Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
There is a gym in the area that specializes on using the Concept2 ergometer for training. It's an awesome piece of equipment that I've used almost daily since my rowing days in college. I also know when you are doing intervals or pulling hard pieces stuff tends to fly when you are breathing hard. Not a place I would want to be hanging out in right now.

W.

fortunately, a concetp2 is something i DO have in my basement

agree, that rowing, or any high intensity cardio for that matter, generates a lot of "particulate".

the gyms around here have very popular spin classes, cardio dance stuff, etc. you're not going to avoid transmission in an environment like that, i dont think.

forget about the locker rooms!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
Thanks, I am sure being a moderator is a thankless job that requires a lot of time and effort. I appreciate the great job that all the moderators do for the forum.
and boom, now we are thanked
Old 03-12-2020, 11:02 AM

Yah unfortunately moderating is a tough job that has been an issue since the early dawn of the internet. (70s or 80s at least!)

Thanks for doing a good job here.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Folks are still flying from RDU to Toronto and back. Report from this morning is that Pearson is pretty empty. Next week?
Yes, for the weekend of 3/21-3/22. I figure that the worst that can happen is that the flight is cancelled and my fare is refunded. I don't see why two hours on a rather empty plane, and some more time in a rather empty airport, should be more dangerous than the things I do every day (e.g., going to the supermarket).
Old 03-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yah unfortunately moderating is a tough job that has been an issue since the early dawn of the internet. (70s or 80s at least!)

Thanks for doing a good job here.

Hey, we enjoy hearding you cats!

W.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
. I figure that the worst that can happen .
i would say the worst that can happen is that there is a pop-up spread of corona in Toronto, that get's added to the US's "watch list" and you have to quarantine to 2 weeks upon return.

now, that's probably unlikely, but it could happen right?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Governor Gavin Newsom and California public health officials have called for canceling or postponing gatherings of 250 or more people statewide through the end of March to slow the spread of the potentially deadly coronavirus disease COVID-19.

The new guidance further calls for canceling or postponing even smaller gatherings where those attending cannot keep six feet apart from each other, and limiting groups of older or unhealthier people more vulnerable to the disease to no more than 10.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I appreciate the fact that more establishments are placing trash cans next to the doors of their restrooms now. Makes it much easier to open the door holding a paper towel after you have washed your hands...then you can drop it right in.

W.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Sitting home with my kid today, trying to work remotely.

My wife went to work.

We have a High School kid who has 2 parents who are both positive.
Kid is also sick, and went to school for days while most likely contagious.

The Superintendent who has already given notice to retire closed the High School but not the other schools while they track down said students contacts. I'm very uncomfortable with it due to the # of families that have children in more than one school.

Friday is already a day off for our schools.. and my son was getting dismissed early for a doctor's appointment anyway so I kept him home.

Impossible to go for a bike ride home with him I guess, maybe I'll take him on one tomorrow if there is a lull in my work. I'm not worried about being out alone outside.
Yeah I am worried about my parents who watch my kids two days a week, and my young kids to a lesser extent (because it seems to hit older folks harder)... and the fact that I work at grad school that has a lot of international students and generally just has a lot of people coming and going.

Not so much worried for myself.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I appreciate the fact that more establishments are placing trash cans next to the doors of their restrooms now. Makes it much easier to open the door holding a paper towel after you have washed your hands...then you can drop it right in.

W.
been doing since the beginning of time.. trashcan near or not
Old 03-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Apologies in advance for the science.....

But here are a couple of papers I thought were interesting, indicating that taking the virus seriously and large-scale social distance-type interventions do work......
Old 03-12-2020, 11:17 AM

Besides the obvious “worst that can happen” would be another last minute travel ban goes into effect and you get stranded, or you end up having to self quarantine after cases are discovered and you find out after the fact.

Quote:
Yes, for the weekend of 3/21-3/22. I figure that the worst that can happen is that the flight is cancelled and my fare is refunded. I don't see why two hours on a rather empty plane, and some more time in a rather empty airport, should be more dangerous than the things I do every day (e.g., going to the supermarket).
Old 03-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
been doing since the beginning of time.. trashcan near or not
Same, but it just makes that much easier.

W.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The worst that could happen is that you catch it, don’t know it, spread it to someone more vulnerable than you. Social distancing is what I would choose.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The worst that could happen is that you catch it, don’t know it, spread it to someone more vulnerable than you. Social distancing is what I would choose.
this is the correct answer to most questions right now
Closed Thread