Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Also took the plunge on a smart trainer this year. One question, is there a way to use the device and ride courses that will cause the trainer to adjust resistance etc, but not pay a fee for an application like Zwift?

I used it during the free trial and while it was OK, (granted I only had an iphone that would connect with it at the time) I really just want to use the trainer and have it adjust resistance randomly or with some set courses, but not ride or race other people in real time. I'm fine watching a netflix show, and my tolerance for not going anywhere and sitting in a pool of my own sweat is limited to about an hour anyhow.

Is this possible?
You can also use the newer Garmins to drive the new smart trainers. Go ride your favorite loop and then ride it in the basement or wherever. My riding buddy does it all the time with his Neo and Garmin 520. He also uses zwift and trainer road but sometimes just wants to ride a loop he rides at the cabin. I don’t have specifics but it can’t be a big deal as he wouldn’t bother if it was.

Edit
Here is a link to garmin on how control your trainer https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...C1E8534CF.html

Last edited by commonguy001; 11-29-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
4K Apple TV + Zwift has been going pretty nice. This CABLE thing is nice too. It transmitts my ANT+ Power, HR, and Cadence to 1 channel of bluetooth to the apple TV. The apple TV can support 2 channels of bluetooth.

I use the CABLE to handle: Power, Cadence, Heart Rate
Kickr handles: Speed, Erg

Nice setup. BTW, do you notice signal lag when using the CABLE ANT+ BLE converter in relation to the Kickr that is connected directly by BLE to the Apple TV?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Daughter moved there. Grandchild there. No snow there....retirement there.
You'd think that the AZ/NM folks would capitalize on the weather and set up training camps, etc thru the winter, but IME from living in Tucson, people hibernate thru the winter there too.

Places like AZ, NM and W TX should be flooded with endurance athletes, but NOoooo

Me? As much as I admire all y'all's dedication to riding inside, I'd still rather get dressed and ride the road/trail. ...no matter how cold it is!

M
Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc143 View Post
Nice setup. BTW, do you notice signal lag when using the CABLE ANT+ BLE converter in relation to the Kickr that is connected directly by BLE to the Apple TV?
No lag noticed with Cadence, HR via CABLE. I have the kickr controlling the Power and Erg via bluetooth so that is really all that matters in the game as far as instant changes. Nothing noticable though.

I am tempted to hook everything (Kickr, HR, Quarq, HRM) up to the CABLE via ANT+ and have it all come across the same channel from the CABLE to the apple TV via BLE.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You'd think that the AZ/NM folks would capitalize on the weather and set up training camps, etc thru the winter, but IME from living in Tucson, people hibernate thru the winter there too.
Tucson is definitely a training destination, primarily for Mt Lemmon. I have a handful of friends who head that way every spring, and there's no shortage of large group training rides to jump into.

me? if I lived in AZ, I'd hibernate in the summer, ride in the winter.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:13 PM
shimergo

Bump from the dead.

Is the Apple TV 4K still the best bang for the buck option for good/smooth graphics? I'm about to get started with Zwift and I'll be using my iPad for now. (at least until I clean out the garage to make room for a more permanent TV setup).
Old 03-29-2020, 05:22 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Bump from the dead.

Is the Apple TV 4K still the best bang for the buck option for good/smooth graphics? I'm about to get started with Zwift and I'll be using my iPad for now. (at least until I clean out the garage to make room for a more permanent TV setup).
AppleTV 4k runs zwift very well but it can't natively use ANT+ signals. That being said, the only downside I have noticed is the limited number of bluetooth connections it can support, which is 3. 1 of those channels is usually taken up by the remote so that limits the incoming signals unless you have a ANT+/BLE bridge like Cable or the 4iiii Viiiiva HRM that can bundle all of those ANT+ and/or BLE signals into 1 channel. However, you can also use your phone or ipad running the companion app to expand the number of bluetooth signals.

Good summary here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM
DC Rainmaker summary here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...ple-tv-4k.html

Last edited by kppolich; 03-29-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 AM

My TV Area in the Basement...

gets a bit cluttered during Zwift sessions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6E7CBA8E-F3AC-431F-B515-1F9E1717296A.jpeg (131.4 KB, 47 views)

Tags
zwift