greater-of-evils for group rides right now. I don't really want to ride behind a group of heavy-breathers.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM

I think that Jan Heine's attitude is sane: https://www.renehersecycles.com/adju...new-realities/.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Retired!

I'm conflicted, tho, about continuing to ride outdoors. We all know how easily an incident can happen (even while riding solo) that would require medical attention. Do I really want to put myself in a position of requiring a trip to the hospital and straining an overworked workforce? I dunno. Thoughts?

Kevin g
Old 03-18-2020, 09:44 AM

for sure .. . commuting to work until there wont be a job to ride to which will be soon.

Im not the type for group rides on the road at least. Youll def find me in the woods tho.

good luck and stay safe out there
Old 03-18-2020, 09:52 AM

I ride rural paved roads and have no plan to quit riding. Good weather days are few and far between this time of year. Today it's already up to 47 degrees and may hit 60, so I'm going.

I've had 10 wrecks over the years, broke 7 helmets, but never went to the ER.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Put in 45 miles yesterday, this afternoon I'll ride a similar distance. Beats watching Netflix all day...
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM

I'm 73 years old and have a suppressed immune system. Some would say that I should be holed up in my bunker and not even stick my nose out the door. But I'm out riding each day. Alone. Mainly on bike paths. And I'll keep doing it until somebody stops me and orders me home.

The bike keeps me sane. The knot in my stomach lets go after about 20 minutes of riding. I've spent 25 years living at risk and on borrowed time. I've been isolating myself in every other way, and if the virus catches up with me, so be it. I refuse to quit living in order to stay alive.